Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photoshop elements 9crashes after El Capitan upgrade

i upgraded to El Captain and now my photoshop elements crashes I can only hope for a patch anybody else having problems the prog just shuts down and disappears from my screen

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 3:56 AM

18 replies

Oct 1, 2015 12:05 PM in response to foxcub 6

Elements 9 is 5 generations old. The current version is Elements 14. There have been so many changes since Elements 9 was released that there is no way it will run under El Capitan. There won't be a patch. The only way to fix this problem is by upgrading to the latest version. Aperture 3.5.1 (the latest and last version) was EOL under Yosemite. It also won't run under El Capitan and that is Apple's own problem. They won't be patching it either, and you can't even upgrade it.

Oct 4, 2015 12:26 PM in response to LittleBunnySunshine

There are lots of software incompatibilities I've noted with EC. I suggest you contact Adobe. You are aware that Elements 11 is 3 generations behind the current Elements 14. It would not surprise me to discover that Adobe won't support it under El Capitan.

Also, as a rule, you might get better help if you started your own thread, as the original poster asked about Elements 9. People running Elements 11 might not think to look for an Elements 11 post under an Elements 9 thread heading.

Best of luck to you.

mrf

Oct 4, 2015 1:13 PM in response to Marc Feldesman

Point taken but I believe the original poster might be interested that newer versions than his were having similar trouble. I was replying more out of artist solidarity than asking for specific help, and I HAVE asked/alerted Adobe. Am I ridiculous to be somewhat shocked and irked that I have to spend another hundred bucks two years after buying Elements 11 when it was working flawlessly for me yesterday?

Oct 4, 2015 1:28 PM in response to LittleBunnySunshine

Um. Those of us who use Photoshop have to pay ongoing monthly fees in perpetuity, so having to pay a hundred bucks (or less depending on where you shop) for an upgrade to a product released three years ago (despite your only purchasing it two years ago) is not particularly shocking to me. Adobe isn't for the little guys anymore. If you want a really inexpensive editor that does more than Elements, I'd recommend Affinity Photo ($49.95 from the MAS). It is a near Photoshop clone with a very nice UI.

Unfortunately, with Apple releasing new versions of OS X virtually every year, it is becoming less and less possible for software companies to support legacy apps for much longer than a couple of years. I have to upgrade my Windows version of Quicken every two years because Intuit EOLs their products after two years. So long as I want some of the features Quicken offers, I don't have a choice.

If you want to complain, take the complaints to Adobe, or downgrade back to Yosemite. Those seem to be your choices about now.

mrf

Oct 4, 2015 1:55 PM in response to Marc Feldesman

Well, I don't have to like it, busting out my credit card doesn't thrill me or the thought of moving my presets etc. but it seems like the only real option if I'd like to keep working. I will look at Affinity Photo before I buy PSE 14, I'm a painter....a paint on canvas painter but I need a good photo program to tweak things to my liking. I will check it out.

Oct 10, 2015 9:34 AM in response to Marc Feldesman

This "buy the upgrade" logic is quite disturbing. First, if I wanted to pay a monthly fee, I wouldn't have purchased Elements (or any app for that matter). If I pay for an app, I should be able to use the app, regardless of the operating system upgrade. If not, I should get a refund. And no, I'm not going to downgrade to a lesser Apple system. When it's hailed as "better" and "faster" and all the other glowing accolades Apple wants me to believe, I expect it to be just that....better, not worse. If I can no longer use apps I purchased through the App Store, why bother?

And I have contacted Adobe on multiple occasions, and they're saying it's an Apple issue. (Do you see the revolving door?) This is a textbook example of pitiful customer service. What next? "You have an older model iPhone; you'll have to buy an iPhone 6s/7/8/9 to text/call/etc."

I expected better from Apple. What was I thinking?

Oct 10, 2015 9:50 AM in response to foxcub 6

FWIW, I also have Photoshop Elements 9 & it continues to work for me with El Capitan. However, about 10-15 seconds after I quit it I get an application unexpectedly quit error for it. That has not affected the OS in any way I can find, nor has it resulted in any loss of functionality in the app while it is running.

Weird. 😕

Oct 10, 2015 9:55 AM in response to RATTPatrol

I don't get your logic. When you buy a piece of software, it states clearly what operating systems it runs on. You have only the right to expect that it will run on the operating systems for which it was certified. Software developers do not have the ability to see ahead to operating systems that haven't even been thought of at the time a single app is release. If the issue were with Elements 13, not Elements 11 or 9, then your argument might hold water, but both Yosemite and El Capitan involved a lot of internal changes to the plumbing of OS X, for which the adjustments for older software were non-trivial. If ever software company were required to support older versions of their software in perpetuity, which is what you are basically arguing for, how would they be able to add new features and release new software. Adobe's money comes primarily from the leasing of software to people like me. I get Photoshop and Lightroom together for pretty much the cost of any annual upgrade to Elements. I pay $120 annually for both pieces of software; I could purchase Lightroom outright for a $79 upgrade fee, but that still would leave me short on Photoshop. I have no idea whether Photoshop CS 6 still runs on El Capitan, since it has finally been EOL'd with the last upgrade for Photoshop CC 2015.

If you own Elements 11, and assuming that you didn't own any previous version, then you've gotten more than 4 years of use from the program for your $129. You've also saved the expense of $99 or $79 (prices vary) to upgrade to Elements 12 and Elements 13, and are grousing about paying $99 (current upgrade price) for Elements 14, which does work with El Capitan. As far as I can see, your "rental" cost for Elements has been about $2 per month of eligible use.

Having used OS X since before the conversion to Intel processors, I can't begin to count the number of times I've had to upgrade (for a fee) software to run a newer version of OS X. The switch from the 68000 to the Intel processors required a lot of upgrading over the years, especially when Apple ceased supporting any software that ran on the 68000. By your logic, I shouldn't have ever had to pay money to upgrade from M68000-optimized software to Intel optimized-software.

In my Windows days, and before that MS-DOS, operating systems were upgraded less frequently, but when they were, it invariably required an upgrade to a newer version for a small, or sometimes quite large, fee. That's life in the big city.

I can't run Toast Titanium 12 under El Capitan. I have to upgrade to version 14 (there was no version 13). That grates on me, but if I want the services that Toast provides, and I want to run El Capitan, I have no choice. I ran Yosemite Cache Cleaner, and before that Mavericks Cache Cleaner. When El Capitan came out, I had to upgrade to El Capitan Cache Cleaner. All of these were fee-based upgrades. It is simply the cost to me of doing business.

I respectfully disagree with your stance.

mrf

photoshop elements 9crashes after El Capitan upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.