Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Legacy Plan 200GB

I feel a little confuse with iCloud legacy plans.

I was charged to renew my iCloud today and I found out that actually my 200GB legacy plan is more expensive than the 200GB monthly plan.

The renewal fee for 200GB legacy plan is $44.99/year, the 200GB monthly plan is only $2.99/month, means $35.88/year. How come a legacy plan is more expensive than a normal plan? (See attachment). It doesn't make sense at all.

I don't mind paying $44.99/year. However, I think you should either increase my storage volume or decrease the price for my legacy plan. Else, please refund. Thank You!

User uploaded file

Posted on Sep 18, 2015 7:09 PM

9 replies

Sep 19, 2015 5:31 AM in response to joshtew

I'm having the exact same issue here in the UK. I've been searching the internet for an answer but haven't found anything. I was hoping they would at least upgrade the storage as they have for their monthly customers but there has been no change yet.

I'm due to renew in 8 days so I'm hoping to find an answer before then.

Their web article states the following:

If you purchased a monthly plan before September 16, 2015, your account was upgraded automatically. If you're currently on an annual plan, you'll continue to renew annually at that rate. If you select a new monthly plan, your annual plan won't be available to you.

So the annual price remains the same but it says nothing specific about the storage space.

Sep 22, 2015 4:20 PM in response to joshtew

I'm in the same boat. I have the legacy plan of 25GB for $11.99 per year, and it automatically renews on Sept 30. There is no reason that I can see why anyone would want to keep this current plan instead of upgrading to the 50GB for $0.99 per month, which is essentially the same price. The thing I'm curious about is the last time that they upgraded iCloud storage, I got an extra 5GB based on my legacy plan since the MobileMe days, and I didn't have to do anything to receive it. Will I get that again if I do nothing but allow it to automatically renew? Or will I automatically be placed in the 50GB plan if I do nothing? Or is Apple encouraging all legacy plan subscribers to upgrade to the new plan?

Not sure if I should choose a new plan, or leave it on my legacy 25GB plan (and when it automatically renews possibly get an extra 5GB, or at least get annual billing instead of monthly).

Oct 6, 2015 11:00 AM in response to joshtew

I called Apple support for exactly the same question. They told me that there is nothing that can be done about it, and I have to change plan. I was put on the legacy plan that Apple automatically offered last year: 200 gb for 44.99 usd per year. Now, my plan has been automatically renewed. Now, here is the thing: Apple forgot about this extra people who are its most loyal customers, and sticks them to a 25% higher rate for the same storage plan, *without even telling them about it*! No message, no warning, no possibility to have a higher storage space for that money. Not good, Apple.

iCloud Legacy Plan 200GB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.