Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Handoff and AirDrop not working in El Capitan

After upgrading to OS X 10.11 El Capitan, my Handoff and AirDrop stopped working between iOS 9.0.2 on iPhone 5S and my MacBook Pro Late 13. I've tried logging out of iCloud account on both devices numerous times, it didn't help.

For my friend with MacBook Air and iPhone 5S with same iOS version it works flawlessly.

Did anyone encounter similar issue, and if so, how did you solve it?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 9.0.2, plus iPhone 5S with iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 6:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 10:56 AM

Hey there AlexWoodblock,

I understand that you are seeing some issues with AirDrop and some Continuity features like Handoff as well. I have a couple of suggestions for troubleshooting these issues, the first of which can be found here:

Tips for sending items

If you don't see the recipient in the AirDrop window or sheet:

• Make sure that both devices have AirDrop turned on and are within 30 feet (9 meters) of each other.
  • If you're sending to an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
    • Your Mac needs to be a 2012 or newer model with OS X Yosemite or later.
    • The iOS device must have Personal Hotspot turned off in Settings > Cellular.
  • If you're sending to a Mac:
    • If the receiving Mac is using OS X Mavericks, Mountain Lion, or Lion, it needs to have an AirDrop window open: choose Go > AirDrop from the menu bar in the Finder.
    • If the receiving Mac is a 2012 or older model, click “Don't see who you're looking for?” in the AirDrop window or sharing sheet of the sending Mac. Then click “Search for an Older Mac.”
    • Find out if the Mac has “Block all incoming connections” turned on in Security & Privacy preferences. A Mac won't receive items using AirDrop if this setting is turned on.
  • If AirDrop on the receiving device is set up to receive items from contacts only, make sure that both devices are signed in to iCloud. Also make sure that the email address or phone number assocated with your Apple ID is in the Contacts app of the receiving device.

Use AirDrop to send content from your Mac - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203106

Next, use these steps to troubleshoot your Continuity features:

Get help using Continuity with your iOS device or your Mac - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204678

Take care, and thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities.

316 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2015 10:56 AM in response to AlexWoodblock

Hey there AlexWoodblock,

I understand that you are seeing some issues with AirDrop and some Continuity features like Handoff as well. I have a couple of suggestions for troubleshooting these issues, the first of which can be found here:

Tips for sending items

If you don't see the recipient in the AirDrop window or sheet:

• Make sure that both devices have AirDrop turned on and are within 30 feet (9 meters) of each other.
  • If you're sending to an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
    • Your Mac needs to be a 2012 or newer model with OS X Yosemite or later.
    • The iOS device must have Personal Hotspot turned off in Settings > Cellular.
  • If you're sending to a Mac:
    • If the receiving Mac is using OS X Mavericks, Mountain Lion, or Lion, it needs to have an AirDrop window open: choose Go > AirDrop from the menu bar in the Finder.
    • If the receiving Mac is a 2012 or older model, click “Don't see who you're looking for?” in the AirDrop window or sharing sheet of the sending Mac. Then click “Search for an Older Mac.”
    • Find out if the Mac has “Block all incoming connections” turned on in Security & Privacy preferences. A Mac won't receive items using AirDrop if this setting is turned on.
  • If AirDrop on the receiving device is set up to receive items from contacts only, make sure that both devices are signed in to iCloud. Also make sure that the email address or phone number assocated with your Apple ID is in the Contacts app of the receiving device.

Use AirDrop to send content from your Mac - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203106

Next, use these steps to troubleshoot your Continuity features:

Get help using Continuity with your iOS device or your Mac - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204678

Take care, and thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities.

Oct 1, 2015 12:07 PM in response to AlexWoodblock

I'm having the same problem. Continuity works on the iPhone and iPad, but doesn't on the Mac with El Capitan, meaning I can see on my iPhone when I have Safari tabs open on the Mac, but not the other way around. The Hotspot option in the WiFi menu is also gone on the Macbook, but it works from iPad to iPhone, so my guess is that it is related to El Cap.

Everything is on the same network.

Tried the following on the Mac, but it didn't help:

• Restarting
  • Disabling and enabling WiFi
  • Disabling and enabling Bluetooth
  • Disabling the firewall
  • Logging in and out of iCloud

Specs:

• iPhone 6+, iOS 9.0.2
  • iPad Air, iOS 9.0.2
  • late 2013 rMBP 13", OS X 10.11

Oct 4, 2015 7:55 AM in response to DSalpeter

Update:

-I am able to use airdrop, no issues, and handoff works sometimes.

-To try to get to the bottom of the FaceTime calling issue, I logged in w my wife's account and tried to use FaceTime iPhone calling w her iPhone and iCloud account. That worked fine; it showed the "iPhone Cellular Calling" toggle on FaceTime, and I was able to make calls using the mac.

-I also tried using my phone and iPad to see if the iPad could make cellular calls using my iCloud account, and that worked fine too.

-Lastly, I reset my router and tried signing out and in from my iCloud account on my mac... that did not work. So my conclusion is there is something specific to my particular mac account's configuration that is preventing the "iPhone Cellular Calling" toggle from working. I suppose I could delete my user account and create a new one and that would probably work, but then I'd have to download all my data again and reinstall my software, which is obviously less than ideal!

Any help appreciated!

Oct 4, 2015 9:28 AM in response to DSalpeter

Another update. I created a new user account and linked it to my iCloud account. With that, I got the checkbox in FaceTime for "iPhone Cellular Calls" and was able to do those calls. So something is screwed up w my user account. It was restored via time machine not to long ago so it is possible that something got screwed up then. Could I potentially delete the user account but keep my data, recreate my user account, and see if that fixes it? I just want to avoid having to reinstall apps and redownload all my iCloud data (144GB worth of photos).

Oct 4, 2015 9:47 AM in response to DSalpeter

With all due respect:
DSalpeter, to me this now seems a individual case for Apple Support.

The issue of this thread is Handoff and Airdrop features not working anymore between OS X and iOS after updating to El Capitan (actually, they stopped working in my case after upgrading to iOS 9; I thought it would get repaired with the launch of El Capitan, but it didn't...).

Anything new from Apple on this broader issue? Hope the fix arrives soon!

Oct 4, 2015 10:06 AM in response to braden85

Hi, I've already tried these steps and they didn't work. Right now I was able to pinpoint the problem, but I can't fix it. The problem is the following:

When I try to send file via AirDrop, the following message from "sharingd" daemon pops up in Console.app twice:

SDBonjourBrowser::failedToStartAdvertisingWithError
Error Domain=NSMachErrorDomain Code=8 "(os/kern) no access"
UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=wirelessproxd can't start advertising at this time.}

I've already filed bugreport to Apple, but maybe this discussion will also be seen by Apple employees and necessary measures will be taken.

Oct 4, 2015 4:07 PM in response to HaraldS

I bit the bullet and reset iCloud on all devices. Logged out everywhere (4 Macs, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 2 Apple TVs, 4 Airports) and then shut down. I then started up the AirPort TimeCapsule followed by the Mac Pro after SMC reset and a symbolic triple NVRAM salute. Then followed with all the other devices.

A solid two hours of PITA activities with no results except that now it will take 2-3 days for email and Photos albums to be back in sync adding a healthy dose to my network CAP.

Don't go there, it does not help.

Handoff and AirDrop not working in El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.