Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch doesn't open native apps on WatchOS2.

I Updated my Apple Watch to WatchOS 2 but it doesn't open native apps at all! What can I do?

Apple Watch, watchOS 2

Posted on Sep 22, 2015 3:53 AM

47 replies

Sep 22, 2015 3:58 AM in response to KiltedTim

I tried 3 of them one was the PCalc Lite, that before it became native worked great but I thought maybe the app was problematic so I went to the "Made For WatchOS2" section and downloaded both Cruncher (another Calculator) and "Nugetz" (a game) and neither of them worked. I tried restarting and hard reset the watch, deleting and reinstalling those apps and none of those worked and I don't know what to do since there's no Apple Store in my area..

Sep 22, 2015 5:11 AM in response to TL1981

So What should I do? I bought this watch over a month ago knowing that in the near future it will have some independence but I live in a place where there's no apple store I bought it aboard so I can't even go to Apple to replace it with a new one or something.

when I'm trying to open a native app it shows this circle and just comes back to the home screen.

Sep 22, 2015 5:22 AM in response to Biransider

Go to the watch app on your iPhone, scroll down to one of those apps and select it. See if it still says 'installing'. I was having poor battery life after the update on my watch and noticed a couple of the apps that had an update after I installed watch 2.0 were still 'installing' several hours later. I unpaired the watch via the watch app on the iPhone, then repaired and the apps installed and now open. Today I'm monitoring the battery life to see how it does.

Erase contents on Apple Watch. On Apple Watch, open the Settings app from the Home screen, go to General > Reset, then tap Erase All Content and Settings. Then unpair Apple Watch from iPhone (if available).

If you try to erase Apple Watch when it’s out of range of iPhone, it will be erased if it comes back into range.

Sep 23, 2015 8:54 PM in response to Biransider

Same issue here. None of native apps can be loaded. Just spin and crash.

I've been follow the threads on macrumors for 2 days. I've tried restoring my iPhone from backup, un-pairing and re-pairing, rebooting both iPhone and watch, uninstalling and re-installing apps but nothing helps.

I think there must something to do with my iPhone data. I tried to pair my watch with a new phone and everything works fine.

It seems that the only solution is to completely wipe the phone and set up as a new one. But I really don't want to lost my data and hope there will be a fix for both iOS and watchOS very soon.

Sep 24, 2015 1:51 AM in response to Biransider

Finally, finally, I made it to work.

1. Backup your iPhone using iTunes. (I don't know if an encrypted backup is necessary, because my friend didn't do that but I did.)

2. 'Erase All Content and Settings' from Settings app in your iPhone (Do NOT erase using iTunes! I've tried it and it doesn't work!)

3. 'Erase All Content and Settings' on your Apple Watch Settings app.

4. Restore your iPhone from backup using iTunes

5. Pair your iPhone with your Apple Watch.

Everything should work as you expect.

Good Luck.

Apple Watch doesn't open native apps on WatchOS2.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.