Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 9 stuck at slide to upgrade

ios 9 has glitched on both my ipod and iphone. It says the update is complete and installed, but I am stuck at a white screen that says slide to upgrade.

I have connected both devices to iTunes on my computer and both have been recognized. I am unable to restore from my last backup, because I can not disable find my ipod, on the actual ipod. Same with the iphone.

iPhone 5, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 6:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 6:07 AM

Place the iOS device in Recovery Mode and then connect to your computer and restore via iTunes. The iPod will be erased.

iOS: Forgot passcode or device disabled

If recovery mode does not work try DFU mode.

How to put iPod touch / iPhone into DFU mode « Karthik's scribblings

For how to restore:

iTunes: Restoring iOS software

To restore from backup see:

Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup - Apple Support

If you restore from iCloud backup the apps will be automatically downloaded. If you restore from iTunes backup the apps and music have to be in the iTunes library since synced media like apps and music are not included in the backup of the iOS device that iTunes makes.

You can redownload most iTunes purchases by:

Downloading past purchases from the App Store, iBookstore, and iTunes Store

If problem what happens or does not happen and when in the instructions? When you successfully get the iPod in recovery mode and connect to computer iTunes should say it found an iPod in recovery mode.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2015 6:07 AM in response to CDurrant

Place the iOS device in Recovery Mode and then connect to your computer and restore via iTunes. The iPod will be erased.

iOS: Forgot passcode or device disabled

If recovery mode does not work try DFU mode.

How to put iPod touch / iPhone into DFU mode « Karthik's scribblings

For how to restore:

iTunes: Restoring iOS software

To restore from backup see:

Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup - Apple Support

If you restore from iCloud backup the apps will be automatically downloaded. If you restore from iTunes backup the apps and music have to be in the iTunes library since synced media like apps and music are not included in the backup of the iOS device that iTunes makes.

You can redownload most iTunes purchases by:

Downloading past purchases from the App Store, iBookstore, and iTunes Store

If problem what happens or does not happen and when in the instructions? When you successfully get the iPod in recovery mode and connect to computer iTunes should say it found an iPod in recovery mode.

Sep 19, 2015 1:04 AM in response to oos2109

The you will have to place the iPod in Recovery mode or DFU mode like I said in my previous reply and then restore via iTunes

oos2109 wrote:

What if my ipad has never been synced before with any computer. Each computer I connect it to is making me trust the computer from the iPad but i can't because it's stuck on this slide to upgrade screen.

Sep 19, 2015 3:03 AM in response to CDurrant

Hello, I restored my iPod twice. First I didn't choose the "as a new iPod" thing and it didn't change a thing, he still was stuck on the slide thing. But in the second try I said that it was a new iPod and it worked without any problems. maybe it's just a coincidence but I still thought that I should tell you

Thank's and good luck!

PS: I'm sorry for my English, I don't usually speak English and the names of the devices aren't the same because my iTunes is in french so I kind of translated it

Upgrade of the post: I tried to restore the backup and it came back to the problem. So my only choice is to lose everything I had before :/

Sep 19, 2015 5:20 AM in response to CDMinogue

Same thing happened to me. I tried the factory reset and restore button as well via iTunes but to no avail. My iphone is just going in circles and now I can't use it. It just asks for the passcode then opens to the white screen with the apple logo. After a small portion of the updating line is filled, it goes back to the passcode. Please share ASAP once you find a solution.

Sep 19, 2015 6:15 AM in response to CDurrant

My ipad 2 hit HT205239. I'm still wrestling with $#@! itunes on Windows to get it recovered.

One tip for others -- disable "find my ipad" and keep it off until after your IOS 9 upgrade is complete!

When my IOS 9 upgrade was nearing completion, I was asked if I wanted to enable "Find my IPAD" and location services. I clicked yes (mistake!), and then ended up in the endless "slide-to-unlock" loop.

I doubt "find my IPAD" caused the problem, but it did really complicate my recovery effort since it turned on "activation lock" which has made it difficult or impossible for itunes to wipe or restore the device. The only way to disable activation lock is by going to Settings on the working device. My device is not working, so I have no way to turn off activation lock. It's a catch-22. And it stinks!

Sep 21, 2015 11:17 PM in response to CDurrant

I upgraded my 5s to ios9 after an App insisted I needed too, that was on the 18th its now the 22nd. Since then I have only been able to get the phone going unless I restore as a new phone and loose everything (contacts, emails etc..) I have trolled the net since Friday and spent several hours attempting everybody's various fixes (and i am pretty certain I have tried everything) NOTHING WORKS FOR MY PHONE!

Stuck on slide screen if I try an restore with a previous back up.

Apple we need an update ASAP rather than having your customers try and work this out for themselves, how long do we need to wait? I am so ****** at present with the lost time, lost calls, and lost business. HELP!

Sep 22, 2015 1:10 AM in response to Upgraded..

@upgraded, I would be surprised if Apple released a fix for this right away. I would assume that with testing, approval for release, and so on (and they won't want to rush a fix for fear of adding even more bugs) that it'll be, I don't know, weeks probably?

My iphone 4s was starting to get long in the tooth for me anyway so I took the occasion to replace it with a newer phone, which came loaded with iOs 8.3, and a restore from backup with that iOs worked fine. I'll wait quite a while before risking the iOs upgrade next time. Apple does not have a good track record with their dot zero upgrades.

As we've all seen, the sketchy thing about OS upgrades is there's no going back. No way to revert to "how my phone was before I started this". (Well who knows maybe there's some way with jailbreaking but that's never interested me. I don't want an illegal phone...)

Sep 23, 2015 3:11 AM in response to Upgraded..

I had the same issue and finally bit the bullet and tried to restore but it still wouldn't work! I spent 37 minutes on the phone with apple support, ending up at the same slide to upgrade screen and was told i would have to wait for the new upgrade to fix the problem but they didn't know when that would be!! I now have lost everything i didn't back up, have a semi restored iPad that i can't use 😠

ios 9 stuck at slide to upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.