Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 5s won't charge after IOS 9 upgrade.

My wife and I both have an Iphone 5s. We both upgraded to IOS 9 on Friday and neither of our phones would charge afterward. We used the same charger that had used previously, but we were out of town (in a hotel). Our phones are now completely dead, and still will not take a charge. The Apple store tech told us that both of our phones may have experienced a Power Spike because it would no longer charge and 're-booting' the battery did not work. I still owe AT&T $460 for these paper weights and Apple tells me it will be $270 each to repair... I am so frustrated. Anyone have a similar issue or any ideas on how to resolve? With a dead phone, I just can't do anything at this point.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 21, 2015 3:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2017 1:51 PM

Put a new battery and never let it go all the way dead again.

Both my phones did this after the update!

The update selects a percentage of phones for auto destruct of mostly older or second hand phones so you will be forced to buy new.

The up date will not destroy all phones.

I believe most second hand phones are targeted in the update to cause the phone to "over discharge" the battery.

The chip in the phone will not recharge a battery if discharged below set min.

Replace the battery and never disconnect the charger and it will work fine!

Ya !!!!

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2017 1:51 PM in response to Bret_W

Put a new battery and never let it go all the way dead again.

Both my phones did this after the update!

The update selects a percentage of phones for auto destruct of mostly older or second hand phones so you will be forced to buy new.

The up date will not destroy all phones.

I believe most second hand phones are targeted in the update to cause the phone to "over discharge" the battery.

The chip in the phone will not recharge a battery if discharged below set min.

Replace the battery and never disconnect the charger and it will work fine!

Ya !!!!

Sep 27, 2015 2:32 PM in response to Bret_W

The same happened to me as well except Apple's diagnosis was a faulty charging circuit caused by the firmware update. Apple made me the same offer initially but ultimately offered an iPhone 5S at 50% off. Their rationale is that the phone is out of warranty so even though it was an iOS update that "triggered" the fault, it's not Apple's fault. I'm very disappointed with their stance.

Sep 27, 2015 7:34 AM in response to jason923

I too updated my iPhone 5s to iOS 9.0.1 26th September and after that my phone is not charging and now battery is completely drained out and i cannot even restore to iOS 8.4 to test if that works. My phone is an refurbished phone bought 1 month back and not sure what the issue is. I am using original USB lightening cable but still no luck. This latest release ***** badly.

Sep 27, 2015 10:15 AM in response to Bret_W

This is exactly what happened to my 5c. After upgrading on Sept. 23 it would not recognize ANY Apple brand charger, even at the ATT store where I bought it. Once the battery drained, it was completely unusable, leaving me no way to retrieve the serial number needed to contact Apple. ATT said to replace the battery and recommended a local (non-authorized) repair shop since the nearest authorized dealer is 45 miles away.

New battery didn't help - charging still not recognized - so instead they put on a new charging dock (with my old battery back in.) It cost me $70 and it now works!

After reading similar posts, I believe the ios9 update sent a power spike that either killed or disabled the dock or some related ability for the phone to recognize that a charger was attached. I called Apple to request they reimburse the $70, but the senior tech was adamant that the software update wouldn't affect battery or charging . . . and even so, my trip to the non-authorized shop voided warranty. I explained that many others are having this problem, so even though he says it's not possible, SOMETHING is going on. I asked "wasn't this update supposed to improve battery life" but he wouldn't go down that road.

Finally, I told him I can't drive 45 miles on a gamble, and can't wait for Apple to admit a problem - so having it fixed locally for a reasonable price was my only choice to get a working phone. Again, he just stood firm that this was my fault. I just want my $70 back. Hopefully Apple will reconsider as more people report this same problem.

As a side note . . . I also have an iPad mini which I also updated around the same time. It charges, but now will give an occasional alert that I am using a non authorized charger, which is not true. Prior to my phone dying completely, it also up the warning even though I only own the two AUTHORIZED chargers - one for the ipad and one for the phone. I also work for a school district and have access to numerous authorized chargers purchased with brand new iPads. Nothing worked until I replaced the charging dock.

Sep 29, 2015 7:53 AM in response to Bret_W

I really hope Apple fixes this, otherwise I suspect they've just created a slew of new Android users.

I am experiencing the same issue and I'm very frustrated. It only seems right that Apple should either replace the multiple 5S's that have experienced this issue or at the very least take them in for free repair and firmware modification to avoid this issue again.

I too have tried several different charging sources with several different Apple charging cables. It recognizes the cord in the port but does not accept charge.

Please fix this Apple

Oct 2, 2015 10:09 AM in response to Bret_W

I had one old original charging cable which was somewhat broken but still usable. Once i had a problem with iPhone 5s not charging after update of 9.0.1 i kept my phone for charging with old cable whole night and luckily it got charged by 22% in almost 10hours. Then again next day when battery % went to 2% i connected my iphone for charging with old cable and left again over night and it got charge till 88%. But still my iPhone couldn't be charged with my new iPhone 5s and iPad mini's original cable. Now i have sent my phone to the store for repair from where i purchased and they will keep it for two weeks and i doubt they will return my phone in two weeks.

This is so frustrating. I got iPad 4 and iPhone 6 too, but haven't updated to latest version and will not until Apple releases stable version with all issue fixed. I am so disappointed with this new release........

Oct 4, 2015 4:01 PM in response to Bret_W

Thanks for the post.

Now I see what the problem is.

I'll have to make an appointment with the Apple genius bar.

It might be outside of warranty, but we update because we assume they've done the testing and it is safe, not that it might actually destroy the handset.

And in doing so then meaning that we have to buy the dam phone again.

I can absolutely guarantee you, that if that is their solution to me, my response will be to buy a Samsung.

My 5s has been generally pretty troublesome and this is the last straw really.

Oct 6, 2015 3:57 PM in response to Bret_W

Mine stopped charging after the update as well. Took it to a repair shop and they opened it and said everything looked fine. It will however charge on occasion, when it wants to and does so extremely slow. 20% in 8hrs. My husband updated his phone a day after mine and now his is doing the same thing!! Neither of us have any damage to our phones and we both always use apple chargers. Apple owes everyone money and a fix ASAP!

Oct 21, 2015 2:50 PM in response to Bret_W

Exact same issue.

Very annoying as my iphone5 worked perfectly pre updating to ios9, now doesn't take and charge. Also I I have to wait 5days to even get a genius bar appointment in London! If this is an issue that has come up with a number of people, I don't understand why apple doesn't warn iphone5 users before they install ios9...!

Dec 1, 2015 1:07 PM in response to Bret_W

Hello,i had this same problem, then i'd charge and i'd use it for taking 1 picture and it would shut down

and i'd plug it in ,it showed charging in low red,some times hours or even days to come back on,WELL i figure it out

i warmed my phone up,on hood of hot car,car defroster,room heater for about 30 seconds to 1 minute bam insta on, battery life for

usage is minimal unless it stays plugged in, the phone does not like the cold ,please let me know if this works for you

thank you Bigislandjojo

Iphone 5s won't charge after IOS 9 upgrade.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.