Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost mail accounts after OS 10.11 upgrade

Just upgraded to El Capitan on my iMac. All went smoothly BUT when I now run Mail (9.0) all my accounts are missing and all I have is a dialog box asking me to set up new ones. This is catastrophic. How do I restore things apart from reinstalling Yosemite from backup?

Thanks.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 6:09 AM

68 replies

May 21, 2017 5:38 AM in response to WhitworthM

I'm reviving this discussion as I've run into problems again after a long-delayed upgrade from OS 10.11 to 10.12, long delayed because I was afraid it would screw up my emails again. It did.

The upgrade to 10.12.5 went smoothly but when I ran Mail for the first time I got an error message and an offer to reimport mailboxes and messages, which I clicked and which happened. Problem was that the imported messages only went up to late 2015. Nothing since.

I spent a fruitless 30 minutes on the phone to the Apple help service (very useful sometimes - long may it continue) at which point the line dropped. I don't think the service agent understood what was going on. From there I took things into my own hands and reimported all the mailboxes from a current (SuperDuper) backup - labourious, but I think all the messages were restored. Mail seems to be working fine now.

This is similar to the problems I had when I upgraded from 10.10 to 10.11 but Mail worked well after I'd sorted that, until yesterday's upgrade. I have to assume that the earlier upgrade introduced a problem in the structure of the Mail setup. After the earlier upgrade I found two folders within Library/Mail, V2 and V3, and I was never sure which was the currently active one. After yesterday's upgrade there were V2 and V4, V3 having disappeared. The mailboxes I reimported from backup and which had the up-to-date messages came from the pre-update V2 folder.

It would be nice to think that things will be all fine and dandy when it comes to another OS update but I am sure that that won't be the case. I would like to be able to find someone at Apple who can understand what has happened and if there is a proper fix but so far that's not been the case.

Oct 1, 2015 8:45 AM in response to WhitworthM

Same thing happened here. All the mailboxes are there but neither Mail.app or System Preferences->Internet Accounts has any record of the old mail accounts, etc.

Have managed to recreate the accounts so I can download new mail and currently going through the painful process of importing all the old mailboxes. Just be aware that this will rapidly use up any remaining disk space as it creates a new copy of any old mails.

Oct 1, 2015 12:00 PM in response to WhitworthM

FWIW, I didn't lose any accounts as much as it duplicated yahoo accounts (paid, not free) with icon of Yahoo mail next to them. I was able to delete these but was careful as there were duplicates. Only way I realized this was that the original email accounts were logged in. The Yahoo duplicates, once selected, would ask for credentials.

Did you have backup?

Did you find original V2 mailboxes and import?

Lost mail accounts after OS 10.11 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.