Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weird gray oval with a timer (0:00) over my "compose" box in Messages

I updated to iOS 9.0 on my iPhone 5s a few days ago. About an hour ago, a gray oval appeared over the top of the "compose" box when I want to send a text or iMessage. The oval covers the entire typing box, and has what looks like a timer (0:00) on the right side. It looks as if it is wanting me to record something. It's completely blocking the tying box, so I cannot see what I've typed until after I send the message. I can't find any way to make it go away.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2015 2:25 AM

I couldn't find out what this weird oval was but turned it off by going to settings-messages, then turned on show subject field. I have now turned this off again & the oval hasn't come back, but I want to know what it was & how to make it go away a bit easier. Very annoying if you want to respond to a text quickly.

63 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2015 2:25 AM in response to wmorton33

I couldn't find out what this weird oval was but turned it off by going to settings-messages, then turned on show subject field. I have now turned this off again & the oval hasn't come back, but I want to know what it was & how to make it go away a bit easier. Very annoying if you want to respond to a text quickly.

Sep 21, 2015 11:01 AM in response to Kritterkrisp

This started with the iOS 9 upgrade..I found a fix too...If I simply restart my phone it goes away for a day or two. When it comes back, I simply restart. I called Apple and they said you can plug your phone into your computer and reset your phone as a new device. This should permanently fix it but you will lose all data. Apple advised to wait for a bug fix that should be coming soon.

Sep 21, 2015 2:03 PM in response to wmorton33

Why is it so comforting to realize I am not the only doofus (not that any one else is a doofus, I speak only for this doof-I) who had this bizarre thing happen...and to know there are all those OTHER bizarre things out there...I shall make something and permanently attach it to the case for my Iphone and for my IPad...that says DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DOWNLOAD THE NEWEST IOS.....for anything...just wait grasshopper, til the buggy fixes are out chomping up the booboos!

Sep 21, 2015 3:25 PM in response to Kritterkrisp

Kritterkrisp wrote:

Why is it so comforting to realize I am not the only doofus (not that any one else is a doofus, I speak only for this doof-I) who had this bizarre thing happen...and to know there are all those OTHER bizarre things out there...I shall make something and permanently attach it to the case for my Iphone and for my IPad...that says DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DOWNLOAD THE NEWEST IOS.....for anything...just wait grasshopper, til the buggy fixes are out chomping up the booboos!

LIKE!!

Weird gray oval with a timer (0:00) over my "compose" box in Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.