Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

spotlight search iOS 9 contacts not showing in results

I upgrade to iOS 9 this week excited about the new search feature. The only thing I used spotlight for on iOS 8 was quickly pulling up a specific contact. It seems Apple has created a iOS that returns everything except the obvious result I'm looking for and when I search for a name everything under the sun returns except the contact card I am looking for. I feel like it should be called "unnecessarily complicated and unintuitive search." Is anyone else experiences this? Does anyone have a fix?

-Andrew

iPhone 6, iOS 9, Spotlight Search

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 7:05 AM

224 replies

Nov 28, 2017 4:10 PM in response to acesport14

Had the same problem in iOS 11 along with email app freezing then crashing. Here's how I fixed it. First I downloaded all my photos off of iCloud. That took a couple days. Then I made sure my contacts were synced. Went to the garage and selected a 2 LB hammer and beat the everloving crap out of my POS iPhone. Picked up a Samsung galaxy phone (the cheapest model) and have never been happier. After 7+ years of steadily worsening "updates" I'm done and oh so happy.

Sep 18, 2015 7:18 AM in response to acesport14

Same problem. I solved it by shutting down all the spotlight switches in Preferences/General/Spotlight. Then restart the phone by pressing Home and Side buttons at the same time.

Finally, toggle on only the contact switch in spotlight. Wait for a few minutes and all the contacts must appear now.

Later, you can enable other searches if you want.

I hope this can solve the problem to anyone.

Fernando

Sep 18, 2015 7:26 AM in response to acesport14

Just downloaded IOS9 on my iPhone 5 and seem to have all functions EXCEPT phone function: NO CONTACTS, NO CALL HISTORY NO FUNCTION ON number keypad. I can't use my phone as a PHONE!!!!! it seems i am not an exception. WHAT TO DO I am am ready to throw my 'non' phone out the window. Thanks Apple!!! I await my new IPHONE 6 next week with much trepidation!!

Sep 19, 2015 10:49 AM in response to fersoft2009

I followed your directions exactly and it did absolutely nothing. I have only "contacts" on under General\Spotlight Search and no contacts show up at all. The thirty or so "groups" of contacts that I have are no longer alphabetized in iOS 9. I wonder if the problem is in the iOS version of Contacts.

I just figured it out folks - When I just added a new contact to a new group that I created guess what? That contact showed up in Spotlight Search!

Get to work Apple. I don't think there is going to be an easy workaround for this one.

spotlight search iOS 9 contacts not showing in results

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.