Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9 news app crashing

I Recently updated my iPhone 6 to iOS 9 and have been using the news app frequently. But every once in a while I'll open an article and it will crash the app. Sometimes it crashes after a few seconds and other times it happens instantly. On some occasions it will crash, but if I open up the app again and go back to the article, it will still crash

iPhone 6, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 27, 2015 9:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2015 9:55 PM

Any particular publisher's content that you are seeing this issue with?

23 replies

Oct 9, 2015 1:10 PM in response to hillcityjosh

My iPad is a MD3300II/A (64 G White 3rd Gen) running iOS 9.0.2.

When I launch NEWS it opens in "For You" mode and I see the content that was presented the very last time the app worked (not a white screen). While I can see content, the screen is frozen. When I try touching one of the buttons at the bottom (Favorites, Explore, etc.), the app disappears but remains active-- according to "Fast-Switcher.

I have cleared safari's cache. I have killed the app by swiping up in fast-switcher and I have done a reboot of my iPad. Nothing works. iOS will not allow me to delete/reinstall this app. Short of a wipe/reset/reinstall/restore from backup of the iPad, not exactly sure what to do.

This bug seems to be specific to the iPad, as the NEWS app continues to work, using the same settings (shared via iCloud) on my iPhone 5S (ME310LL/A).

Oct 11, 2015 1:31 AM in response to hillcityjosh

I'm having the same problems with my iPad 2 with 16GB running iOS 9.0.2. News "opens" to the white screen with the status icon (which IS not rotating) and then after maybe 30 seconds, it quits/crashes. Going into the app switching more, I can see the News app is there but I still only see the white screen. Tapping on News brings the same result of quitting/crashing.

Oct 20, 2015 9:41 AM in response to colate8

I can't believe this is still happening! I have been using the News app since the first iOS 9 beta was released and the app crashed frequently then and it does the same now. The only difference is that there is more content to crash now. Seriously, this is the worst Apple user experience ever. There is nothing more frustrating then seeing an article I really want to read in my feed, clicking on it, and then having the whole **** app crash, over and over and over again. How is this still an issue Apple? Do you not have a huge team working on it? How am I getting the same amount of crashes now, on released software, that I was on beta software? If I put out software that was this crazy buggy and frustrating to use, I would get fired!

Oct 24, 2015 12:22 PM in response to colate8

Count me in on iOS 9.1 on an iPhone 6 Plus. If you enter an article (if you CAN), tap the sharing icon at the bottom of the screen to report a problem. I report items as broken with a description. Likely that I'm wasting my time since the app hasn't been fixed after this long. iOS may be intended to be the 'stability release', but I guess that doesn't apply to Apple's bundled apps.

My solution, so far, has been to use News as a way to discover news sources, but not consume them. I manually add them to Feedly, which is more reliable, is usable on the desktop, and doesn't decide which articles to display based on some algorithm or curator.

Oct 24, 2015 4:12 PM in response to LuxViz

I was getting the same thing with the white screen, then crashing after a few seconds. Here's how I go mine working again:

Open Settings, then select iCloud from the list on the left. Find the News app in the list to the right and turn OFF the iCloud sync. You'll get a pop-up window asking what you'd like to do with previously synced iCloud News data on your device. Choose "Delete from My iPad" (or iPhone). Now turn it back on before you launch News. This should keep your Favorites as it was before the crashing. If you launch News while the iCloud setting is OFF, the News app will not sync with iCloud and will start up like it did the first time you launched it. (At least that's how it worked for me).

Seems like some sync'd data is the culprit here. I think I landed on an article that wouldn't load and then crashed the app, and then it just kept crashing when launching because it kept trying to load that same article.

Hope this helps.

Oct 31, 2015 12:25 PM in response to Maya Dobroth

I had this same issue on an older IPad. My cloud syncing settings were already off, so I needed to turn them on first And then launched the News app. That didn't work obviously, but then when went back to settings I turned the synch setting off. I then got the prompt to delete the data from the Ipad. Once I relaunched the News app, it walked me through the setup routine again and works fine now.

iOS 9 news app crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.