Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9: Cracking/Popping Noise

Hello all,

I'm hoping someone else is experiencing this issue. I use Spotify and Apple Music all the time via USB connector in my car and my wife's car. Always worked flawlessly. I updated my wife's iPhone 6 plus and my iPhone 6 to iOS 9. Right after I did that, I hear cracking and popping in the music when I'm playing it in my car and in my wife's car. I'm so disappointed and somewhat frustrated.

I'm hoping someone can help me.

Best,

Andy

<Email Edited by Host>

Posted on Sep 21, 2015 12:24 PM

20 replies

Sep 24, 2015 7:59 PM in response to bstep1012

Hello. Thank you for replying and (sorry to say) but I'm glad I'm not alone in this issue. I have 2 cars it is doing this on, a 2014 Chevy Suburban and a 2010 Buick LaCrosse. Both of our iPhones are experiencing the same issue in each car. Everything has been working fine up until the install of 9.1, 9.0.1 has made no difference too. The poor quality "crackling, popping" is happening for both Spotify and Apple Music.

Sep 28, 2015 2:26 AM in response to iTrippi

There is another thread here: iOS 9 lightening to USB audio clicks and pops

It describes the exact same problem.

As I noted in that thread it seems to be related to GM cars only. This thread seems to confirm that: Chevy's, Saab and Buick's

Maybe it's best to report your issues in that thread as it shows up on Google first. Might also attract Apple's attention more quickly if we make one topic with all cars and devices clearly listed.

Oct 4, 2015 2:45 PM in response to iTrippi

I have the same issue when listening Spotify or Apple Music using the usb port, I noticed that this is happening only when the iPhone is locked, when I just unlock the iPhone the cracking noise just goes away, once that I lock the iPhone the cracking noise is back.

or using Bluetooth the issue is not present

Oct 7, 2015 1:51 AM in response to ARB-82

I have the same issue with Saab 9-5 2010 latest version. I have a upgraded stero in my car Harman Kardon.

Please share issues in this topic: iOS 9 lightening to USB audio clicks and pops

And to all that have GM cars with this problems..PLEASE contact apple Customer Support, and your local GM Store. Get them to push APPLE to fix this serious problem with the sound.

Nov 11, 2015 12:36 PM in response to ARB-82

Many people seem to think this is an iOS9 + GM issue, but it's been going longer than that and is not just with GM vehicles.

I have a 2014 Nissan Pathfinder ST-L (with Bose audio) and have had the issue since purchase 18 months ago (was that iOS7?). At first everyone at Nissan and Apple denied that there even was an issue, so it's good that so many of you have now reported the issue to Apple.

I have a mix of 320MP3 and ALAC lossless files, so I originally presumed that was the issue, but the popping is indiscriminate across files.

This has been a serious problem for a long time. Considering I've always used Apple for audio related work, this is potentially my biggest gripe with their software in over 10 years. I have actually considered moving away from the iPhone purely to resolve this issue.

Nov 24, 2015 9:29 AM in response to iTrippi

I too have had problems with this issue too. Driving me nuts. It's both a problem with my Saab and Boxster too.

It got so bad that I returned my phone to Apple and they replaced it. Why is this issue not been fixed. Very disappointed with Apple at this point.

I used to have an issue with connectivity as Apple would update the OS then I would have a problem connecting to my 2010 Saab at all when the previous version worked. Common Apple, get it figured out!!

iOS 9: Cracking/Popping Noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.