Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not able to open attachments in email after dowloading ios 9

why do i keep getting this message This message has not been downloaded from the server. when the attachment was there before i downloaded ios9

iPad Air, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 20, 2015 12:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2015 9:11 AM

This is ridiculous. I have resent e-mails to myself that had the error of "This message has not been downloaded from the server", they show up with the entire e-mail message for a day then I go back in the next day and receive that error. I have important e-mails that I save on my phone for traveling but now they are rendered useless. I have looked all over the place for a fix but all I find are IMAP/POP suggestions. I didn't change a single setting in my mail app yet once I upgraded to IOS 9 this issue started.

79 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2015 9:11 AM in response to Marciacamarilloca

This is ridiculous. I have resent e-mails to myself that had the error of "This message has not been downloaded from the server", they show up with the entire e-mail message for a day then I go back in the next day and receive that error. I have important e-mails that I save on my phone for traveling but now they are rendered useless. I have looked all over the place for a fix but all I find are IMAP/POP suggestions. I didn't change a single setting in my mail app yet once I upgraded to IOS 9 this issue started.

Sep 21, 2015 7:04 AM in response to Marciacamarilloca

The same thing keeps happening to me too....the email shows up for a few minutes/hours and then the next time I go look at it then I get the "this item has not been downloaded from the server" in the body of the email and my entire message is gone.

I had travel documents, work orders, etc....saved and now I have no access to those emails since upgrading?
Any ideas on what can be done to stop this from happening in the future?

Sep 22, 2015 7:47 AM in response to Marciacamarilloca

I am also suffering from this problem (iPad Air - A1474) since upgrading to IOS 9. The silly thing is the problem only occurs on my iPad - my iPhone 6 and my MacBook Pro Retina are fine.

I get so mad at Apple when they issue new software that makes problems for devices that are not the most recent. I wonder if this same problem is happening with the newest iPads?

I wonder if Apple will take note and issue a software up-grade that resolves this problem?

Sep 22, 2015 3:28 PM in response to Marciacamarilloca

What service provider is everyone on this thread using? I am using Comcast. Here is what I discovered: Upon updating to IOS 9, it changed my default settings in the mail app to make my Comcast e-mail IMAP instead of POP. POP is the way I set it up. With IMAP, it is supposed to be a better protocol and better for managing multiple devices. The problem is, once you delete it from one, it disappears from the other, where as POP saves a copy to the device whether or not you delete it from another device or the server. What I had to do was delete my current configuration and re-add it. Now for some reason the phone in IOS 9 automatically wants to default to IMAP protocol so you have to trick it to enable POP. When you are adding your new (old) e-mail make sure your username is correct but purposely type in the wrong password. The phone will attempt to verify your e-mail address and error out because of the wrong password. This will open a screen where you can add it as POP. Add everything in POP versus IMAP and I believe it will remedy your issues. At least it has for me for the time being. Give it a shot.

Sep 22, 2015 9:01 AM in response to Sonny Disco

Sadly, this is not the answer. My iPad is linked to the incoming servet via POP3, not IMAP.

I Actually tried changing it to IMAP ( as my iPhone is IMAP and that's working fine) but all that achieved was to delete ALL my emails. The mail box wax totally empty. I had to link it up to my laptop and use the backup facility to restore to step 1.

My technical knowledge is limited so I am wary of making too many changes that I don't understand. It's annoying to think that Apple hadn't sussed this out before they released IOS 9.

Sep 23, 2015 6:02 AM in response to Retired Optimist

I am very frustrated by it....I had travel documents, purchase receipts that I CANNOT get another copy of, and other things saved that are no longer readable....I've tried everything..uninstalling, reinstalling, sending it to myself again, etc...nothing works!!! Its been a hassle tracking down the stuff I can get "copies" of but there are quite a few things I can no longer get copies of....

I would hope Apple is reading this and doing something????

By the way this is happening on both my ipad 3 and my iPhone 5s after the upgrade...

Sep 23, 2015 8:31 AM in response to Retired Optimist

I was chatting with Apple support for an hour at work last night. They could not figure out the problem. I had to go home, the man provided me with his e-mail to contact him once I got home so we could resolve this. He never answered my e-mail and I am stuck with the problem. I would suggest downgrading back to IOS 8.4.1 until someone from Apple can first acknowledge the problem, then fix it. The only things that come up with our issues in a google search is this thread and one other that is similar. GARBAGE!

Sep 23, 2015 9:26 AM in response to Sonny Disco

I think Apple rebuilt the Mail app for ios 9, which created this bug everyone is dealing with. One thing I noticed is that before ios 9, the mail app was allocating up to 1.1-1.2 gigabytes of memory on my iPad. There was no way to reduce the size of the mail program's excessive need for memory...deleting all mail in your folders had no affect. Now, after updating to ios 9, the Mail app uses a mere 14.6 megabytes of memory. So, memory allocation has changed drastically with this app. I was praising that I gained over 1 Gig of memory on my iPad, but cussing out Apple for creating this highly undesirable bug!

Sep 23, 2015 9:38 AM in response to captnfi

I noticed that too...before my email app took 1.4GB of storage and I seriously could not figure out what was taking up that much room (as I thought it was my emails until I really condensed them and nothing had changed)...so now I notice it says 80MB now for taking up space (which is great) but not at the expense of not having my email at all (lol)

Very frustrated during this time.....

Sep 23, 2015 10:40 AM in response to Lv2stamp

Its not quite as simple as going back to IOS 8 - there are some aspects you lose by doing so and most of us don't have the technical know-how to do it anyway.

Its a shame the Apple guy didn't follow through on his promise to follow up with e-mail contact with Sonny Disco - if he's bamboozled by it, then he should at least pass the problem on to the higher echelons of tech-power within Apple.

The fact that the memory usage is now radically reduced indicates a deliberate action on behalf of the software writers - I sincerely hope they get told to put it right PDQ. The longer this issue goes on, the more critical it becomes - especially for those who rely on only one device. At least the problem hasn't raised its head (YET) on laptops (Macs). God help us all if they take the same route with the next version of the operating system for Macs!!!! (El Capitan I think).

Not able to open attachments in email after dowloading ios 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.