Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet not working with El Capitan

I have a new macbook 12" and I constantly use the ethernet adapter, I just installed El Capitan and now it's not working!!! Anyone has the same problem?

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015)

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 9:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 9:41 PM

Try rebooting.

68 replies

Oct 1, 2015 6:50 AM in response to fguay

I'm having the same problem with the ethernet not connecting. I can have it plugged in and the adapter blinking to tell me it's on but when I go to network preferences it says my ethernet is not connected. I tried taking it off and refreshing it in a way but now I can't get anything to appear in the bar about the ethernet assumably because it still thinks it's not connected.

Oct 1, 2015 7:49 AM in response to razutro

I'm having the same problem. OS is not recognizing the ethernet converter being plugged in to the USB port. I tried restarting, shutting down, manually entering network settings, reinstalling drivers for ethernet converter, and just about any other simple solution, none of it has worked. I have also verified that the USB port is not the problem as I can connect to my phone via the USB.

Oct 1, 2015 9:31 PM in response to razutro

My Mac Mini (late 2011) is connected by ethernet to a Topfield PVR. The Topfield has a web server and an FTP server. The connection is direct - there is no router between them as they are only 30cm apart and there are no other devices connected.

The ethernet connection has not worked properly since I installed OS X 10.10.5. With 10.10.5, it took 2-3 attempts to get a connection. In frustration I installed the 10.11 GM release. Ethernet to the PVR has not worked since. Tried the 10.11.1 public beta with no change. Installed the public 10.11 release yesterday but still no ethernet connection visible on the Mini.

Have done an IP scan and found that the PVR is not visible on the network. I've not yet browsed all the log files but, nothing appears in Console when I try to connect.

The green light (power) on the PVR ethernet socket is working and the yellow light (data) blinks. But, the Mac Mini can't see the PVR on the network.

Have tried changing the manually set IP addresses of the Mac Mini and PVR with no improvement.

I think given all the reports in this conversation that it's an El Capitan bug (but which started with 10.10.5). Could this be related to Apple's decision to revert to mdnsResponder ?

Oct 2, 2015 1:34 AM in response to bysh

Hello,

First, unplug your thunderbolt ethernet adapter.

To solve the problem, open your Apple > Network config > Network Preferances

On the left zone, select "Thunderbolt Ethernet", and remove it (with minus) on each network config.

After you remove all Thunderbolt Ethernet on each network config, save with "apply" button.

After that, on one network config, click on "+" on the left panel and select interface "Thunderbolt Ethernet" and click sur create, and after "apply".

Plug your thunderbolt adapter and see if status of Thunderbolt Ethernet change (on the right panel). After some second, and if your wire / network is ok, the color should change from red to green. If it's ok, you could re-create "Thunderbolt Ethernet" for each config.

It worked for me , I hope it will work for you.

Frédéric,

Oct 2, 2015 3:30 PM in response to fguay

My iMac is late 2009 and has no thunderbolt facility. Even so, thunderbolt bridge was visible in my networking preferences. So I deleted it did a restart and tried to connect with no luck. An IP scan doesn't show my PVR connected and Connect to server doesn't succeed. Safari also can't access the PVR web server.

There was no problem until I installed 10.10.5 and then 10.11.

Oct 3, 2015 8:39 PM in response to Garry Brooke

My Ethernet is not working after installation, WIFi fine

Per Network diagnostics: "Either the cable for (Simple Dock) AX88179 USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet is not plugged in or the device at the other end is not responding."

I then used Used Migration Assistant to import System settings only, no change. Centurylink supplied router is connected to the Simple Dock, worked fine prior to the upgrade.

Oct 3, 2015 8:42 PM in response to razutro

My Ethernet is not working after installation, WIFi fine

Per Network diagnostics: "Either the cable for (Simple Dock) AX88179 USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet is not plugged in or the device at the other end is not responding."

I then used Used Migration Assistant to import System settings only, no change. Centurylink supplied router is connected to the Simple Dock, worked fine prior to the upgrade.

Edit

Ethernet not working with El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.