Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exchange calendar not syncing after iOS 9 update

I am using google Apps for business (no two steps authentication) and Exchange calendar stops syncing after iOS 9 update (now running on iOS 9.0.1) . It is happening both on iPad and iPhone and started after the update.

I have already tried resetting both devices (and set up as new device without restoring from iCloud backups), it works for a few hours and then it stops again. The temporary solutions of either disabling the calendar sync and re-enable it or deleting the Exchange account and setting it up again, works for only a few hours.

Does anyone else experiencing the same problem?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 24, 2015 1:43 PM

68 replies

Sep 25, 2015 12:23 PM in response to turbocharged

I have the same problem with my iPhone 6. In settings > mail,contacts,calendars, locate your Exchange account.

Once in the Exchange, toggle the switch for calendar only to off. Reboot the phone. Once I did this, the calendar repopulated and is working to accept entries in both directions (phone to google and google to phone).

CAUTION: Any entries you made in your iPhone since the upgrade, that did not transfer to gmail, will be wiped out.

Sep 30, 2015 7:32 AM in response to Kevin Nedd

Nope after several hours it stopped again. Turning calendar off and on seems to give you a slight reprieve but then it comes back.

Seeing it on IOS 9, 9.01 and 9.1 beta 2 on a variety of iphones hitting activesync with Google Apps.

Best way to recreate is to create a calendar item on your gmail calendar and it should almost immediately appear on your iphone calendar. But once affected it will not. If you use the Google Calendar app it does immediately appear.

Sep 30, 2015 7:00 PM in response to turbocharged

I'm experiencing this on a wide variety of devices. We're using AirWatch to manage over 600 iOS Devices in the field, Google Apps to handle the Cal.

Here is what I tried so far tried, So don't waste your time trying these:

-turn Calendar Sync OFF / On

-updating to 9.0.1

-updating to 9.0.2

-complete wipe and restore (iCloud)

-complete wipe and restore (iTunes)

-tested on the native Google Calendar App (Faster, but same results over a few hours)

Its clear that this is related to ActiveSync. I read that one of the features of iOS 9 in the Enterprise was "Improved calendar reliability for customers using Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync v16"

Could that be a lead on something to look into? I'm not an expert in Exchange but maybe someone could please provide some insights?

Oct 1, 2015 8:12 AM in response to Andypantz77

According to this it's Apple.

Exchange ActiveSync Protocol Licensees provide the Exchange ActiveSync software that is used on the third-party devices. Microsoft does not write the Exchange ActiveSync code for the licensees’ devices or services. Microsoft licenses patents to Exchange ActiveSync licensees. These patents are Microsoft intellectual property. Additionally, Microsoft provides public access to the Exchange ActiveSync protocol documentation.

GoogleSync (Activesync) continues to work with 8.4 and Android

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2563324

Oct 1, 2015 9:43 AM in response to kentfromlouisville

Hi Kent,

we have a High-Level Escalation Team here that specifically talks to Google Business Support and are intouch with Google Directly. I didn't get much details but they pretty much confirmed the core problem being in Google's Court for now. The only work around they offered was to use the Google Calendar App or the Google Gmail App until this gets sorted. And was told, "Google Made iOS-Apps are not hampered with any syncing issues that affect the native Apple iOS App.

I'm going to wait for more updates.. I've already triend those Apps with users and its opening up a whole other can of worms.

Btw today we're not only seeing Calendars out of sync, but Mail and Contacts as well.

Exchange calendar not syncing after iOS 9 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.