Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not a good update

WHile the updated podcast app has some interesting new features, it is much harder to use. I was listening to one podcast but wanted to switch to a different one before finishing the one I was on. It took 8-10 tries to get the new one to play. Tapping on the new episode would give episode details Then hide them. Then give them, then hide them. Took forever to get it to play! Also, it is much harder to see which podcasts have I played episodes in the main my podcasts lists. I don't create podcast playlists and prefer to choose the next podcast after the one I'm listening to is done, but the badge app icons disappear for some unknown reason and I'm left trying to read the small light grey letters to see if I have I played episodes. This is not a good thing when driving. Also, the menu coloring is impossible to read when you are in some podcasts. Almost black letters on dark blue buttons? Who can read that???

User uploaded file

iPhone 5, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 7:30 PM

21 replies

Sep 17, 2015 8:39 PM in response to LatiPexie

It's always easy to be resistant to change. However, if you're you make a short trip to the Online iOS 9 for iPhone Guide at http://help.apple.com/iphone/9/#/ or the iOS 9 for iPhone iBook at https://help.apple.com/epub/iphone/en/ you can quickly learn how to create stations (were playlists) - one or more lists of unplayed subscription episodes - which are loaded automatically when the Podcast updates manually or on the schedule you set. Then podcasts will play in sequence while you focus on driving.

The new Podcast app is excellent, you just need to get use to different appearance of the interface. It gives us more options not less.

If you cannot figure out how to populate a station you create ( in the My Playlist tab), just ask and I'll explain it, though a couple minutes of reading will probably save you from typing.

Sep 18, 2015 6:01 AM in response to cyberbiker

I Do not wish to make a playlist. Like I said, for the way I use the app I prefer to choose the next one after the one I am listening to is done. It just works best for me. If I wanted to make a playlist I would do that. But is hours not be forced to make a playlist in order to make the app functional. It is not "being resistant to change". The functionality is very difficult to use in several places as I put in my post. And if you saw the picture, I'm sorry but the menu colors are impossible to read. I can't just chips to learn to read that. It's simply not functional.

Sep 18, 2015 7:00 AM in response to LatiPexie

I agree that is has nothing to do with resistance to change, this update is just bad. I also prefer to just select my next one when the one I'm listening to is done. I usually have no idea ahead of time what I will listen to next an creating a playlist would be a total waste of time. Also, is there now ANYWHERE that you can find the date the episode was uploaded? It used to display right on the list of all episodes and on the main play screen, but now it's nowhere! I can't keep track of what is new by title, but I know how long ago a new one was published. Now, without the date I have to start playing it to figure out if it's new?

Sep 18, 2015 8:34 AM in response to andreaminny

And my issue is that I used On-the-Go nearly exclusively as I am in my car a lot so it allowed to effectively set up my play list in the order I wanted to and then would just play automatically in the order I set it up while I was driving. So totally hands free. I can not for the life of me figure out how to replicate that effect. I tried setting up a station but it will only allow me to pull in "podcasts" not individual episodes of podcasts.

Sep 18, 2015 9:01 AM in response to cyberbiker

It should not require us to spend a day looking for it. Apple used to be intuitive. For this I could just go to windows and android. This is a SERIOUS downgrade in services. If we just "Fanboy" everything apple does they will never make the products we want. And the market is REALLY competitive. Right now, Androids are better than iPhones.

Do apple a favor. STOP being a fanboy! Help them compete.

Sep 18, 2015 10:20 AM in response to andreaminny

You see when an episode was uploaded in 4 ways.

1. In the Unplayed Episodes Tab look at the bottom oh the Episode explanation (may have to click more for long explanations. You'll see something like "September 18, 2015 at 07:49".

2. On the Unplayed Episodes Tab or in the Info icon (circled I) page of the My Podcasts Tab, tap the three dots to the right of the Episode Title and select View Full Description.

3. In the Colored Panel you'll see the date and time just to the right of the Episode icon.

4. Lastly, in the Settings for a Station, you can choose the play order of Oldest to Newest or the reverse.

Sep 18, 2015 10:56 AM in response to cyberbiker

Cyberbiker: Super arrogant to say "resistant to change", and very condescending.

Not all changes are good and designers aren't always right. I find that most designers don't really use (or understand) what they create.

Some of the changes I like (the music app style popup window, the idea of the "unplayed' tab).

I really don't like:

1. oversized episode list (makes it much harder to scroll through and see your episodes). It includes an unnecessary clip of the "description" of the episode...which is never informative and a waste of space. In the 20+ podcasts I have, not one has any useful information there that I will ever look at. Such a waste of space. They need to offer a compact size.

2. On the Go -- it's gone. Creating a station does not replace this (since you can't add individual episodes

3. Unplayed tab -- I won't use it mostly due to the waste of space (so hard to use when it takes up unnecessary space). but I get that some might. I don't like that this is the starting page of the app. (and you can't change it).

Sep 18, 2015 6:47 PM in response to ajrunner

I agree it is not resistance to change at all, some changes have been good, like the ability to stream podcasts and I support that but it seems apple wants to make this compulsory. My needs are different, I play many podcasts, I want them in release date order earliest to most recent, continue the next when finished, stop when push the button start from the same point when I push it again and only play if they are on my device, no streaming or mobile data. i live in Australia where mobile data is horrendously expensive. So I don't want the podcasts to stop and tell my mobile data is switched. I F@#$Kn know this because I turned it off. The app is getting worse and worse with each update. I can't even find play lists any more let alone mange podcasts the way I want. Clearly not a good update i think it is time to bite the bullet and find a third party app that might to the job.

Sep 18, 2015 9:50 PM in response to PCCone

You can do exactly what you say you want.

1. On the My Podcasts Tab create a new station called "All Unplayed" or something.

2. Include in it every podcast to which you subscribe.

3. In the Station Settings a) select Play Oldest to Newest, b) do not Group By Podcast, c) choose Episodes-All, Media type-All, Unplayed Only-On.

That will do it. In the future just select that station and click the top episode. It will play all the way to the most recent podcast on the bottom. If there is a subscription you don't want included in the Station, just remove it by sliding it to the left in The Station Settings.

This version is an improvement. Users just need to work with it and figure out where everything is.

Not a good update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.