Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

after I send a text I get a grey area in the message box.

I have a iphone 6. The message area is greyed out. I can type text messages but cant see what I am typing. there is also a timer/clock? in it. usually just says 0:00. Happened after update. Thank you in advance

iPhone 6

Posted on Sep 19, 2015 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2015 12:11 PM

Same here after updating to OS9... The Microphone for text switches on by itself and I have to restart the phone to get rid of the greyed audio box which sits itself over the message area so you cant see what you typed. How do you turn off the mic for text messages? iPhone 4s BTW

42 replies

Sep 29, 2015 1:33 PM in response to squadFifty1

I'm using an iPhone 4s. My phone is still on iOS 8xx and works fine. My wife's is on the latest (9.0.1) and has the same problem. Resetting the phone takes away the grey blob, but lifting it to her ear activates the "raise to speak" feature that creates the 0:00 bubble again. No option found in "messages" to remove the voice text feature, no way to disable the lift to speak feature (that I've found). We do not use iMessage, SMS only. Tried turning off Siri, no luck. Next step is to roll back, but that's a pain. Fortunately I think our latest backup on her phone was still in the 8xx iOS.

after I send a text I get a grey area in the message box.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.