Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro X H265 Support

As a Final Cut Pro user from the get go, I'm wondering when apple will offer the native H265 capability.

Now that Adobe Premier is offering native H265 support, it's tough not to give their product a serious look.

Anyone hear anything on the H265 FCPX support front?

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 27, 2015 12:30 PM

52 replies

Jan 24, 2017 9:33 AM in response to Dimitris Katsafouros

The only option to work with 265 that I can see is to download Adobe Premiere Pro. You need to also download Adobe Media Encoder too. Both programs support h.265 encoding an transcoding.

If you wish to use FCPX to edit with you can transcode the h.265 to ProRes using the Adobe Media Encoder and use those ProRes files in FCPX. Or, use Adobe Premiere Pro for editing. Adobe Premiere Pro can edit h.265 natively with no transcoding to ProRes. You can have Adobe Premiere Pro transcode h.265 to ProRes along with proxy files if you wish too.

You can download a 30 day trail of Adobe Premiere Pro/Adobe Media Encoder from Adobe.

I just did a test of the above and everything works. I was using 4k footage.

User uploaded file

BTW... I use DivX to playback h.265 files. I have found it to be the best h.265 playback player for the Mac. Beat the VLC for h.265 video playback hands down.

http://www.divx.com/en/software/player/features

In closing... I have no idea of what kind of h.265 videos files that GH5 makes. Old-timers in here from past experience know that camera companies tend to make there own proprietary codecs. For example h.264/mp4 video files. Which for the large part you have to jump through hoops to make work on your computer. If you choose to download Adobe stuff I hope the h.265 that it makes will work with no problems.

Jan 1, 2017 5:57 AM in response to TomWheel

And now here we are. January 2017 and still no support for H265. Shameful Apple. I'm buying the DJI Inspire 2 which records in this format. I have been using FCPX for years and it's a shame that I may be forced to switch to Premiere. I know there are a couple of converters that can convert H265 but don't really want to add more workflow to my process.

Tom H.

Jan 1, 2017 7:24 AM in response to tomh1000

I don't think Apple wants to support H.265 for a number of reasons, one being 0.5% of gross revenue for using it. I think they're more than a little ****** by the charges placed by the patent holders consortium.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dan-rayburn/new-patent-pool-wants-05-_b_7851618.ht ml

We're just FCP users here, if you want to complain to Apple use feedback. That's what it's for.

Jan 24, 2017 7:20 AM in response to Dimitris Katsafouros

I'm in business to shoot and to assemble products that suit my clients' needs, not mine, so I'm never going to shoot on this "gh5", whatever it is. Indie shooters must find their own ways through the mazes of acquisition and post-production. If FCPX causes more problems for them than it solves then, of course, they must find a different way to edit.

Jan 24, 2017 8:07 AM in response to David Bogie Chq-1

I don't see how your answer adds anything to the discussion.

Your patronising tone is definitely not working in your favour.

A 10 second google search would have showed you that GH5 is Panasonic's most anticipated micro four thirds camera a great competitor to pro cameras, and a product that will have the ability to shoot in h265.

Sep 28, 2015 1:05 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom Wolsky wrote:.... The codec is still in development and some key components will not be finalized until next year. ...

funny fact:.

many broadcasters, e.g. EBC over here, had 'signed' h.265 as future standard for UHD and terristial delivery, but without knowing 'detail' such as license fees and DRM implementation ....

btmk, a Samsungs vDSLR is the only device officially using h265,

The saying, iPhones6' implementation of Facetime uses it (I spread it a few times here), can not find any hard facts confirming it.

Finally: h264-coding is hardware accelerated, in many/most devices; to make the most of it, you have to wait for final specs of a new codec, then 'weldering' it into silicium ... pretty sure that can be done in the fabs in Korea and China within weeks 😉 … but not done yet.

Jan 28, 2016 12:36 PM in response to wecreatetv

H.265 (aka HEVC) is now in use by Amazon, Netflix, Ultraflix, and numerous other 4K streaming sources for streaming 4K video and movies. The Roku 4 streaming box has a USB port that accepts h. 265 video and displays it in 4K to 4K TV's. I have used Roku 4 to playback video projects that I have prepared in FCP X, shared as a ProRes Master file, and then encoded in Adobe's Media Encoder CC to HEVC (h.265). The video's played perfectly from my Roku 4 player when sent to my Sony 4K video projector (VPL-VW665ES), and looked beautiful on our 100 in. screen.

Adobe is now supporting HEVC. The h.265 standards are in place, and there is really no excuse for FCPX not supporting HEVC. The last update to FCP X was in April 2014. I would be happy to pay for an update to FCP X that afforded new features like the ability to encode to HEVC (h.265), but be it a paid or free update I believe we are overdue for an update to FCP X.

Tom

Final Cut Pro X H265 Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.