Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Remote Desktop not working

Apple Remote Desktop has stopped working on El Capitan. It will work on LAN locally but not over the internet.

Anyone else?

Posted on Sep 30, 2015 10:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 7:46 PM

Hello Macsterguy,

In order to find computers that aren't on your local subnet, you'll need to setup any routers and firewalls on that subnet to pass network pings and TCP as well as UDB packets on ports 3283 and 5900. Chapter 4 (page 53) of the Apple Remote Desktop Admin Guide provides more information about finding and adding clients.

Apple Remote Desktop Administrator’s Guide
www.apple.com/server/docs/ARD3.2_AdminGuide.pdf

Cheers

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2015 7:46 PM in response to Macsterguy

Hello Macsterguy,

In order to find computers that aren't on your local subnet, you'll need to setup any routers and firewalls on that subnet to pass network pings and TCP as well as UDB packets on ports 3283 and 5900. Chapter 4 (page 53) of the Apple Remote Desktop Admin Guide provides more information about finding and adding clients.

Apple Remote Desktop Administrator’s Guide
www.apple.com/server/docs/ARD3.2_AdminGuide.pdf

Cheers

Oct 1, 2015 7:34 AM in response to Macsterguy

Been having that issue since the upgrade too. I have found that on the client computers if you disable "remote management" in system preferences > sharing and then re-enable it, it works as it did before. Definitely a tricky situation as there are a lot of machines I do not have direct access to so disable/re-enable is not an option for those.

Oct 23, 2015 1:27 AM in response to Macsterguy

Hello,

I have the same problem. Since I upgraded my MacBook Pro to 10.11, Apple Remote is not connecting any more to the remote computers in my list (LAN and VPN). The dialog box 'Connecting…" remains until timeout. For me, it is not working to disable "remote management" in system preferences > sharing and then re-enable it, as suggested.

However, it is possible to send a message, chat or update the client software on the same remote computers via Remote Desktop. It is also possible to connect to the same remote computers from my MacBook via Screen Sharing.

I did a clean install of El Capitan and Remote Desktop on a test computer, and here the connection to the same remote computers is immediate.

Conclusion, the problem is not the firewall, not the client software on the remote computers, not on a clean install of El Capitan and Apple Remote Desktop but it still remains on the upgraded El Capitan.

I tried to uninstall Remote Desktop and to clear preferences in /Library/Application Support/Apple/Remote Desktop/, restart computer, re-install Remote Desktop but the problem remains.

Any other suggestion ?

Oct 28, 2015 1:35 PM in response to Macsterguy

This ARD issue seems to be one of screen rescaling, as the Apple Console error message reads: Remote Desktop[583]: Could not set scaling factor to -0.062222 when connection to a client is attempted. I was able to run a test and successfully connect with one of my clients once I moved ARD back to my MacBook Pro screen from my attached external monitor. It seems that if ARD tries to access a client while you are on an external monitor, it will fail to connect for some reason.

Try this work-around, as it worked for me, but it may not be a solution for Desktops connected to a monitor which I'm unable to test.

Oct 29, 2015 9:01 AM in response to Adifrasnes

I use ARD on a 2nd monitor on a Mac Pro. After El Captain update, all connections worked normally except connections to version 3.4 clients (they're PPC 10.5 machines).

When trying to Control or Observe the 3.4 clients, the Remote Desktop window would lose focus, but no Control/Observe window would appear. The client was listed, however, in the Window menu...but I couldn't "see" a window on the monitor.

Following the lead of Adifrasnes, I moved the Remote Desktop window to my primary monitor, quit ARD, relaunched it, and was then able to Observe/Control the 3.4 clients successfully.

Thanks for the tip.

Nov 21, 2015 12:36 PM in response to pointroll

Hi

I have had the same problem. I can confirm that the described fix also works on a desktop computer with dual monitors. I have to have the Remote Desktop window on Monitor 1 to be able to connect to client computers.

Interestingly, my workaround to the scaling error was to use the Screensharing app located in CoreServices before I knew of this fix. It was not affected at all.

Also if the computer was restarted, the first time Remote Desktop was used with the window in the second monitor, you could connect to a client but if you disconnectled and tried to connect again to the same client or another client, the scaling error would appear.

Thanks for finding the workaround fix!

Kind regards

Michael

Apple Remote Desktop not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.