Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple wired full-size keyboard not working after OS X El Capitan update

Just finished installing OS X El Capitan on my iMac (mid 2014 model) with no issue other than the fact that my Apple wired full-size keyboard will not work now. It is the most current Apple keyboard and was working fine until the update. I had to switch back to my bluetooth keyboard until I figure out what the issue is. Hoping someone has some ideas for me?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 6:00 PM

27 replies

Apr 7, 2017 9:54 AM in response to Dogcow-Moof

I had the same issue today. New iMac brand-new extended keyboard. I couldn't get there after restarting, so I could not go to about this Mac. Tried every USB port, and none worked. Got the dialogue that it was looking for a discoverable Bluetooth keyboard. But I had a wired one plugged in!! What finally worked is plugging a wired mouse into the wired keyboard.

Sep 30, 2015 6:09 PM in response to Dogcow-Moof

Yes, it shows up under the USB section of System Report and now the keyboard works! I'm not sure what the issue was, I even restarted, unplugged and plugged back in and it didn't work but as soon I followed those steps it must have activated the keyboard, I have no idea how that would fix the issue but it did, thank you for the help 🙂

Oct 12, 2015 5:12 AM in response to confettikid24

The same with my USB full sized keyboard. It just stopped working. It works well with other macs. No wired keyboard works with my iMac. Bluetooth keybord works. So I rebooted my iMac to recovery and whoa the USB keyboard works there, is recogniezed and can type in terminal... So it needs to be corrupted driver, kext or something similiar... It seems that only reinstall of OSX from recovery might help.

Oct 28, 2015 12:58 AM in response to davidmhardwick

I know the answer comes a bit late, but I just got the same issue. After I tried to restart my MacBook Pro just as often as I unplugged my keyboard and put it back I found a (yet very simple) way to solve this.

• Shut Down your computer (not restart)
  • detach any devices including screens
  • remove the power cable
  • Turn On your computer and wait until everything's loaded
  • now put back your keyboard
  • Everything should work now

Apple wired full-size keyboard not working after OS X El Capitan update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.