Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan - Mailproblems

After updating two of my mail accounts cannot access it´s servers. "Cannot verify account name or password". Been in contact with support at mail provider but my settings are ok but still not work. It started after updating to El Capitan.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2011), OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 2:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 7:47 AM

Have the same issues here--and know the settings are OK (have another Mac running Yosemite and an iPhone on iOS9 working fine). Have tried the usual things such as logging out and restarting, but still no resolution, even after trying (unsuccessfully) to reenter the passwords).

34 replies

Oct 2, 2015 7:53 AM in response to OlovN

I've got the same problem.

all my mail accounts can receive mails but i can't send any mail.

i closed ssl on all acconts and saved the settings. after reopen the settings ssl is on again.

when i try to send a mail, mail asked for a password from another account. when i put in the passwort the i became the answer mail that the authorisation failed. when i check the connectio,n mail connect to the server and for all accounts the green lamp is on, all account- and passwordsettings are correct! BUT I CAN'T SEND ANY MAIL 😟

Maybe any idea?

i must send mails with layouts to customers.

Oct 4, 2015 11:44 AM in response to Volker Loschek

Also:

From my research on other boards (Ask Different, et.al.), one thing you may want to check is your outgoing mail server (and port number, if it's SSL). According to some developers who were testing the beta versions of El Capitan, the problem may be the result of Yosemite allowing some more room for error, which is no longer allowed (presumably for security reasons).

Another temporary solution is to use a third-party mail client such as Thunderbird or Outlook. Because of redundancy, I have a separate Web server account (with associated e-mails), where I use Thunderbird as the client. No issues at all on this setup after upgrading to El Capitan. If you're accessing via the IMAP protocol, it won't pull all the messages anyway--those will be on the server still (unless you delete them), so you can do this until the issues in Apple Mail are resolved.

Oct 2, 2015 10:08 PM in response to Volker Loschek

Update--

I have my issues worked out. As noted in my post above, some settings that may have worked in the past (incoming mail server, outgoing, port numbers, et.al.) possibly won't now.

It can be confusing to find some of these settings. What you could try, is like LRicci posted above, deleting your accounts and setting them up by going in the Apple Mail menu > Accounts. After that, you can check your advanced settings by going to main menu > Preferences. Make sure all settings are correct (you may have to confirm with your Web/Mail hosting provider).

Oct 3, 2015 9:04 AM in response to OlovN

Alright, here is what I figured out if you are using Time Warner (I used LRicci's method from above):

1) Make sure you can access Webmail online.

2) Contact TW and get all of your account information for the POP servers and the IMAP servers

• incoming address and port number
  • outgoing address and port number
  • username should be email address
  • password is the same for both online webmail and Mac Mail client

3) WITHOUT deleting your non-functioning email yet, create another email;

for me, my POP email client was not working so I created an another IMAP (automatically chose this for me)

1. Open Mail
  2. Click on 'Mail' next to the Apple in the upper left hand corner
  3. Click on 'Preferences'
  4. Click on 'Accounts'
  5. Click on the '+" at the bottom left hand of the small window that opened when you opened 'Accounts'
  6. Click the 'other' radio button
  7. Put in username and password that you used to access webmail and your Mail Client.
  8. Click 'sign' in.
  9. Enter information as needed that you got from TW.

4) NOTE : Incoming port number was incorrect at creation point and had to be altered using the TW information. Changed it and just checked it but it switched

back to the information that originally was created when creating a new account. Weird, huh?

5) If you are nervous about deleting old email (in my case, it was the POP client), just click the box to make it inactive.

6) Send and receive email again through Mac Mail.

Hope this helps,

Chuck

Oct 20, 2015 2:11 PM in response to OlovN

I had the same issue with my Outlook.com account and I didn't have to delete the account.

The solution was:

1. Go to Mail -> Preferences -> Accounts

2. Select the Outlook account

3. Look for the Incoming Mail Server details

4. In the Password field, enter the email password you use to sign in to your account.

El Capitan - Mailproblems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.