Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple mail accounts & boxes Missing

After upgrading to El Capitan ALL my mail accounts and mail boxes have gone. It wants me to start afresh. I have 5 POP and 3 imap accounts and loads of Inbox & Outbox files.

How do I restore all of this.

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 3:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 9:49 PM

If I may tag along - Same problem. I have recreated the mail accounts, but now don't have the mail boxes (hundreds, all with content going back years). I do have Time Machine backups if that helps.

37 replies

Sep 30, 2015 11:34 PM in response to BobHallsworth

I think I did it the hard way. Recreated the accounts, which was no bad thing as I took the opportunity to tidy them up.

Then I used Time Machine to bring back all the "On My Mac" items.

It did re-build sub-folders too, so I should probably have one top level folder with the others under it.

Just glad I've been doing Time Machine backups 🙂

Oct 1, 2015 1:07 AM in response to FineWine

Also having the same (but different?) problem. NONE of my x7 mail a/c's (imaps, pops, gmail, iCloud, personal website a/c, yahoo etc) are showing at all and the 'rebuild' option is unavailable as there are no mailboxes! I didn't do a clean install and everything else on my iMac is as it was. ARGH! Never had this issue in 24yrs of using macs. This doesn't mean I'm tech savvy though - can someone please help / anyone have same issue? Many thanks.

Oct 1, 2015 2:28 AM in response to Trisha Foster

Hi Trisha Foster. I use classic view in my mail app and all of my mail boxes are in a column on the left, next to iCloud there is a + sign and a hide or show button; click show. Also, right click on an email and select copy to and a menu of available mail boxes will appear even ones that are hidden. If your missing mail boxes show up there, then they are just hidden. If not there, then ask for more help.

Good Luck: Tom

Oct 1, 2015 5:01 AM in response to FineWine

OK - I have solved my own problem by:

1 - recreated manually all my POP accounts & iCloud account. (decided I did not need my gmail imap accounts as hadn't used them in ages)

2 - Using Time Machine from within mail restored all my 'Received' & 'Sent' filing mailboxes. NOTE: They will be restored under On My Mac, TimeMachine, I just dragged them out of Time Machine and dropped them under On My Mac as they where before, after they had been restored .

3 - Rebuilt all accounts and filing mailboxes

4 - Went through Preferences and reset-up all by previous settings. Though my Signatures were still there I just had to re-associate them to the appropriate accounts.

We are now good to go

Strange thing is that the ~user/library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist was not recreated so I do not know where the preference settings are any more. Plus allot of files that were in ~user/Library/Application support/Mail no longer used so I moved those into a Temp folder for the time being. All filed mail is kept in ~user/Library/Application support/Mail/Mailboxes and most of the settings & preferences are kept in ~user/Library/Application support/Mail/MailData with each actual account kept in an alphanumeric folder ~user/Library/Application support/Mail.

Oct 1, 2015 2:39 PM in response to nokcomputer

Thanks nokcomputer, you saved several handfuls of my rapidly-thinning hair! 🙂

Quite why the user has to manually trigger the rebuild, I've no idea - surely it could have been done automatically as part of the upgrade?!

To those who say this didn't work for them, it could be a case of having to wait a while - mine took about 5 min, maybe more, of apparently nothing happening, and then all of a sudden it all just appeared. (To be fair, I have thousands of messages in my inbox, so no wonder!)

Apple mail accounts & boxes Missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.