Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable Game Center, IOS 9

I am not a heavy game player, but I do like an occasional game of Solitaire on my iPad. WIth the upgrade to IOS 9, everytime I open the app, I get nagged to sign in to Game Center. How can I stop this decided annoyance?

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 22, 2015 2:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2015 2:23 PM

You can't disable it as such. You can log out of Game Center but when a Game Center enabled game is run, it will hound you to sign in...hit cancel about 4 or 5 times to get it to stop bugging you. Also note that after cancelling 4-5 times, it will stop hounding you to sign in BUT, it may hound you again the following day (my experience after iOS 9 was released)

Example:

1. Run game

2. Sign in Game Center prompt (hit cancel)

3. Tap Home button

4. Tap game icon to open game again

5. Sign in Game Center prompt (hit cancel)

(repeat beginning at 3.)

Repeat about 4-5 times until the Game Center sign-in prompt does not appear.

This seems to be a current bug on Apple's end as this affects devices on iOS 7 as well. However, this seemed to start with the release of iOS 9.

Also look for a setting within the game to disable Game Center. This may help.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2015 2:23 PM in response to Rebmus

You can't disable it as such. You can log out of Game Center but when a Game Center enabled game is run, it will hound you to sign in...hit cancel about 4 or 5 times to get it to stop bugging you. Also note that after cancelling 4-5 times, it will stop hounding you to sign in BUT, it may hound you again the following day (my experience after iOS 9 was released)

Example:

1. Run game

2. Sign in Game Center prompt (hit cancel)

3. Tap Home button

4. Tap game icon to open game again

5. Sign in Game Center prompt (hit cancel)

(repeat beginning at 3.)

Repeat about 4-5 times until the Game Center sign-in prompt does not appear.

This seems to be a current bug on Apple's end as this affects devices on iOS 7 as well. However, this seemed to start with the release of iOS 9.

Also look for a setting within the game to disable Game Center. This may help.

Sep 26, 2015 8:02 PM in response to Idespairofusernames

Hope the following continues to work, instead of hitting cancel - I logged into Game Center with a none existent account I might have told Apple where to go! Childish, Yes... But deeply satisfying. You then get a screen saying unrecognised account, keep on putting in wrong details and eventually your Game Center account will be locked.

The above steps did have to be repeated a few times, however, it does seem to have worked... There is a slight lag in the game at a similar time to when Game Center was loading, but there is no further interruption!

Which was highly annoying, especially if you are playing a game against the clock... Fingers crossed Apple see sense and allow users to either Disable, delete or opt out of Game Center completely

Sep 27, 2015 6:04 AM in response to Rebmus

Well I seem to have just gotten the game center welcome back/sign in nag screen to turn off, which had been coming up every single time I minimized or restarted a game even though I was not signed in to it, and had it disabled in notifications.

I triple checked that I was signed out of game center, and I was. I pressed the "forgot apple ID" found in "settings-> game center" twice. Maybe three times. I did it a lot.

I fired up Uprising and bam, no more game center welcome screens.

Oct 1, 2015 9:10 PM in response to Rebmus

Gamecenter's Guerilla tactics will drive iOS users away from the platform... Necessary casualties for Apples invasive Marketing Department!

Whilst, my first suggestion had worked for a few days, the Apple insurgents forced me to find an alternate way. I figured there must be a way of deleting my account (or as suggested my Apple's T's and C's of being banned). So I launched Game Centre from Settings, and after 5 minutes of the Apple spinning whelel of incompetence let me in, signed back in. No setting to switch off there.

However, Apple required me to agree to their Terms and Conditions... and included a Disagree button, I declined Apples T's and C's for Game Centre.

On the next Game play, the Game Centre pop up, popped up... The game clock does not pause so effectively spoiling yet another game (Thanks Apple!) - this time I did sign in as me... I figured having disagreed to Apples Terms I should not be allowed in. Allow enough time for the Apple spinning wheel of incompetence (maybe Windows is not such a bad platform after all) to finish and I was reverted back to the log-in screen again. Click Cancel to get back to that spoilt game as you can't complete the level In time.

Upon the next game play (closing the game and re-open) no pop up! This is only day 2, so truly hope I've not spoken too early... But I am keeping fingers crossed, as clearly common sense eludes Apple HQ to allow iOS users a Disable button.

Oct 20, 2015 3:52 AM in response to stevejobsfan0123

Thank you for providing the link - I just left my feedback. Maybe if enough of us do so, the issue will be addressed.

It took me less than 2 minutes to express my frustration, so was well worth the time. For anyone else who is interested, go to http://apple.com/feedback/ipad.html. FYI - You should check your IOS version (e.g., 9.0.2) before doing so.

Disable Game Center, IOS 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.