Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

JPEG green in Preview.app on OS X 10.11

Hello everyone, that my first message here, i'm using a Mac almost 8 years and never has a problems that i can't solve by myself, but this time i tried everything and don't know what else to do.

I have a Mac Mini late 2014 (8Gb RAM, Intel HD 5100) with OS X 10.11, the problem is when i open JPEG photos(not every JPEG, more detailed i'll explain below) in a Preview.app the screen of Preview.app turns green like you can see in a screenshot below, some it times also crashes, i'll leave the crash report at end of a message

Does anyone have same Mac Mini with the OS X 10.11? i want to know if that is software bug or it's a hardware problem? any ideas what that can be?

User uploaded file

Here a list what i have tried

• I have installed twice clean OS X, that did not helped.
  • Checked with Apple Diagnostics and it nothing found.
  • Checked RAM with Memtest86 i did 3 passes that took almost 5 hours, no errors found.
  • If i "save as..." the JPEG that turns green in to PNG or TIFF then it opens normally, after saving it back to JPEG again it turns green...
  • As i said in beginning not every JPEG turns green, example any photos 15MP from my Canon 500D they all green, but photos from iPhone 4S they open normally, after that i tried to resize a photo from Canon 500D to 40%, after resize they shown normally, then i tried to resize iPhone photo to 300%, i expected that it will turn green after resize, but strange it still open normally, also a panorama photo from iPhone are green...
  • In a Safari.app every photo opens normally.
  • In a Safe Mode they also open normally.(maybe the problem is in rendering?)

Here if anyone want to try i compressed and uploaded 2 photos, one from Canon camera and one from iPhone(link)

Here is the the crash report of Preview.app (link)

Thank you

Alex.

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11), null

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 6:19 AM

69 replies

Oct 3, 2015 9:42 AM in response to a_triant

This is happening to me as well. It's not a hardware issue, I think - it's happening on my late model MacBook Pro. Seems to be El Capitan related.

It's happened to jpegs from both my Fuji X-T1 and my Canon 5D Mk III. A workaround is to open the image in Preview, let it turn to green, then go to Tools - Resize - and simply do nothing other than hit "ok."

That takes care of it. The same image will reopen in Preview with no colour problems.

However, it's just a temporary solution. Apple needs to correct the problem with some sort of update to El Capitan.

Oct 3, 2015 10:06 AM in response to Throwrock

Thanks for answers, good to hear that i'm not the one with this issue and now i can be sure that's not a hardware issue, maybe we somehow should report that to Apple to speedup the fix of that, for now only what i did is on the "crash report" on the comments field i pasted the link of this thread, hopefully they will read it.

I thought that may hardware because on previous Mac Mini i has some issues from faulty RAM memory that also shown some strange things on the screen, on the current Mac Mini i have rarely some horizontal lines appears and disappears immediately, the lines width it's size of 1 pixel and the color is inverted, i suspect that from HDMI>DVI cable.

Oct 10, 2015 5:43 AM in response to a_triant

There is more to this. I just do not know what it is.

I have two identical macbook pros. One has the "green screen photos in preview" problem and the other does not. So there has to be some other factor that combined with the os x update to cause this. I have checked all the preview settings and they are identical.

On the one that "goes green" changing the image scaling to "size on screen" allows photos to open, but zooming got green again. On the "good mac" the "1 to 1" setting works just fine.

Hopefully Apple will fix this soon.

JPEG green in Preview.app on OS X 10.11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.