Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is safari crashing after ios9 upgrade

i upgraded to IOS 9 this morning and since the just about any web page in Safari with embedded video or video advertising is crashing. It quickly reloads and usually will proceed to play the video but it's a bit annoying. I've noticed similar behavior when following a facebook web link. Is there something I should be doing to fix this....clear browsing history or whatever...?

iPad Air, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 7:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 10:52 AM

iOS 9 Safari crashes when I use a text replacement in the URL field. As soon as it expands, Safari crashes. When I restart Safari, the tab is still there, awaiting a URL. Tried it 3 times and got consistent results.

Update: maybe it's not the text expansion that's crashing Safari. When the first letters I enter in an empty URL field are "sc " it crashes. I can expand "sc" after other letters are in the field.

37 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2015 10:52 AM in response to sjp27822

iOS 9 Safari crashes when I use a text replacement in the URL field. As soon as it expands, Safari crashes. When I restart Safari, the tab is still there, awaiting a URL. Tried it 3 times and got consistent results.

Update: maybe it's not the text expansion that's crashing Safari. When the first letters I enter in an empty URL field are "sc " it crashes. I can expand "sc" after other letters are in the field.

Oct 4, 2015 5:27 AM in response to sjp27822

With ios9.0.1 on my iPad 2 I am also getting a variety of issues with Safari. It crashes often, on a wide range of websites, usually more complex ones with a lot of advertising, and sometimes hangs when I am inputting text on the keyboard - it will just pause, wait for maybe ten seconds, and then suddenly play back all my keystrokes and input the text as I typed it.

Aso when I try to use the search bar it can sometimes become unresponsive for ten to thirty seconds. This is not quite as bad as the crashing problem but still close to making the device unusual or for research on the internet which is my current need.

I have tried clearing all my web data several times. I have done a restart. I have changed various settings. None of it has helped so far.

Oct 6, 2015 4:34 AM in response to sjp27822

In the end I have done a full restore to factory settings via iTunes, still using iOS 9.0.2 and without restoring to backup, which so far is giving good results, the device seems fast and responsive again. Setting up accounts and re installing apps is a minor hassle compared to having functional web browsing and keyboard again.

The problem in the past was intermittent and would vanish when I cleared the web history, only to return after a few days, so we will have to see if it stays like this, but it seems to have eliminated a lot of performance bottlenecks in browsing in several apps, switching between apps, and in the keyboard.

Oct 7, 2015 1:37 AM in response to sjp27822

So it seems the problem returns even after a full restore to factory settings. After about 20 hours of browsing on various websites I had my first crash on Cnet.com, and have had several since, although they are not as frequent as before (when they used to happen every ten minutes). A lot of the performance gains from the restore have stayed intact.

This is with safari as the only active app on my iPad 2.

Why is safari crashing after ios9 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.