Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan: Cannot Connect to the App Store

I can easily browse the internet on my home macbook with only a few security problems in browsers after El Capitan was installed yesterday, etc... but the App Store is completely broken, message "Cannot Connect to the App Store".

I have considered lowering my security to try and circumvent.

Does anyone know how to repair the App Store?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11), null

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 4:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 4:46 PM

Hi there,

Same problem here. I think it could be a ssh problem.

Funnily enough, the OS X El Capitan demo page gave me a security warning.

iMac 27 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32 GbUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

32 replies

Oct 2, 2015 12:18 PM in response to jtparten

I have the same issue on and early 2009 iMac.

I found it to be an issue with 3 - SSL Login Certificates from VeriSign. That say, "This certificate was signed by an unknown authority".

I tried editing the keychain as this article explains (Keychain section).

OS X: "Cannot connect" or "Cannot connect to the App Store. An internet connection is required" - Apple Support

But unfortunately it didn't work.

My "patch" was to change the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) to - "Always Trust" - thus creating a Custom Setting.

This gets the various App Stores back online. But I wanted it fixed.

So I once again downloaded 10.11 and re-installed (like the article indicated).

Unfortunately, nothing changed. The certificates look just the same as after I modified their permissions. Changing the permissions back just resulted in the original error message.

But at least it now works. Hopefully Apple will fix this in the first El Capitan update.

Oct 2, 2015 12:58 PM in response to KK4BCX

After more research I found a fix.

ONLY do this with the login certificates.

I exported those 3 VeriSign LOGIN certificates (just to be safe).

Then I deleted them and rebooted.

The App Store, iBooks, and iTunes Stores all work fine now.

If you want an extra measure of safety, you could use my fix from the other post and then download El Capitan. That way you'll already have if you need to re-install. But that's unlikely as long as you only delete the "login" certificates.

Oct 3, 2015 2:48 PM in response to KK4BCX

Same here. Details: after upgrading Yosemite to El Capitan, the first boot popped a request for me to log in with my AppleID; I tried, but it failed to connect. After a few tries I went ahead (despite warnings about possible problems with App Store, iTunes etc.) without logging in. Since then (even after a reboot clearing NVRAM) I have been unable to use WiFi (fortunately my Ethernet eventually connected fine) and Safari cannot connect to anything (although Seamonkey and thunderbird and SSH work fine!) and the App Store is unreachable as well. I have the firewall turned off, to no effect.

I suspect that it was a mistake to proceed without the AppleID login on that first reboot; but what choice did I have? It wouldn't connect to log me in!

So now what?

Oct 3, 2015 3:56 PM in response to jtparten

I had this problem on a Late 2008 I put a mew SSD in and worked up from a Snow Leopard disk to El Capitan. The installation took wi-fi information from me but appears to have lost it later. Running network troubleshooting, I reselected my router and provided the pass phrase and all was well after that. The App store seems to indicate a credentials problem but it was really just an internet access problem.

Oct 5, 2015 7:59 AM in response to KK4BCX

This worked out for me too.

1. Opened KeyChain Access app from the Launcher
  2. Selected "Certificates" in the left panel
  3. Sorted by name so all the Verisign ones were grouped
  4. Deleted the ones with "login" in the final column and "Verisign" in the name
  5. Quit KeyChain Access
  6. Restarted the Mac

This fixed an inability to connect to the App Store, an inability to connect to the iTunes store (multiple servers), and inability to connect to some SSL (https address) websites depending on the browser (especially in Safari). Plus email browsing in Apple Mail now shows inline images (which were likely to have been https references and so prey to the same problem as in Safari).

Thanks, KK4BCX.

Oct 16, 2015 3:13 AM in response to jtparten

Another simple quick and dirty way to check for and install new system updates is to open the Terminal app in the Utilities folder and enter the following command after the roo# cursor

softwareupdate -iva

(nb you will need to define yourself as root user to do this - see instructions here: http://osxdaily.com/2015/02/19/enable-disable-root-command-line-mac/ )

Oct 23, 2015 7:51 PM in response to sgmcgee

If you switch to a PC, you will really find out what pain is, starting with a subscription system that will nick you for Apps that were included in previous versions. There are millions of Mac users that update without problem, even on machines 6 or 7 years ago. Try updating s 6 year old PC with a current Windows version. Without the manufacturer making sure all the drivers work, which they won't because they have had dozens of new machines since that, it is a rocky road. Especially fun when a trojan virus has usurped your machine and is preventing anything from being updated.

Apple does an amazing job considering. Could they employ more people to solve the problems that are caused by individual configurations? Sure, but the line has to be drawn somewhere.

1. Determine if your machine works correctly on a different network. If not, look for routers plugged into routers and such on your network. Routers and advanced switches cache information that has changed.

2. Remove and recreate access accounts.

3. Re-construct the keychains.

If none of that works, restore your backup and try the installation again.

good luck

Nov 21, 2015 11:53 AM in response to jt_from_ktown

Try DitchVictim's advice. Worked for me! I went to my keychain, exported the 3 certificates I found there (just to be safe. I selected all three, right clicked and picked export. It saved in my documents as certificate) and then deleted them. I restarted my mac and went to app store. The page initially had some figures and said 'can't be found', but about 30 seconds later, it disappeared and my app store page was restored!

Hope it works for you.

Nov 22, 2015 2:17 PM in response to jtparten

Hi.

I have the same problem. First I've done is called the service in Russia, we've checked all the certificates but the problem have't been solved.

Then I installed the iOS El Capitan again after total erasure. The problem still exist.

I checked the certificates after the DitchVictim's advice. There are 7 certificates with the name VeriSign (the license to 2036).

I've tried to delete them all but failed. Now I see 7 windows with the error message: UNIX [Operation is not permitted]

Any ideas?

El Capitan: Cannot Connect to the App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.