Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

texting problems iOS 9

Since the upgrade my text screen wants to default to landscape and freezes. Also, after voice texting the text box shows a second (0.00) in the box and won't show text - have power off to resolve.

iPhone 5, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 21, 2015 4:42 PM

27 replies

Sep 24, 2015 5:07 AM in response to Chantal613

I am using an iphone 4S and IOS9 and having the same issue with the texting and the '0:00' being displayed. When I restart the phone in an attempt to clear the issue I get stuck in a reboot that never completes. I have to reinstall the OS and select 'Configure as New Iphone'. If I try to restore my data the install gets stuck in the same reboot that new completes. When this happens I see the black background with the white Apple log. The progress bar looks like it moves a little then starts all over again. I've left the phone for hours and it never finishes whatever it's doing.

After reinstalling ios9 and configuring as a new iphone my texting works for three or four texts and then I get the '0:00' in the text area. The area you type in is where this appears. The text box is also grey instead of white. If you type anything it won't be displayed although if you hit send you will see whatever it was you just typed was stored somewhere and is now being sent. However since you can't see the characters as you typed them you have no way to know if there are typos.

I have had to reinstall this OS 7 times so far. Can anyone provide me detailed instructions on how to go back to an earlier OS that works. If not, I'm switching to Android. Seriously...I'm that ******.

Sep 24, 2015 1:58 PM in response to DisappointedWithIOS9

I upgraded to ios9.1 today and within a couple texts the same problem came back. The text area shows '0:00' and anything you type on the first line isn't visible. I found that if I hit 'Return' a new line appears and any text I type is then visible but the first line still shows up with the grey background and the '0:00'. I guess this is kind of a workaround. If someone knows if this is a feature masquerading as a bug please let me know.

Sep 27, 2015 1:17 PM in response to edwardfromsterling

I am having the same issue!! It happened after I upgraded to 9.0.1. At first it only happened when I used voice to text/dictation. I spent half the day on the phone with Apple support yesterday trying to fix it and they had no solutions other than to reset my settings. After I reset the settings, all my photos got messed up AND this grey box is now ALWAYS in my text messages instead of only when I used dictation.

I am in the process of trying to back up my phone so I can completely reset it and for some reason my file keeps getting corrupt. This is turning into a nightmare and Apple Care is so not helpful at this point as they are completely unaware of this. I have found multiple entries on this so it's obviously a problem for many users, not sure why they aren't aware of it or working to fix it

Sep 27, 2015 1:48 PM in response to edwardfromsterling

OK, I think I found the solution!!! It's buried in someone else's post that I cannot locate now but basically you need to find a contact who uses iMessage. When you go in to type a text to this person click on the voice text microphone to the right of the text box. Somehow by using this feature it "turns off" the grey bar. The grey bar disappeared on all of my texts. Don't know if it'll stay that way but it was a relief.

Hope this helps! I know I was super frustrated so was thankful to find this easy solution.

Sep 30, 2015 5:01 AM in response to AZMomto3

AZMomto3, this does work as I have a co-worker having the same problem. He tapped the microphone to the right of the text box while texting me and it removed the empty 0:00 gray message. Thanks. Also, hitting Enter once in the texting box also allows the person to see what is being typed. Sounds like Apple needs to provide another update soon. It is obviously a bug that is growing out there.

Oct 1, 2015 3:22 PM in response to Chantal613

It seems you are attempting to send a text to someone rather than an iMessage. Find a Contact that you can iMessage with, and then you will find the Microphone on the right side of the iMessage box. There, press and hold the microphone. It will start to record. Let go. Delete. Grey box will be gone. You are correct in that it is an intermittent problem.

texting problems iOS 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.