Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Car Play

We have ordered a 2016 Subaru Outback & would like to have whatever is needed for Apple Car Play to be factory- installed. The Subaru salesman does not know anything about Car Play. Does anyone know if the 2016 Subaru Outbacks can be factory-outfitted to run Car Play? I'd rather not change the audio system in a brand new car to a 3rd party Car Play compatible one.

iPhone 5, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Sep 28, 2015 1:26 PM

20 replies

Jan 9, 2017 1:06 PM in response to Klahane

I have a 2017 Legacy and unfortunately it does not seem to have CarPlay. I'm hoping someday they will update the system to include it but not holding my breath. The weird thing is that it is supported on the 2017 Impreza which my friend just purchased. You would think they would have included it on the Legacy as well.

Sep 28, 2015 1:56 PM in response to dhjaffe

If you've already ordered it, it's a little late now. If it were available, believe me, it would have been listed as a bullet point in the specs for the car.

You might want to look through the Subaru web site. Check the 'Build and price' options to configure a car from scratch.

From what I can see, there is no mention of Car-Play at all in the options, meaning the only way you'll get it is to install a 3rd party audio system.

Sep 28, 2015 1:55 PM in response to dhjaffe

KiltedTim is right. Subaru does not appear to offer CarPlay on any vehicle at this time.

If you've already ordered one, it would have been part of the options offered to you when purchasing if it were available. Its not something they would choose not to mention.

You are probably getting the Subaru StarLink media center option if anything.

May 29, 2016 12:49 AM in response to dhjaffe

I'm in the same boat. My car died and I replaced,it with an outback. if I have to I'll mount my iPad over the builtin display to get iOS integration. I would lose things like the backup camera and speed limit warnings, but I would get a better navigation system and audio options like switching between Apple Music , audible, podcasts, etc.

Dec 22, 2016 4:19 AM in response to bjornsenjosh95

I was in the same boat when I inquired about car play in the 2016 Outback I was purchasing in mid 2015. The salesmen did not know much about it at that time but I purchased the Outback anyway since it wasn't a dealbreaker. I've hoped for a firmware update or upgrade path ever since and when I get the most recent issue of Deive Subaru Magizine an ad in there showed the Apple icons on the Subaru radio and I thought it might have finally happened. But through some research (not complete, btw) it seems CarPlay is still not implemented.

I came up with an alternate plan some time back and it's worked out very well for me. The iPad mini is the perfect size to cover the center bay door in front of the USB connectors. With the right case it fits somewhat snugly but road bumps would dislodge it at random. Enter doublefaced velcro and an old hockey mask cage guard holder I found lying around. I shape the plastic of the cage holder and use the Velcro to put it in place beside the shift lever and now can slide the iPad over top of the door and the face shield holder holds it there. That's just what I found to use but anything that can act as a stay would hold the iPad in place. At first I tried powerful magnets behind each side cover beside the door and narrow slivers of stainless inside the iPad case but they're just was not enough holding power that way.

I got a flat USB to lightning cable and ran it from the USB port, underneath the closed door and into the iPad so it would be direct connect. And plugged my phone which is an iPhone into the PowerPort in the center armrest and connect that via Bluetooth. Benefit is charging while driving and phone connection to system.

Music and Nav from iPad, phone and voice to text from Bluetooth.

It's not perfect and sometimes looses the phone connection but works well overall. The other downfall is if I want local radio or Sirrus radio while nav is active there is no voice through system for Nav directions since the audio is from a different source.

Still hoping for a upgrade path but I would expect it would take the form of a new car. Lol. Why make a firmware change (given the chipset allows) and make pennies if that, or make thousands on a new vehicle

Just my two cents.... cheers!

Apple Car Play

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.