Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan Cannot start after upgrade

Dear all,

After my mac downloaded El Capitan and restarted itself, the loading page appeared and the loading line below the apple sign started to install, BUT stopped at about 90%, for hours! I left it go to bed. I woke and found same page still loading at 90%! So I force restarted the computer, a log in page appeared, once I type my log in details the loading line started load but stops at half way Now! Anyone knows what to do Please? I need at least to go back to previous OS X system so I won't lose my files.

look foward to hearing from your suggestions! many thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 2:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 9:07 AM

Hello there AHMS,

It sounds like you are unable to boot into your profile on your mac after installing Mac OS X 10.11. I would next boot to Safe Mode with the following information and see if you can log in there:

Start up in safe mode - Mac Help

1. Choose Apple menu > Shut Down.

2. After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.

3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key.

You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.

4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator.

To leave safe mode, restart your Mac again, but don’t hold down any keys during startup.

If so restart your computer as normal and attempt logging in again. If not then I would next reinstall El Capitan and try logging in again:

Reinstall OS X - Mac Help

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2015 9:07 AM in response to AHMS

Hello there AHMS,

It sounds like you are unable to boot into your profile on your mac after installing Mac OS X 10.11. I would next boot to Safe Mode with the following information and see if you can log in there:

Start up in safe mode - Mac Help

1. Choose Apple menu > Shut Down.

2. After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.

3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key.

You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.

4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator.

To leave safe mode, restart your Mac again, but don’t hold down any keys during startup.

If so restart your computer as normal and attempt logging in again. If not then I would next reinstall El Capitan and try logging in again:

Reinstall OS X - Mac Help

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Oct 1, 2015 9:21 AM in response to AHMS

Safe mode boot will not work...

Do Recovery boot

This resolved my problem, I was you yesterday..panic, everything great now

DO THIS

Command + R

Hold down the Command and R keys at the same time

Use this process

With Mac off, cut Mac on, when you HEAR the CHORD sound immediately press and hold Command and R keys, once you see the Apple logo and the process bar release the keys wait for Recovery boot up...

Choose second option REINSTALL OS X

You can take it from there

Good luck...

Oct 1, 2015 9:26 AM in response to justJanet

Hi JustJanet,

I have tried safe mode and reboot, everything worked well in safe mode and the system shows OS X El Capitan as well. So It means the operation system is installed. But somehow it doesn't start up.

So I called Apple Support. That's what she advised me to do which solved the issue:

1) Log in safe mode -> System Preference -> Users & Groups -> unlock to make changes
2) Select the Admin user -> click "Login items" next to the password

3) Delete all the items in there

4) Open Finder -> on the top menu -> select Go while press ALT at the same time -> a new folder "Library" appears
5) Click Library -> delete all of the files in these folders: Caches; LaunchAgents; Saved Application State.

6) Click Go on the top menu again -> Go To Folder -> type: /Library/Caches -> click Go below ->delete all of the files inside

7) Repeat the above -> type: /Library/LaunchAgents, then delete things inside
8) Repeat the above -> type: /Library/StartUpItems, then delete things inside if there is any
9) Repeat the above ->type: /Library/LaunchDaemons, then delete things inside

10) Restart computer to normal mode

11) It should solved, the computer should now log into the El Capitan perfectly. Then you can empty the Trash.

Try it, and let me know if it solves your son's Macbook!

Best,

Michael

Oct 2, 2015 3:14 AM in response to AHMS

This seemed to have solved my problem too.

I was later able to re-add my login items and boot is fine.

Only question I have is what exactly did I delete, and how will this affect me?

From my under standing, these were all cache, launch and start up items.

Will they "recreate" themselves seamlessly? is any other manual work needed on my part? will any change be noticeable?

Mostly curious about this.

Again the issue itself is resolved, which is what I was mostly concerned about.

Thanks!

Oct 2, 2015 4:32 AM in response to IR1984

Hi IR1984,

That was exactly what I asked the Apple advisor. She said all the files were temporary caches. They will not affect any software on your computer and they will be created automatically.

After I deleted those files, I have not had any issues yet with my laptop.

Best,

Michael

El Capitan Cannot start after upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.