Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9 - no USB hotspot anymore ...

I do not get it. How can someone (Tim Cook) and some company (Apple) fail so miserably. I had so many issues with the public iOS 9 beta that I better do not write a full bug report. I thought the GM or the final version woud be better. No way. Next bug:

My iPhone 6 running iOS9 will not connect via USB as a hotspot to my MBP with OS 10.10.5. Sure, I can switch on WiFi and connect wirelessly. But the nice part about the personal hotspot was the possiblity to disable WiFi on both devices and to share a 3G/LTE connection via USB directly.

No more...

Anyone experiencing the same issues ? (Not to metion the dozens of other issues these iOS and iTunes updates brought us?)

I am sorry Steve, people that took over from you just don't understand customer satisfaction.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), 3,1 GHz i7, 16GB, Iris 6100, 1TB SSD

Posted on Sep 21, 2015 11:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 1:34 AM

Greetings AppleStar,

Thank you for your continued use of the Apple Support Communities!

To begin troubleshooting, please make sure iTunes on your Mac is up to date. If iTunes is current and this issue continues, please use the attached link below to reinstall iTunes.

iTunes - Download iTunes Now - Apple

I can certainly understand your frustration due to Personal Hotspot via USB not functioning as expected after updating to iOS 9. I want to assure you that Apple does care about this situation and we are committed to helping you use Personal Hotspot again via USB, the way you prefer.

Please continue to be an asset in the communities by replying to this post and let us know if these steps helped to resolve the USB Personal Hotspot issue. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Best

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2015 1:34 AM in response to rgev1973

Greetings AppleStar,

Thank you for your continued use of the Apple Support Communities!

To begin troubleshooting, please make sure iTunes on your Mac is up to date. If iTunes is current and this issue continues, please use the attached link below to reinstall iTunes.

iTunes - Download iTunes Now - Apple

I can certainly understand your frustration due to Personal Hotspot via USB not functioning as expected after updating to iOS 9. I want to assure you that Apple does care about this situation and we are committed to helping you use Personal Hotspot again via USB, the way you prefer.

Please continue to be an asset in the communities by replying to this post and let us know if these steps helped to resolve the USB Personal Hotspot issue. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Best

Sep 22, 2015 1:03 PM in response to AppleJoe

I have the same exact problem (mostly the same specs, too) and my iTunes is the current version.

Joe, any sense of when the issue would be fixed, rather than having to download 240 MB and reinstall iTunes entirely?

(Not all of us have unlimited fast connections... downloading the 2 GB new iOS was trouble enough.)

Sep 25, 2015 7:43 PM in response to Gadget

Go into Time Machine to a timeframe before you installed iTunes 12.3. In the System/Library/Extensions folder, find the AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext. Tell Time Machine to Restore that file to the same folder. Replace the version that's there and restart your system. Test out your USB hotspot. Worked for me.

Sep 28, 2015 1:08 PM in response to AppleJoe

Well, this is the "new" Apple: Just change the official "12.3" download file without any change in version number!

So, yes. The old "12.3." iTunes installation archive had the bug! The new "12.3" installation archive has it patched.

Good to know it is fixed, but why on earth does Apple not communicate this to the public?

To fix it: Mae sure you RE-DOWNLOAD the NEW 12.3. iTunes to install it above the OLD 12.3 iTunes.

iOS 9 - no USB hotspot anymore ...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.