Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is ATT throttling Apple Music??

For the last week or two, I've been virtually unable to stream Apple Music over AT&T LTE in southeastern Wisconsin. Everything else is super fast. A Speedtest routinely shows I can get 20Mbps. I thought maybe it was on Apple's end, but I never have I have trouble over WiFi. I do not have "High Quality over Cellular" enabled, though I'm kind of annoyed I can't even try it! Anyone else having issues? Any theories?

Posted on Sep 28, 2015 6:15 PM

91 replies

Sep 29, 2015 5:29 AM in response to Michael Duffy1

I am having the same issue over LTE. No other apps seem to cause problems and it all started about 2-3 weeks ago in Orlando, Florida area. I have AT&T also. I called my carrier and they confirmed that I am not being throttled on their end. I have unlimited data still with them and the support analyst actually said they increased the cap before you get throttled to 22GB instead of 5GB. I have noticed Apple Music consistently cutting out though while streaming in my car over Bluetooth or my Bluetooth LG Headset. I thought maybe it was a Bluetooth issue and noticed that the Facebook app would actually fight for control of the sound if it is running in the background but even after rejoining my phone to my car, Apple Music continues to be an intermittent issue.

Sep 29, 2015 6:31 AM in response to Michael Duffy1

Yes! I am having the exact same issue in the Cape Coral, FL area; it's been about the last three to four weeks... I am unable to recall if it started before or after the upgrade to iOS 9. However, my wife and I are having the exact same issues between many devices. Her iPhone 5S and my iPhone 6, and then since upgrading, my iPhone 6S and the iPhone 6 restored to her profile and with a new SIM. All four configurations are having the same issue, I am also getting 15-20 mbps down speeds on my AT&T LTE network, and have no issue streaming Beats 1 (which seems to be a similar bitrate to the on demand songs of the rest of Apple Music). Songs in both playlists, my library, or even the preconfigured Apple Music Radio stations all try to stream a song.. often hang, or start to play about 2-5 seconds worth.. and then completely cut out. On occasion they will start up again about 20 seconds later.. but usually only get another 3 seconds out before cutting out again. It's absolutely infuriating. Over the wifi at my house, which is actually slower and more inconsistent than my LTE connection, I can download entire albums in seconds. Anecdotally, when I got my new phone last week, I turned the wifi on in off after restoring to download all of my apps over LTE, because my modem kept on crapping out over the multiple connections (this is another story, but proves that my LTE data connection to some Apple services is otherwise sound). Curiously, I have noticed mildly better luck in downloading songs that I have uploaded to my iCloud Music Library via iTunes Match, which are not in Apple's library, over LTE.. but this is not a sure thing either.

I have attempted to log out of my iTunes store account, reset the network settings on my device, toggle cellular on and off, as well as apple music's app specific cellular data toggles, and the high quality setting, with no change in the behavior. My wife's phone uses her own Apple Music account tied to mine by the iCloud Family plan. A month ago, this stuff worked great.. and while I can download music at home and then listen in the car, 90% of my music listening is during commutes and road trips, and the flexibility of being able to call upon random playlists and albums on a whim is the main reason I want to fork $15 a month to Apple for this. I'm unsure if this is some sort of server side issue, a bug in iOS regarding Cellular connections, or AT&T throttling the specific servers that contain the Apple Music files.. but something needs to be done about it.. especially now at this time when

Sep 29, 2015 6:44 AM in response to Michael Duffy1

I don't think it's an iOS 9 problem -- I just upgraded to iOS 9 last night (hoping, actually, that it would fix the problem), but I've been having this issue for the past several days. Given that everything seems to work fine over WiFi, including the same songs that just a few seconds before weren't playing over LTE, I'm inclined to believe the problem is on AT&T's end.

Sep 29, 2015 6:53 AM in response to mkulkarni

That's very interesting -- so, it happens in iOS 8? Would you say it started around the time iOS 9 came out?

I was really thinking it was iOS 9, given the wonky behavior of Apple Music when trying to stream over cellular and the fact that Apple added new options for streaming Apple Music over cellular in iOS 9. But maybe AT&T changed something around that time.

Isn't it Sprint that offers music streaming that doesn't count against your data (in which case, the carriers can obviously and readily pinpoint those servers/data)?

Sep 29, 2015 7:00 AM in response to Michael Duffy1

Same issue here. It has to be AT&T. It seems to be all Apple downloads, even apps. No issues over wifi, and all other LTE downloads/streams go super fast.

To test, I turned off wifi and tried to play Apple Music over LTE. The song wouldn't even start. Then I turned on my VPN (still over LTE), and tried playing another song. It started playing right away and I can change songs with no issues. I had the same results with app downloads.

Edit: This started happening for me prior to iOS 9 as well. Maybe 2 weeks ago.

Sep 29, 2015 8:20 AM in response to Aelton

Actually, a second related question.. do all of you happen to have grandfathered unlimited data plans? Or are some of you on newer mobile share ones? I'm an unlimited customer... I would really hate if they upped the data throttling cap to 22GB, only to throttle Apple Music itself, which is honestly the only siginificant source of my data usage.

Is ATT throttling Apple Music??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.