Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan Synology

Hello there. Since updating to El Cap we can no longer connect to our synology network storage via AFP.

Two mac updated showing the same problem, another 10 on mavericks connecting as normal via both Wifi and Ethernet.

Hardware: DS1515+

Version: DSM 5.2-5592 Update 4

10-15 other users have posted to the synology forum with the same problem.

Everyone get's the following error;

There was a problem connecting to the server “XXXXX”.

The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again.

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 3:31 AM

41 replies

Oct 3, 2015 5:17 PM in response to skewstudio

Anything in your System Preferences Firewall settings that may be blocking the incoming connection?

I have a Synology DS110J running 5.2-5592 update 4. When I select the Finder's Shared sidebar entry for this Diskstation, it takes 10 seconds for the Finder window to connect, and present the SMB served files. This El Capitan mounting performance is at least 3x quicker than the replaced Mavericks. The client is a 2011 Mac mini with i5.

Oct 5, 2015 10:27 AM in response to skewstudio

In My Humble Experience: whenever you apply a system update, especially for a major release, always:

- clean caches, better with XYZ Cache Cleaner from Northern Softworks.

- rebuild permissions (the aforementioned sw can do it)

In this way 95 to 99% of the problem I do read about upgrades, will not appear. The same for my Synology NAS and plese note that I kept working flawlessly with it as from Public Beta 1 to 6 and then GM. Now I'm on Public Beta of 10.11.1 and still no problem. Nowhere.

Simon

Oct 20, 2015 11:54 AM in response to lulux75

Nope, I SMB sharing on my mac initially was switched off. So I could not switch it off again 🙂

Restarting Syno does not help also.

Sync suport recommends to move from AFP sharing to SMB, but it does not solve the problem, and totally ruins TimeMachine functionality.

After two weeks of experiments I found a semi-solution: I'm not sure which step helped, but I've switched off and on AFP sharing on Syno, restarted Mac and Syno, removed and recreated network interface on Mac and now I can see shares from Syno in Finder but TimeMachine still does not make backup automatically (only when I start backup manually)

El Capitan Synology

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.