Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 6s call forwarding not working

As per the title. Attempted setup from backup and as a whole new device. Reset, hard reset and full factory reset did nothing. Multiple SIM cards were essayed to no effect. Multiple PHONES were tried, with the exact same problem. Went through all level tech support both with the carrier (Bell Canada) and Apple. The latter took the relevant diagnostic data and submitted it to engineering.

I offer this information for anyone else suffering the same issue.

Posted on Sep 26, 2015 7:01 PM

21 replies

Jun 9, 2017 3:46 PM in response to Steve Angel

Here's the solution I found that works for me:

We have one iPhone 6 on T-mobile where the call forwarding feature in the IOS software works just like you'd expect.

We have another iPhone 6 on AT&T where the call forwarding in IOS does not function (it does exactly what was described by many people here).

I learned that AT&T disables the IOS call forwarding; to forward calls you must use AT&T's network-based call forwarding by pulling up the phone dial keypad and entering **21* and the ten digit number you are forwarding to and # then hit the green "call" (or send) button.

To disable forwarding, dial #21# then call or send.

This works for me, with AT&T wireless in Florida, USA, on an iPhone. Your carrier may have slightly different codes, or may work differently.

In the end, I learned it had nothing to do with the Apple iPhone and everything to do with the wireless carrier code that the mobile carrier uploads to your phone. I hope this helps some people. Good Luck.

Sep 27, 2015 3:41 PM in response to Steve Angel

Ah, fair enough. If you're gonna split hairs, you got a point... 😉

So, normally one goes Settings-->Phone--> Call Forwarding. There's a switch there. Toggle it. NORMALLY that will automatically take you to the next screen to enter a number. The number entry field may display "loading" for a moment, which will then clear spontaneously and you may then enter the number. You then tap the return arrow at top left. You return to the previous Call Forwarding screen, where the switch will be toggled On (showing green) and the number to which you are forwarded displayed underneath. At the very top left, you'll see the call forwarding icon.

On the 6s, tapping the switch does not propel you to the number entry screen. You need to tap the screen again to get there. Once there, the "loading" message populates the number entry field and does not spontaneously clear. Fine. Delete the letters, enter your number. Tap the return arrow at top left to go back to the Call Forwarding menu...and nothing further happens. Your call does not forward. Try it as many times as you like.

Is that more helpful?

Oct 9, 2015 8:59 PM in response to What a Rush

I'm on 9.0.2 and iPhone 6 with AT&T. Same problem, Call Forwarding just produces "Loading ...".

If I enter a number, then try to turn it off, I get:

"Some call forwarding settings could not be changed".

FWIW, when I try to enable WiFi Calling I get: "Oops! We can't turn on Wi-Fi calling for your account". Recommends I phone 800-331-0500. So maybe same problem that blocks call forwarding is showing up in WiFi.

And I can't enable "Call Waiting"...

I suspect it's a combination of something in 9.x and AT&T. I've heard switching SIM cards is worth a try but I won't be able to do that until I return from a trip.

Oct 10, 2015 7:01 AM in response to jfaughnan

I found that i CAN enable call forwarding for my daughter's iPhone 5, which is one of the numbers on my AT&T account.

On my iPhone 6 I can't enable Wi-Fi Calling, Call Forwarding or Call Waiting. I phoned AT&T (800-331-0500, say "representative") and the helpful rep said my account wasn't enabled for Wi-Fi calling. They made changes to the account. After restart it did seem like I was going to get WiFi calling, but then I got "Ooops! That wasn't supposed to happen ...". So it's still not quite working.

Call Forwarding bug was unaffected by the WiFi change.

AT&T gave me an Apple support number to call: 800-694-7466 but I'll wait and see if this gets fixed in the next week or two. I've a hunch that AT&T enabling Wi-Fi calling exposed a bug somewhere.

The AT&T rep sent me a new SIM card. If that works I suspect it's because it's the SIM cards that contains data relating my phone's network ID to the phone number ... and using a new SIM forces a refresh of AT&T configuration data.

Oct 18, 2015 11:24 AM in response to jfaughnan

I received and installed a new SIM card from AT&T, they mailed it to me.

You have to use att.com/Activations site as though you'd just bought a new phone and were activating it with a new SIM (I didn't realize this could be done at home btw, I'm used to having the store do this.)

With the new SIM call forwarding, WiFi Calling and Call Waiting now work. They were all unavailable earlier.

Maybe the SIM card was defective, but I suspect there was a bug/problem in the original activation of my phone. Maybe I just stuck in a SIM card from my prior phone, maybe the store made a mistake, maybe something has changed. Using a new SIM forces an update AT&T's records including the relationship between IMEI and ICCID/SIM numbers and the phone number.

I'll write this one up as a blog post too.

Nov 12, 2015 11:34 AM in response to jfaughnan

I've had the same problem with a 6s on AT&T. The recreate steps noted about are exact. I have upgraded to 9.1 and have replaced my AT&T SIM card and activated as noted. However, I still cannot turn on call forwarding. I have ping ponged between AT&T and Apple level 2 support with no solution.

Does anyone have other suggestions to try?

Thanks.

Mickey

iphone 6s call forwarding not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.