Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are my notes messed up after iOS9 update?

What the flip Apple?!

I updated my iPad Air 2 to iOS 9 today. It included an update to the Notes app.

Somehow, the update has exchanged all the Returns in my nicely organized lines of text, for spaces.

Now I have to go through 100+ notes and put the line breaks back in, so all my separate lines of information aren't one big glob of text at the top of the note.

Example:

BEFORE UPDATE:

Shopping List:

Bread

Mayonnaise

Cheese

Dog Food

Paper Towels

AFTER UPDATE:

Shopping List: Bread Mayonnaise Cheese Dog Food Paper Towels

APPLE! PLEASE Please please...don't go the way of Microsoft and make your loyal users dread updating their devices, for fear of finding some hidden glitch that makes things worse instead of better!! I can understand something like this happening with 3rd party apps whose code may have incompatibilities, but THIS IS A CORE APP! It's un-deleteable...it's the simplest app in iOS...it doesn't even have a sorting option! It's an iron anvil of an app! How in THE FLIP can you jack it up??!!

Has this happened to anyone else? Anyone have a work around?

I seriously doubt a patch can fix this. The information in my notes has permanently changed.

No patch can go through and figure out what is supposed be a line break, and what is supposed to be a space.

In all fairness...my iCloud notes seem to be unaffected. It's only the notes stored on my device.

I wanted to update my iPhone today, but am pensive now.

Since I always do a full, manual backup of my devices before a major update...I will Restore Backup and see if I can archive just the notes on my ipad somewhere. Perhaps a sync with Outlook will do the trick.

iPad Air, iOS 9, null

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 1:16 PM

31 replies

Sep 18, 2015 1:29 PM in response to MrGoodHammer

You are not addressing Apple here. This is a user to user support forum. So all of the "Apple, please" and the "what the flip" are not getting to whom you wished them to get to. Feedback to Apple goes here. http://www.apple.com/feedback and click on the appropriate subject area. I don't have any notes currently, so I cannot say if mine acted the same way as yours did. Although I haven't updated my iPad Mini yet, getting ready to, so I guess I can create a note similar to yours and see what happens.

Sep 18, 2015 2:36 PM in response to MrGoodHammer

I upgraded my iPad Mini with iOS 9. I decided not to update Notes at first to see what that would do. I had typed in the same list you did. There was no change. I went into the Note app to the area to upgrade it to the latest version, and then checked, no change. I've powered the device off and back on again, after force closing Notes, no change. Not sure what might have happened with yours, but I'm sorry (in a way) to report that mine did not react the same way that yours did. And unfortunately, I cannot think of a reason it would have done it as well.

Sep 18, 2015 11:01 PM in response to MrGoodHammer

I have the same exact problem with line breaks on my iPad Mini 2. Oddly, some notes are not affected, but most are. It is definitely related to the new Notes app. When I later upgraded my iPhone 5 to iOS 9 I intentionally did not update to the new Notes app and the formatting on the iPhone is fine.

One workaround I'm doing is to email the notes directly to myself from my iPhone with the correct line breaks. I copy-paste the email text into the new Notes app on the Mini. It's certainly not an acceptable workaround, but it is better than manually inserting line breaks.

I hope someone will come up with a better solution.

Sep 18, 2015 11:33 PM in response to MrGoodHammer

OP, backup your Outlook data before syncing with your iOS devices. FYI, I usually sync my iOS devices with iTunes for Windows and sync Notes to MS Outlook. After I synced my Mini with the new Notes app to Outlook, it messed up my Outlook data. I now have duplicate notes: the original note and a duplicate without line breaks. What a nightmare!

I suspect that there is an incompatibility with the new Notes file format and MS Outlook.

Sep 19, 2015 7:13 AM in response to golfgrouch

FYI, my iPad Mini is the first one. I also use Outlook on my computer and my notes are synced. I upgraded my 5s to the new Notes and it did not affect any of them I tested. It did not affect my iPad, but then my original Mini gets the upgrade to Notes, but not the ability to draw. Since I sync with Outlook on my Windows computer, that affects your contention that it is Outlook incompatibility.

Sep 19, 2015 3:15 PM in response to MrGoodHammer

I've been trying to resolve this same issue on my iPad AIR and IPhone 6 wirh Apple since 10 am EST this morning. I've restores the iPad from the device itself once and once from iTunes and the iPhone from the devise itself once. I'm currently waiting for them both to be fully restored from my iCloud backup, however, the rep who's been helping me contacted tier two who indicated that I should try to

1. Log out of iCloud from my devices simultaneously

2 Answer yes when it asks if I want to delete the information on my phone after signing out of iCloud

3. Sign in to iCloud again

4. Answer yes when it asks if I want to merge the information.

Let me know if those steps work!

Sep 19, 2015 3:30 PM in response to golfgrouch

I just got back in and was able to connect both my iPad Mini and the iPhone 5s and I discovered as of today, the ability to sync Notes in iTunes and Outlook has disappeared. Funny thing was I had updated iTunes before I updated the two devices. I'm not sure what it was. I didn't update the Notes application on the iPad at first, maybe that was what it was, but once I updated it and synced both devices it must have changed. Guess I'm going to have to figure something else out. It would be interesting to know why that was changed. Time to write some feedback to Apple on the feedback page.

Why are my notes messed up after iOS9 update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.