Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes crashes hard on accessing iphonep

i had to upgrade to iTunes 12.1.3 in order to access my iPhone 5 after I updated the phone to ios 9. Now my itunes sees the phone, and you can even look at the music on it in iTunes, however iTunes crashes when you click the iphone icon at the top in order to start a sync. Phone seems fine I made sure windows vista 32 bit has all the latest updates. Completely uninstalled all apple products and reinstalled 12.1.3, which seems to be the latest iTunes for a 32 bit Windows. iTunes works correctly in other respects, but crashes and won't come back after clicking the iPhone icon, no error messages.

iPhone 5, iOS 9.0.1, iTunes crashes

Posted on Sep 26, 2015 5:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2015 6:51 PM

I'm experiencing the same problem.

itunes 12.1.3

Vista 32 bit

iPhone 6

iOS 9.1

i expericed it with iOS 9.0 and 9.0.1 as well.

Steps taken:

1. Thoroughly uninstalled iTunes, (which included all Apple software, and all hidden Apple folders found in AppData) and reinstalled as an administer. Rebooted computer. Didn't fix it. Tried this 2 more times.

2. Connected my phone to a friend's identical Vista 32 bit computer. The problem still existed.

3. Erased all content and settings on my phone and restored from iCloud backup. The problem went away (temporarily). I was able to click on the iPhone icon in iTunes, view the content of my phone, and even sync it one or two times. Never during, but at the end of the first or second time syncing, iTunes would freeze. After force-quitting iTunes and relaunching, I am back to the drawing board...unable to click on the iPhone icon without freezing iTunes.

4. Erased all content and settings on my phone and restored as a new phone. Again, The problem went away (temporarily). I was able to click on the iPhone icon in iTunes, view the content of my phone, and even sync it one or two times. Never during, but at the end of the first or second time syncing, iTunes would freeze. After force-quitting iTunes and relaunching, I am back to the drawing board...unable to click on the iPhone icon without freezing iTunes.

5. Held down the home button on my iPhone before connecting it to my computer, and continued to hold it until the "restore procedure" popped up in iTunes. Restored as new. Again, The problem went away (temporarily). I was able to click on the iPhone icon in iTunes, view the content of my phone, and even sync it one or two times. Never during, but at the end of the first or second time syncing, iTunes would freeze. After force-quitting iTunes and relaunching, I am back to the drawing board...unable to click on the iPhone icon without freezing iTunes.

6. Genius Bar appointment ended with them giving me a new iPhone 6. Again, The problem went away (temporarily). I was able to click on the iPhone icon in iTunes, view the content of my phone, and even sync it one or two times. Never during, but at the end of the first or second time syncing, iTunes would freeze. After force-quitting iTunes and relaunching, I am back to the drawing board...unable to click on the iPhone icon without freezing iTunes. 

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2015 6:51 PM in response to Lompicopete

I'm experiencing the same problem.

itunes 12.1.3

Vista 32 bit

iPhone 6

iOS 9.1

i expericed it with iOS 9.0 and 9.0.1 as well.

Steps taken:

1. Thoroughly uninstalled iTunes, (which included all Apple software, and all hidden Apple folders found in AppData) and reinstalled as an administer. Rebooted computer. Didn't fix it. Tried this 2 more times.

2. Connected my phone to a friend's identical Vista 32 bit computer. The problem still existed.

3. Erased all content and settings on my phone and restored from iCloud backup. The problem went away (temporarily). I was able to click on the iPhone icon in iTunes, view the content of my phone, and even sync it one or two times. Never during, but at the end of the first or second time syncing, iTunes would freeze. After force-quitting iTunes and relaunching, I am back to the drawing board...unable to click on the iPhone icon without freezing iTunes.

4. Erased all content and settings on my phone and restored as a new phone. Again, The problem went away (temporarily). I was able to click on the iPhone icon in iTunes, view the content of my phone, and even sync it one or two times. Never during, but at the end of the first or second time syncing, iTunes would freeze. After force-quitting iTunes and relaunching, I am back to the drawing board...unable to click on the iPhone icon without freezing iTunes.

5. Held down the home button on my iPhone before connecting it to my computer, and continued to hold it until the "restore procedure" popped up in iTunes. Restored as new. Again, The problem went away (temporarily). I was able to click on the iPhone icon in iTunes, view the content of my phone, and even sync it one or two times. Never during, but at the end of the first or second time syncing, iTunes would freeze. After force-quitting iTunes and relaunching, I am back to the drawing board...unable to click on the iPhone icon without freezing iTunes.

6. Genius Bar appointment ended with them giving me a new iPhone 6. Again, The problem went away (temporarily). I was able to click on the iPhone icon in iTunes, view the content of my phone, and even sync it one or two times. Never during, but at the end of the first or second time syncing, iTunes would freeze. After force-quitting iTunes and relaunching, I am back to the drawing board...unable to click on the iPhone icon without freezing iTunes. 

Nov 4, 2015 9:33 PM in response to thescherz

It figures. You probably have some AppHangB1 problem reports like the iPad user running Vista in Does iTunes Version 12.1.3.6 work with iOS9.1?

Probably only Apple could solve the problem, and they probably won't. Vista is no longer supported, and Windows 10 support is pathetic. Maybe you should buy a Macintosh? Then again, there are other smartphones that don't depend on Apple's bloatware.

(I'm a Vista user who doesn't like Apple.)

iTunes crashes hard on accessing iphonep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.