Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5, iOS 9.0.2 can't sync on iTunes

Just downloaded and upgraded iOS 9.0.2 to my iPhone 5 via iTunes, then immediately got this after the phone rebooted:

"The iPhone “iPhone” cannot be used because it requires a newer version of iTunes. Go to www.itunes.com to download the latest version of iTunes."

My MacBook is running OSX 10.6.8 and iTunes 11.4, both the latest it's able. End of the road?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 3:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 5:36 PM

I have the same problem after "upgrading" my iphone 5 to ios 9.0.2 and i cannot upgrade my macbook os from os x 10.6.8 to el capitan because my 2008 version doesn't have the hardware requirements. Is there no workaround? Why won't Apple let you upgrade to higher itunes than 11.4 with os x 10.6.8. I'm furious! All i want to be able to do is add and remove songs on my iphone 5.

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2015 5:36 PM in response to VistaBlueGT

I have the same problem after "upgrading" my iphone 5 to ios 9.0.2 and i cannot upgrade my macbook os from os x 10.6.8 to el capitan because my 2008 version doesn't have the hardware requirements. Is there no workaround? Why won't Apple let you upgrade to higher itunes than 11.4 with os x 10.6.8. I'm furious! All i want to be able to do is add and remove songs on my iphone 5.

Oct 2, 2015 2:51 AM in response to VistaBlueGT

I waited 12 months for Apple to come up with a fix for ios 8 on my Ipad3 and was happy with 9.0.1. now they have broken the Itunes link with 9.0.2.

If this is planned then its goodbye from me. I'm on Snow Leopard because my IMAC wont run anything higher without slowing down too much.

I'm happy with Snow Leopard it has been solid. but looks like I will have to go Android tablet. Great way to alienate customers.

Oct 5, 2015 7:23 AM in response to pacobell73

Okay, maybe I am venting here but I have read so many posts about this in the past week or so. If you want to run old things then you need to learn about running old software. That includes running old software system wide. Why did you upgrade in the first place? Why did you upgrade without first triple checking it wasn't going to affect every other technology item you own? Just because Apple brings out an upgrade there is no reason to unquestioningly install it, and certainly not if you are running anything with a more than 5 year time difference. In fact iTunes is one of the last applications to get left behind in Apple's collection and in general it has supported computers with hardware up to 10 years old (of course you have to have updated your operating system periodically). We're not talking about a potato masher here where you can keep using the same one for 100 years. We're talking digital technology where anything you own is replaced by a newer model every 12 months. Yes, I understand your anguish but I own a 13 year old computer and I have never updated just because Apple said to. In fact I still run iTunes 7.5. I also know never to go out and buy an i-gadget because any new device will require iTunes 12.3.

Oct 6, 2015 6:06 AM in response to Limnos

While the point made is well taken, the fact remains that many Apple users have different levels of understanding and want simplicity. We are sold the idea that the latest and greatest version of whatever software Apple has become available is what we need to operate properly. However, it should not come at a cost. Backwards compatibility is very important, particularly in today's age where the technology changes far quicker than the average consumer can keep up with it.

Another serious problem with 9.0.2's disregard for older versions of iTunes is that you cannot back up your iPhone on your laptop/iMac, since it does not recognize the phone. I connect my iPhone to my iMac nightly to sync everything and perform backups. This is no longer possible.

It is hoped that Apple will see error of their ways. The fact that I have brought my iPhone to no less than two Apple stores and staff was unaware of this notable glitch in the 9.0.2 upgrade speaks volumes, meaning the average user would not have found this upon researching it.

Oct 6, 2015 12:17 PM in response to pacobell73

We don't know which exact model Mac you have. For some users 10.6.8 is probably the highest OS version they can install. Additionally, even if you can install a newer version make sure your computer has enough RAM. When I received a late '08 MacBook it came with the original RAM configuration of 2 GB but a Mavericks installation which was taking up 1.98 GB = essentially zero RAM for running any applications. It will work but will be horribly slow.

Oct 6, 2015 8:51 PM in response to pacobell73

Yes, I updated to Yosemite 2 weeks ago on my early 2008 iMac. It may create other problems, but your iTunes should at least recognize your device.

Since your iTunes dates from 2008, and presumably have a large library, I will add a word of caution. BE WARNED, though, that if you have a lot of files in your library (I've seen >200GB reporting a problem, though my library is larger) iTunes 12.3 is a disaster for you. It will begin to run unacceptably slowly, and it may not sync anything at all to your device(s). I've been working with Apple support for a couple of hours on this (over a couple of weeks), and haven't really made progress.

Presumably iTunes 12.3 works OK for most people, since I don't see a lot of problems like this popping up in various forums. FWIW (not much) I can stream anything I want... 😐

iPhone 5, iOS 9.0.2 can't sync on iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.