Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6+ - IOS9 upgrade -SMS/Text Messages delayed hours

Ever since i upgrade to IOS9 i have been experiencing long delays in receiving SMS/Text group messages.

Example, i received all of the sms group messages from 2 conversations the following morning from the previous evening.

Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?

I have reset my phone, reset network settings, restore from backup, restored to factory, reseat SIM card, contacted ATT carrier, troubleshooted network and confirmed cell tower is not overloaded with messages.

Next?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 22, 2015 12:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2015 11:44 AM

I am having the exact same issue. On top of thale delayed messages I am getting texts from an "Unknown" number that says "Service Denied". I am at my wits end. I once rebooted my phone because it froze and after it restarted received 74 texts from my group message. The messages ranged from a few hours old to over 5 days. Everything worked fine in iOS 8.

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2015 11:44 AM in response to ricky2567

I am having the exact same issue. On top of thale delayed messages I am getting texts from an "Unknown" number that says "Service Denied". I am at my wits end. I once rebooted my phone because it froze and after it restarted received 74 texts from my group message. The messages ranged from a few hours old to over 5 days. Everything worked fine in iOS 8.

Oct 14, 2015 6:51 AM in response to ricky2567

UPDATE--

Just an FYI the "Solved" post is not correct, that was a mistake and i cannot undo . Back to the phone...

Here is what i have done so far:

After troubleshooting with ATT the next step was to go to the Apple store and have them take a look at the phone. The tech at the store insisted that there was nothing wrong with the phone "physically" but if i wanted to replace the phone to rule out the possibility of the hardware having any issues i could. So i did... he brought me a new phone i did a restore from backup done 20 minutes prior and began testing the phone. It was difficult to replicate the issue, and of course the issue did not occur @ the store, but we intended. Good thing i had some screen shots from my buddy showing the texts messages i was missing out on so i did not seem completely insane.

No luck in replicating the issue, the tech said it must be an issue with the OS and restoring from a backup will only bring over the issues, makes sense i guess.

So the next step in troubleshooting was to restore the phone back to factory settings on a fresh iOS9 install. This means i would lose all information on the phone that i could not manually extract.

I restored to a fresh version of iOS9 and began to re-sync as much as i could back to the phone and began to test the texting, specifically in group texts is where the issues was occurring. Since the issue is intermittent i had to give it a few days to get some results.

Few days have passed....the issue is STILL THERE! 😠

I am missing out on tons of messages from MMS/SMS group chats, i don't know what else to do at this point, the only other thing i could think of is going to ATT and getting a new SIM card and swapping it out. This is so frustrating...

If anyone has any solutions to this problem please share, this ***** 😟

Oct 19, 2015 12:07 AM in response to ricky2567

I'm experiencing similar issues but I didn't see your post until now probably because it was marked resolved. After all else have been exhausted, I did a factory restore and got a new sim. The issue persisted. Now, I'm noticing individual texts might be affected as well. I am unable to receive pictures from individual text in addition to the group texts being intermittent to none. Also, I've received on 3-5 occasions over a 3-4 weeks span a text from "unknown" stating "service denied" which might coincide with the missing group text. I'm just short from going to an engineer technician as I've been troubleshooting from home with the help of AT&T and Apple.

iPhone 6+ - IOS9 upgrade -SMS/Text Messages delayed hours

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.