Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6+ | iOS 9.0.1 | icloud music library just won't load - can't sync music from itunes | MUSIC IS COMPLETELY BROKEN

I don't know where to turn. I've tried restoring as a new iPhone and reloading both a manual iTunes backup and an iCloud backup twice EACH.

I've tried every imaginable permutation of turning ON/OFF Apple Music, iCloud Music, manually syncing songs from iTunes, syncing entire library from iTunes, etc.

If I turn on iCloud Music on my iPhone, then open the Music app, switch to the My Music tab, I see the little "Loading Library..." splash screen and status bar. The status bar gets 1 'tick' towards progress, then the splash screen disappears and I'm left with a completely empty music library on my phone.

My iCloud library, including recent additions, appears flawlessly on my PC running the latest iTunes.

HELP!!

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 24, 2015 11:27 AM

32 replies

Jun 18, 2017 6:32 AM in response to mariofromportland

This may be helpful...

I also toggled on/off all the relevant choices.

No need to restore or set up as a new phone.

I'm not sure how this works or syncs up, but somehow, because I was simultaneously using my iPad and iPhone through AirDrop, I think that might have affected the scenario. What are you did was simply turn on my iPad, which was able to see all of my Apple Music library, and then, somehow my phone was then able to see the entire library too. Only until I did this, my iPhone's vast Apple Music library was that showing, no matter what I did.

Whatever the technical reason behind this, it's really frustrating that Apple doesn't have a direct answer about other iDevices somehow messing up iCloud registration.

Sep 25, 2015 8:12 AM in response to mariofromportland

As a quick update -

I took my old iPhone 4s, upgraded it to iOS 9.0.1, and set up iCloud Music on that phone. Opened the Music app and clicked on the "My Music" tab.

I got the same Loading Library... progress bar but this time it all loaded successfully. So, I suppose I can rule out some sort of corruption of the library itself and blame this completely on the iPhone 6+.

Literally any thoughts are appreciated!!

Sep 25, 2015 4:12 PM in response to asdfasdawefaewfeargf

I have the same basic issue, in that somehow the library is complete on all my computers but only a fraction (~30%) is coming over on the iPhone 6; I have all the latest software and am working w a new laptop as well - MACproRetina. I thought it was a library problem, but it seems to be a syncing problem - the actual sync music button (presumably below the Summary section in iTunes) also doesn't show up. I've been on the phone w Apple Help (including senior advisors) for multiple hours now, and no one can seem to understand or resolve it. I also will add the I have iTunes Match, and that it started ~ the time I went w iTunes Match. Quite unclear where to go w this?

Sep 26, 2015 8:14 AM in response to mariofromportland

OK - I was able to get mine working. A few things I would like to note first:

• I originally had an iPhone 6 that I had upgraded to an iPhone 6s Plus
  • I was a member of the public beta and had iOS 9.1 which I downgraded to 9.0.1 and then backed up to iCloud so that I would be able to setup my new iPhone with a backup from iCloud.
  • It was after the backup where apple music would work - but neither the apple music library itself or the iCloud music library would load. Occasionally I would get the playlist screen.

So today, I had an epiphany: could my backup somehow be incompatible and/or could the music app's database that exists on the phone (due to the backup) be corrupted or otherwise incompatible because of the beta-downgrade-backup-shuffle? So here's what I did:

1. Took a deep breath, knowing I was about to loose my app backups and associated data.
  2. Settings -> General -> Reset -> Erase All Content and Settings
  3. Follow the process to setup your new phone, again - but set it up as a NEW phone.
  4. Open the music app. Choose already an apple music member (if you are), and sign in.
  5. Head over to settings -> Music -> turn on iCloud music library. I chose to replace instead of merge.
  6. Back in Music, I tapped my music, and it said loading... and ACTUALLY loaded this time.
  7. Yay!

Sep 27, 2015 1:47 AM in response to mariofromportland

I have the same issue. New iPhone 6s 64GB, tried on both iOS 9 and 9.0.1 and my iCloud/Apple Music/iTunes Match library wouldn't load. Gets to about 30% and reverts back to the "Don't Miss a Beat" splash screen. Playlists load but with no content in them.

I was also an iOS 9.0.1 beta tester and downgraded to iOS 9 on my old iPhone 6 before buying the new iPhone 6s.

Has anyone found a workaround for this without having to do a full Reset and Restore as a new phone?

Sep 27, 2015 10:03 AM in response to padrien

I'm having the same issue, and I was not a beta tester and upgraded from a 6 to 6s, my 6 still shows my full library and i did the usual restore/transfer i've done for every upgrade but this time it failed to move ANY of my music and now it only shows up as streaming apple music options (not the music actually on my phone like before since 98% of my library is not apple music "offline listening" OR iTunes purchases). I have an appointment at the genius bar today.

this seems to completely be an upgrading to 6s issue as it is appearing across the support boards and my phone calls with apple support were useless as i've done a factory restore a million times with them.

Sep 27, 2015 8:58 PM in response to anth05

Interesting- my problem is happening w the iPhone 6, not the S version. Restore also didn't work, nor did their articles/ instructions on using iTunes Match (which I have) or resolving sync issues. Library is fine on all computers but ~ 1/3 shows up on phone. I'm awaiting my GB appt as well. Significant waste of my time w phone/on line help, as even senior advisers can't solve it.

Sent from my iPhone

Sep 27, 2015 9:27 PM in response to markt52

After almost 5 hours at the Genius Bar today we seem to have solved the issue by turning OFF Apple Music AND iCloud music library as those two services seem to have caused the issues completely. However, we had to turn it off on my old phone, back up the old phone again, and the restore the new phone from that new back up, and on the new phone making sure both of those functions are off while transferring. It's a stupid, time consuming glitch with apple Music and iCloud music library that they NEED to resolve quickly with an update because it's insane.

Sep 29, 2015 12:00 AM in response to mariofromportland

I also was on iOS 9 beta and rolled back to 9. Does not matter what I do, after restoring my phone from a backup, the iCloud Music Library only loads the names of the playlists but no content within them. "Loading Library" and Loading Playlists..." appears, but content in each is empty. I cannot save music to the library on the iPhone either.

All of my other devices are fine. Macbook Air and iPad are working as they always have and no issues with their libraries.

Oct 2, 2015 6:39 AM in response to mariofromportland

Same problem here. I went from a 4s running the 9.1 beta to a 6S running 9.0.2. I am seeing a trend here and was wondering if it is related to the downgrade from the beta to 9.0.2. So I tried my iPad, also running the 9.1 beta, and it has the same problem. So the issue is not related to the downgrade. I'm going to try the backup and restore solution and will post my results.

Oct 2, 2015 8:37 AM in response to mariofromportland

Posting back results: backup and restoring works.

Back up the old phone using iTunes backup, do a full restore of your current phone and select restore from backup. The only issue is that if you are backing up from the 9.1 beta, it won't allow you to do that on a phone with 9.0.2. You have to select a backup from a compatible version of iOS. (Backups are not backwards compatible).

Other than that, it works. Library updated and has all of the music from my old 4s and Apple Music library.

Oct 2, 2015 10:12 AM in response to mariofromportland

Same issue as OP.

iPhone 6+, ios 9.0.2

Windows7, Itunes 12.3

I currently have 4,782 songs on my phone. I select my collection with smart playlists, so when I sync, certain songs are removed and others added.

When I tried to sync yesterday, all my album artwork was removed and no new music was added.

I tried to sync again this morning, and the bar that indicates what type of media is on the phone was solid yellow, and nothing new syncs.

I can still play many of the songs that are on the phone, but many of them are greyed out (the "to be synced" tracks)

I do not have apple music enabled.

This appears to have started after updating phone to 9.0.2

Oct 5, 2015 5:38 PM in response to asdfasdawefaewfeargf

I was also a public beta user and the bottom line seems to be that you need to follow these steps and setup the device as a new phone in order to resolve the issue with Apple Music. It is a pain but the resolution will be found by:

As user asdfasdawefaewfeargf states:

1. Took a deep breath, knowing I was about to loose my app backups and associated data.
  2. Settings -> General -> Reset -> Erase All Content and Settings
  3. Follow the process to setup your new phone, again - but set it up as a NEW phone.
  4. Open the music app. Choose already an apple music member (if you are), and sign in.
  5. Head over to settings -> Music -> turn on iCloud music library. Merge or replace will work just fine, I selected Merge.
  6. Back in Music, I tapped my music, and it said loading... and ACTUALLY loaded this time.

P.S. The key to this process is to setup the iPhone as a NEW device.

I had tried restoring from backups and the issue will be brought back onto the iPhone if attempted. Another note is that this was actually occurring on my iPhone 6 before switching to my new iPhone 6s so it not specific to the iPhone 6s.

iPhone 6+ | iOS 9.0.1 | icloud music library just won't load - can't sync music from itunes | MUSIC IS COMPLETELY BROKEN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.