Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Grey box overlapping my texting keyboard with 0:00

grey box with 0:00 ovetlapping where my texting should be, cant see what im typing happened after ioS9 update

iPhone 6, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 22, 2015 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2015 1:57 PM

Hi Bugsington,

I see that you are experiencing an issue where your text entry field in the Messages app is being obscured by a gray bar. I would like to suggest that you first update to iOS 9.0.1, which was released today, and see if the issue is resolved by this update. If the issue is still present, you should go to your Messages settings and toggle the “Show Subject Field” setting. Simply turning this on, returning to your Messages app, then returning to the Settings to turn off the field again should resolve the issue:

Messages settings - iPhone

http://help.apple.com/iphone/9/#/iphf2d853e3

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Have a good one!

63 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2015 1:57 PM in response to Bugsington

Hi Bugsington,

I see that you are experiencing an issue where your text entry field in the Messages app is being obscured by a gray bar. I would like to suggest that you first update to iOS 9.0.1, which was released today, and see if the issue is resolved by this update. If the issue is still present, you should go to your Messages settings and toggle the “Show Subject Field” setting. Simply turning this on, returning to your Messages app, then returning to the Settings to turn off the field again should resolve the issue:

Messages settings - iPhone

http://help.apple.com/iphone/9/#/iphf2d853e3

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Have a good one!

Sep 28, 2015 11:20 AM in response to Bugsington

OK. Same thing happened to me. I been holding off on this download cause I'm really not fan of Apple. I'm more of a Microsoft person. The iPhones are pretty cool though. Windows are falling behind (Nokia, Smh). I know Apple has their flaws in software also. after I updated to the 9.0.1 or whatever it is. I tried everything. Restarting the phone. Restarting the app. Your "subject field" method. The microphone method which do not work for sms text messages, only iMessage. So I investigated the process of what was happening. I reset all apps. I noticed that it happened when I put the phone close to my body. I thought I was covering a sensor or something because the screen would black out like a sleep mode or something. Considering that the grey bar was for audio recording and I didn't actually hit any keys or buttons, I thought about the voice text feature. After combing my options. I finally found a good fix. Although it's not a technical solution. It's your "Raise to Listen" feature in the text messages settings at the bottom. Youll have to switch it off. I noticed that when I put the phone to my ear while texting, it would go dark as if I'm on the phone listening to voice data. But it's just a regular text. I believe the issue in that area. Sorry for those who actually use the feature. But it's only marketing. I have a iPhone 5. It's just their of telling us hat we need to upgrade. "Buy the IPhone 6 Plus". So just turn off the raise to listen feature and you can text normally again. Body heat is what activates the feature and causes the grey bar to pop up. Works for me.

Sep 28, 2015 5:15 PM in response to raymond73

Hi raymond73,

I appreciate you trying to assist me, however I have followed your suggestions and there is no "Raise to Listen", nor do I see "Audio Message", even by scrolling all the way to the bottom going through Settings -> Messages function. If your device is a 6S, the on-screen options are evidently different....but again, thanks for help!

If anyone else who has an iOS4, and you know of the solidified fix (aside from powering off and on several times a day), please feel free to share it.

Many thanks to all!

Sep 29, 2015 10:34 AM in response to Cassidy's iPhone

Same issue here. I've been an Android guy for several years, just made the move to the iPhone 6s on Sunday and finally got around to activating my new iPhone last night. Today is Day 1 - I'm experiencing the same thing. If this is my "Welcome to the iPhone World" greeting, I'm unimpressed. I'm running 9.0.1 as well. Enabling "Show Subject Line", going into Messaging, then disabling it does fix it....for a few minutes. I also have NO "Raise to Listen" option in my Messaging settings. What gives?

Sep 29, 2015 2:22 PM in response to dmetheny1

I'm full of issues.....I saw a couple responses; one from lisa24000, and one from mickey1023 on my iPhone stating that they received a solution from someone, but for some reason (even after I refresh), their messages aren't showing here on the site from my laptop....

So, what is the fix? If someone could break out their Crayons for me and let me know please!

Thanks again!

Grey box overlapping my texting keyboard with 0:00

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.