Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't delete iCloud backup, storage full

After upgrading my iPhone 6 Plus to IOS 9, my iCloud storage shows 5GB of my 25GB available. It shows an iPad Air (not yet updated to iOS9) backup of 516MB, and an iPhone backup of 0 KB, which I cannot delete (This backup cannot be deleted at this time). Documents and Data only 6.9MB, but only 5 GB available, and not enough room to continue to back up the iPhone. The 19GB iPhone backup appears to have been corrupted and cannot be deleted or updated by the phone. Looks like lots of folks are having similar issues. Any solutions?

Apple has been spending lots of energy creating new, exciting products but has been lax on supporting the back end, which is just as important. iCloud for Windows still not updated for Windows 10, and iTunes has issues with Windows 10, not resolved in iTunes 12.3. Come on, Apple!

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 19, 2015 11:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2015 1:04 PM

on the phone: Settings- General- Storage & iCloud Usage, or Settings- iCloud- Storage- Manage Storage (either one) shows Backups: Joe's iPhone (ThisiPhone) 0KB. Click on the backup, it shows Latest Backup- Never (since I tried to delete it- before it showed 9/16 which was the last backup before iOS 9 upgrade), backup size 0 bytes. Option to DELETE BACKUP brings up "Do you want to TURN OFF BACKUP and delete all backup data for this iPhone from iCloud?" Clicking "Turn Off and Delete" shows "deleting....."and it stops. But the iPhone backup 0KB is still listed, and there are still only 5GB of space available - the 0KB backup is taking up its usual 19GB, and has NOT been deleted. The option to delete is gone until I restart the phone.

There is no other way on the iPhone to turn off iCloud backup, is there?

51 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2015 1:04 PM in response to Winston Churchill

on the phone: Settings- General- Storage & iCloud Usage, or Settings- iCloud- Storage- Manage Storage (either one) shows Backups: Joe's iPhone (ThisiPhone) 0KB. Click on the backup, it shows Latest Backup- Never (since I tried to delete it- before it showed 9/16 which was the last backup before iOS 9 upgrade), backup size 0 bytes. Option to DELETE BACKUP brings up "Do you want to TURN OFF BACKUP and delete all backup data for this iPhone from iCloud?" Clicking "Turn Off and Delete" shows "deleting....."and it stops. But the iPhone backup 0KB is still listed, and there are still only 5GB of space available - the 0KB backup is taking up its usual 19GB, and has NOT been deleted. The option to delete is gone until I restart the phone.

There is no other way on the iPhone to turn off iCloud backup, is there?

Sep 20, 2015 3:07 PM in response to Tony_Neutral Bay

I spent the morning on the phone with Apple. After making me sign out of iCloud and back in, then wiping and restoring my phone (what do you expect??), they finally escalated the ticket. They were able to "release the storage space", which immediately gave me back the missing space (corrupted directory on Apple server as I said all along), but on my iPhone it still shows a backup of 0kb that I cannot delete. I will make a new backup of the phone, since I now have room, and see if that allows the date and backup size to catch up with reality...

The Apple folks were very nice. They gave me contact info (which I may need to use still!), and promised they would stay on it until it was fixed.

Sep 19, 2015 12:13 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Turning back up off on the iPhone goes with deleting the backup - that is what doesn't work.

If I switch in iTunes from "backup to iCloud" to "back up to this computer", and then back to iCloud, it still shows the phantom 19GB of space occupied. If I click "back up now", it goes through the process, but still shows last iCloud backup is from 9/16, before the iOS 9 upgrade - it does not update.o

Looks like the folder directory on Apple's server is corrupted. Last backup shows 0k, but is taking up 19GB, and it can't be deleted or updated.

Sep 19, 2015 1:34 PM in response to Winston Churchill

I was looking for that setting. Turned backup off, restarted the phone. iPhone backup no longer listed under "manage storage", but still only 5GB available - the phantom backup up is still taking up room in the directory. Turned it back on, said "backup now", starts to back up, then popup "cannot be backed up because there is not enough iCloud storage available. Apple server file allocation table is corrupted...

Sep 19, 2015 1:52 PM in response to JosephWit

I also have a bunch of "phantom space" in my backup set, though in my case it's only about 3 GB. It's still very frustrating though, because I can see on iCloud.com that 9.5 GB are devoted to backups, but on any of my devices it only lists 6.9 GB of backups (i.e., it's impossible to delete more than 6.9 GB). I'd be perfectly willing to nuke all the backups and start fresh in order to reclaim the space, but they don't even give us that option.

Can't delete iCloud backup, storage full

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.