Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After ios 9 upgrade keyboard freezes and lags in every app

The iPhone itself isn't frozen, I can double click and exit any app, I can switch apps, but after the upgrade, I cannot type anything without the keyboard freezing terribly. The phone is unusable to type emails, respond to text, enter web pages or anything involving the keyboard. I have soft reset the phone and rebooted several times. I am not using any third party keyboards. I have disabled predictive text, no changes. If you type on the keyboard, it will slowly add the text youre typing long after you complete pushing the buttons.

This is occurring on my iPhone 6 (ios 9).

<Edited By Host>

iPhone 6, iOS 9, null

Posted on Sep 21, 2015 9:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2017 6:12 AM

I started having this problem in iOS 10 on both my iPhone 7 and iPad Air 2. I was hopeful iOS 11 would fix the problem, but, alas, it persisted after I upgraded both devices yesterday. I decided to try @Stix_UK suggestion and, so far, it has worked. I disabled iCloud Drive in the Settings app. All typing/keyboard issues went away. I have since turned iCloud Drive back on and, so far, the issue has not returned. I'll update after some time has passed in case it comes back.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2017 6:12 AM in response to Stix_UK

I started having this problem in iOS 10 on both my iPhone 7 and iPad Air 2. I was hopeful iOS 11 would fix the problem, but, alas, it persisted after I upgraded both devices yesterday. I decided to try @Stix_UK suggestion and, so far, it has worked. I disabled iCloud Drive in the Settings app. All typing/keyboard issues went away. I have since turned iCloud Drive back on and, so far, the issue has not returned. I'll update after some time has passed in case it comes back.

Oct 8, 2015 8:30 PM in response to rileysdad

Try the typical troubleshooting steps.

Turn the phone off and turn on.

Then try Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings (Will not delete data (pictures, texts, etc.)

If these don't work Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Contents and Settings. (Factory Restore, Deletes Everything)

You can attempt to restore from the backup (iCloud or iTunes)

If the backup brings the issue back, then you will have to restore again and Setup as New.

You can recover your contacts by logging in with the account they are tied to (iCloud, Gmail, Yahoo, etc)

Oct 9, 2015 4:07 PM in response to rileysdad

I'm having the same problem. The keyboard just freezes and becomes ULTRA LAGGY!! If a keep typing even after it stops working and wait a little bit, after a few LONG seconds, everything i wrote and wasn't appearing starts estou appear by it self. It is VERY frustrating. I contacted apple's support and they told me to restore from scratch, but that didn't work. After that they told me to do the same thing, but in a different computer and different network. Honestly, i don't see how this would solve this problem...They also told me that it could be a firmware problem...It all started after IOS 9.0.2. I'm VERY FRUSTRATED with this problem!!!

Nov 9, 2015 11:17 AM in response to Bob_Lelys

I can't find the thread I posted in, but people have done what I did to fix mine and it fixed them too

"reset all settings" do it TWICE. After it reboots, once, do a reset all settings again! This fixed me, but I did both things shown above.

Also, in addition, IN keyboard settings, I think in accessibility, change the lowercase keyboard to upper case, or vice versa. Whatever it's currently set on, CHANGE IT to lower or all caps. They key here is changing it to what is wasn't set on originally.

Jul 26, 2016 1:25 PM in response to rileysdad

I've had no luck fixing this on my own device. I have isolated it so far to know a few things:

• Its not hardware, as they did a swap, and I set up as new and the problem returns. (once I put in my iCloud info)
  • I've set up as new (DFU restore), and manually rebuilt my iPhone, and the typing lag comes back. (once I put in my iCloud info)
  • It seems to be within my iCloud account, as I've used a new iCloud account and can't reproduce the issue.
  • I can't narrow it down to one particular service that is syncing from my iCloud account. When I selectively/slow turn services on over the course of a few days, there is no real rhythm to when it happens. And turning the services off doesn't immediately fix it. Only signing out of iCloud completely does.
  • The more iCloud services turned on, the more likely the problem will happen with fewer resources being actively used.
  • Apple confirmed its a memory related issue, but was unable to provide more information than that.
  • I can get a brief reprieve by clearing application memory. (swiping up on any "running" app) This kills the battery, however.
  • The iOS 10 beta current build does not fix it.

After ios 9 upgrade keyboard freezes and lags in every app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.