Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain Access - can't enter password in First aid.

Hi all

After installing El Capitan I have a BIIG problem.. For some reason the password field in first aid in Keychain Access is suddenly missing. I get the following error when trying to run it anyway:

Repair started

Checking keychain configuration for jphansen (user ID=501)

Home directory is /Users/jphansen

Checked login keychain

Checked settings for ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain

Keychain can't be unlocked automatically. Please attempt to unlock ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain from Keychain Access.

Unable to change password for ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain. Please change password using Edit > Change Password for Keychain.

Checked default keychain

Checked contents of ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain

No problems found

Repair completed

And at the same time the login keychain locks..

I can change the password but it doesn't make a difference.. I have tried disabling iCloud keychain and throw out the "XXXX-C137-55C9-8894-8900F6509C72" folder. Restarted in Recovery mode and disabled Rootless to see if that made a difference.. It didn't.

Anyone else have this issue.. or know how to fix it?

I also get a ton if these msgs in the console:

01/10/15 11:32:02,693 secd[569]: securityd_xpc_dictionary_handler SocialPushAgent[608] copy_matching Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-34018 "client has neither application-identifier nor keychain-access-groups entitlements" UserInfo={NSDescription=client has neither application-identifier nor keychain-access-groups entitlements}

01/10/15 11:40:16,021 secd[569]: securityd_xpc_dictionary_handler cloudd[589] copy_matching Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-50 "query missing class name" (paramErr: error in user parameter list) UserInfo={NSDescription=query missing class name}

01/10/15 11:40:16,021 cloudd[589]: SecOSStatusWith error:[-50] Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-50 "query missing class name" (paramErr: error in user parameter list) UserInfo={NSDescription=query missing class name}

01/10/15 11:42:13,827 Keychain Access[1148]: Failed to connect (_showExpiredCerts) outlet from (KeychainApp) to (NSMenuItem): missing setter or instance variable

The problem seems to be on both my iMac and Macbook Pro :-/

Macbook Pro 17" Unibody, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 2:55 AM

56 replies

Oct 1, 2015 8:52 AM in response to JP Hansen

Greetings JP Hansen,

Thank you for being a long term Apple Support Communities member and for taking the time to post this question!

I understand the errors that you are receiving with Keychain Access and can read the great troubleshooting that you have already completed, but have you tried to reset the keychain?

To reset your keychain in Mac OS X 10.4, Mac OS X 10.5, and Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or later:

1. Open Keychain Access, which is in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.
  2. From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.
  3. Click General, then click Reset My Default Keychain.
  4. Authenticate with your account login password.
  5. Quit Keychain Access.
  6. Restart your computer.

Resetting your keychain in Mac OS X - Apple Support

Please reply and let us know if resetting the keychain helped you resolve this issue or to provide further information. We know that issues after updating can be frustrating, but I want to assure you that we are here to help!

We are glad that you are a part of the Apple Support Communities and look forward to hearing more from you! :)

Cheers!

Oct 1, 2015 9:29 AM in response to JP Hansen

Hi JP Hansen,

Thanks for replying with that information!

After looking at the link to the photo, I can understand your concern and frustration. In this situation, you may want to contact Apple Support directly so we can really dig in and get to the bottom of this issue. To get in touch with AppleCare, start by clicking the link below.

Mac - Apple Support

As always, we invite you to reply and let the community know what steps AppleCare helped you work through to resolve this issue; there may be others experiencing a similar situation. We’re looking forward to hearing back from you! :-)

Best!

Oct 1, 2015 6:20 PM in response to JP Hansen

I'm experiencing the same problem and many more besides. I have the problems you described with Keychain First Aid and also, periodically the system seems to "forget" passwords for my email accounts, iCloud, Facebook etc. Rebooting always solves the problem, until it happens again. No amount of Keychain First Aid verify/repair attempts, keychain resetting, password changing seems to fix the issue permanently. A colleague at work is facing similar issues.

Just wondering: are you running your Mac in a managed environment using AD for passwords? I haven't seen widespread reports of Keychain corruption or account issues here or on other forums.

Let me know.

Oct 2, 2015 12:55 AM in response to dvd nick

I had a Screen sharing session yesterday with apple support.. And at first I couldn't reset my keychain.. But suddenly it reset anyway.. (Dont know if the support did something behind the scene). Then I logged back in to iCloud keychain, and so far everything is back to normal.. except I still can't enter password in Keychain First Aid??

I will get back if anything change..

Oct 2, 2015 8:58 PM in response to JP Hansen

Same problem for me in 10.11.0—the keychain keeps locking itself (I guess) and I can't use any of my Mail.app accounts as a result.

When I run Keychain First Aid, I get the blue message: "Keychain can't be unlocked automatically. Please attempt to unlock ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain from Keychain Access."

and other than that "no problems found." But I have yet to find a solution.

Oct 3, 2015 7:33 AM in response to JP Hansen

Also having this problem. Tried resetting to default keychain (did not work). Deleted the login keychains and restarted. like other posters on this issue I have way to enter my password in the keychain access application. Will not update my other computers to El Capitan until this issue is resolved by Apple. Can't use mail. Will post back if I find a workaround.

Oct 3, 2015 5:11 PM in response to JP Hansen

I never set a password for any of my keychains, so the dialog to enter the password for various keychains makes no sense whatsoever. I cannot get beyond this. Nothing suggested here helped at all on my MacBook Pro. Not only that, but the bizarre dialogs somehow got transferred to my iMac because keychains were set to be synced via iCloud. I was able to get rid of the bizarre dialogs on the iMac by disabling keychain sync on the MBP, but now I cannot even log into iCloud on the MBP to see whether reenabling keychain sync fixes the problem. I am concurrently restoring to Yosemite on the MBP because the MPB is completely hosed.

This is the worst upgrade experience I have ever had with anything from Apple. Absolutely the worst. All I can say is thank God that the El Capitan update installed okay on my wife's iMac or I'd really be suffering some grief right now. ;-)

And at this point, I see no way to reinstall El Capitan on my MBP without facing the exact same problems. As I mentioned, none of the suggestions here did anything. If anyone has seen a workaround elsewhere, please advise.

Oct 4, 2015 2:00 AM in response to scidoc666

Wow, I also have Junos Pulse installed for VPN. I wonder if that has anything to do with my weird keychain issues.

I was able to resolve my issues by unchecking and checking various options in Mail, and deleting old and now invalid accounts. I don't know what caused the problem and I was not really able to diagnose it, but now my Mail works again at least.

The keychain issue still shows up, but at least my keychain appears to work.

Oct 4, 2015 9:28 AM in response to JP Hansen

Having the exact same problem on my 2015 15" rMBP. Initially did an upgrade from Yosemite when the problem appeared. Figured my keychain got corrupted and bit the bullet and did a completely clean install (IE: no migration, no restore). Seemed OK for a bit then started up again. Almost constantly getting asked for all of my internet account passwords (had to disable the ones I could to shut it up).

Curiously, I also have JunOS Pulse. However, I didn't install it with the reinstall until long after the problem popped up again.

Glad I still have my old MacBook. 😁

Keychain Access - can't enter password in First aid.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.