Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error: iCloud Photo Library will begin syncing when this device has finished restoring from backup.

I used iCloud Photo Library in the past, back when it was in beta, but stopped because I didn't have enough storage space on my iCloud account at the time. Since the new storage plans are out, I decided to retry it.

Now, when I attempt to turn it on on my iPhone, I receive the following error:

"iCloud Photo Library will begin syncing when this device has finished restoring from backup."

I haven't restored my iPhone since probably late July and the restore is definitely finished. My iPhone has been making new backups since, and nothing is left to be downloaded.

I've tried numerous things, (turning it off and on again, signing out of iCloud and back in) including a solution which worked previously under iOS 8.

iCloud Photo Library doesn't sync - iCloud restore in progress

Any ideas on how to get around this error on iOS 9?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 24, 2015 1:53 PM

4 replies

Oct 10, 2015 7:01 AM in response to alecks3

I'm having the same issue an iPhone 6S plus running 9.0.2. I never turned iCloud photos on when it was in beta specifically to avoid this type of issue. I'm disappointed and hoping for a fix soon. I also tried the solution provided that worked in iOS 8 where a small number of photos were synced through iTunes and turned iCloud photos back on... It didn't work in iOS 9.

My iCloud Photos hasn't uploaded anything from my new 6S plus. I've turned it off and on and power cycled countless times and keep getting the same message that a it will begin syncing after the device had finished restoring from backup- but there is no backup currently restoring. I've even deleted the backup and started a new one which you can't do when it's actually restoring. Frustrated.

Oct 15, 2015 12:16 PM in response to SpY2K

I also have a brand new iPhone 6S Plus on 9.0.2, and have the same problem. I never enabled iCloud Photo Library before. Also tried the solution to sync small number of photos via iTunes and turned iCloud photos back on... no luck.

Has any one noticed that there is another option for backing up Photo Library: Settings --> iCloud --> Storage --> Manage Storage --> select this phone - in the Backup Options, I see Photo Library, and it is enabled. Could this be some sort of a "duplicate" setting that is interfering/causing the problem?

Oct 27, 2015 3:40 AM in response to alecks3

Having the same issue with iPhone 6 on 9.0.2.

Got the iPhone a month back from work and never been able to sync photos taken from the phone to my iCloud library...

Tried the option as mentioned by the link.. i.e. syncing photos from iTunes and then turning iCloud Photos on... no luck..

I did notice that once i turned my iCloud Photos OFF in the iPhone settings an then i went to delete the iPhone' backup from icloud, it wouldn't let me.

I guess when I first got the phone, I restored it from my iCloud backup.. and it still thinks that its been restored...

Oct 27, 2015 4:06 AM in response to holyzod

I solved the problem. Clue - check in iTunes how many photos are there in your phone, most likely the number will not match with what is on the phone.

1. Turned off iCloud by signing off

2. Transferred all my photos to my HDD

3. Took a complete backup of my phone to my PC using iTunes

4. Restored the phone from this backup using iTunes

5. Turned on iCloud and photo library

Then it all worked. I setup iCloud for windows and put all my photos in the upload directory - the photos uploaded to iCloud photo library, and then got downloaded into my iPhone. Problem solved.

Error: iCloud Photo Library will begin syncing when this device has finished restoring from backup.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.