Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 2 and iOS 9

I currently am using an iPad 2 (purchased 2011) and iOS 8.4. I should have stayed with iOS 7, but my iPad is useable with iOS 8, with some quirks. I installed iOS 9 on my iPhone 5c and have had no problems yet. I am hesitant to install iOS 9 on my iPad 2, since it is at the bottom of the list of older iPads that iOS 9 is supposed to be compatible with. I/ve just gotten used to dealing with iOS 8 glitches, and I don't want to find out that iOS 9 is going to cause major problems, since I couldn't go back to iOS 8 after installatinon. Does anyone have a similar situation and/or has anyone installed iOS 9 on an older iPad 2. If someone has installed iOS 9 on iPad 2, have there been any problems. I know that iOS 9 improved the performance of my iPhone 5c versus how well my phone was working with iOS 8. But your're talking apples and oranges trying to compare an iPhone 5c/iOS 9 performance versus an old iPad 2/iOS 9 performance. Just saying....

iPad 2, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 8:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 3:42 PM

I also have the iPad 2 and am now running iOS 9.0.1. I'm currently in here trying to find out how to downgrade back to iOS 7 or 8. I thought 8 was bad, but my iPad is almost useless now for anything other than reading and maybe Facebook and email, but even those are so slow it's pitiful. Internet surfing is impossible. There is an awful lag in typing in the search bar or anywhere else, and it crashes constantly. From what I've read, Apple doesn't want us to be able to go back to a lower iOS. We are just supposed to run to the store and buy a new, current device. Bah...

In short, if I were you, I would NOT update iOS ever again. Good luck!

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2015 3:42 PM in response to labyrinth51

I also have the iPad 2 and am now running iOS 9.0.1. I'm currently in here trying to find out how to downgrade back to iOS 7 or 8. I thought 8 was bad, but my iPad is almost useless now for anything other than reading and maybe Facebook and email, but even those are so slow it's pitiful. Internet surfing is impossible. There is an awful lag in typing in the search bar or anywhere else, and it crashes constantly. From what I've read, Apple doesn't want us to be able to go back to a lower iOS. We are just supposed to run to the store and buy a new, current device. Bah...

In short, if I were you, I would NOT update iOS ever again. Good luck!

Oct 2, 2015 3:38 PM in response to labyrinth51

I have upgraded my own iPad 3, my Wife's iPad 2 and my new iPod Touch, all with, at least 6-8 Gbs of available storage space, and every device had a successful upgrade to iOS 9 with no issues.

Ideally, your iDevice should maintain a minimum free storage amount of 4- 6 GBs or greater on any iDevice, plus, more than 50% battery status to ensure proper operation, as well as, to ensure the possibility of a successful iOS upgrade/update installation.

In addition it is best to upgrade an iDevice connected up to computer running iTunes with you iDevice sync'd and backed up through iTunes rather than Over The Air (OTA) using a wireless WiFi connection.

Oct 2, 2015 3:52 PM in response to LesnKC

I'm glad that you provided feedback on use of iOS 9 on iPad 2. The only other reponse I got was that an installation went fine, but no feedback on use of iOS 9 on iPad 2. What happened with you is exactly what I want to avoid. I don't plan to upgrade to iOS 9 on my iPad 2. iOS 9 is running fine on my iPhone 5c with improved performance, and I'm just going to leave well enough alone. The only real problem I have had with iOS 8 is jerky scrolling sometimes, and sometimes apps quitting unexpectedly (which wasn't a problem in iOS 7. I'm sorry that you have had so many problems with iOS 9 on your iPad 2. You're right about Apple's plan to prohibit downgrading to a previous OS....they do want you to go out and buy a newer device to run the iOS 9....I believe that in the automotive industry they used to call this "planned obsolescence".

Oct 2, 2015 4:18 PM in response to LesnKC

My ipad 2 and ios 9.0.2 don't get along either. My ipad slowed to a crawl on the web and programs kept closing to reload but I found a solution. Go to Safari>advanced>javascript and turn off javascript. With that done on my ipad 2 it runs at warp speed while browsing on the web. You lose a few things if you do this. For some reason I could no long access gmail by going to their website. I had to download the ipad application for that to happen. I also lost the charting feature at Fidelities website and I am sure there are other things that don't work anymore but........for what I use my ipad for I am now a happy camper.

Oct 2, 2015 8:32 PM in response to labyrinth51

Well, I have an Ipad 2 with IOS 9.02 and I my ipad is useless now, I can't connect to wi-fi.

Don't to update IOS 9.0 any old Ipad 2.

Initially the upgrade was a nightmare, then when I finally can install the IOS 9.0.2 the Ipad work fine, one or two days, Now the ipad still not working, I can't connect to a wi-fi,

I hope Apple release soon a new update or patch to ipad2 users with IOS 9.02 or definitely downgrade the ipad 2 to a previous IOS.

Any suggestions ?

Regards

Oct 2, 2015 8:52 PM in response to Yörch

From the responses I have received from my post, everyone who has upgraded an iPad 2 to iOS 9 are having terrible problems similar to yours. I posted my question to get an idea of experiences from others who have upgraded their iPad 2 to iOS 9. As a result, I am definitely not going to upgrade to iOS 9 on my iPad 2. I will just stay with iOS 8.4.1 with its minor glitches. From what I understand, Apple won't allow downgrades to a previous iOS once the current iOS is installed - part of their plan to have people go out and buy new iPads (I think they call it "planned obsolescence"). They are going to have to develop a major patch for iPad 2 users, because these problems are serious. I'm sorry that you had to exprience these problems with your device. Not being able to connect to WiFi is a major problem.

Oct 2, 2015 10:39 PM in response to labyrinth51

labyrinth51 wrote:

From the responses I have received from my post, everyone who has upgraded an iPad 2 to iOS 9 are having terrible problems similar to yours. I posted my question to get an idea of experiences from others who have upgraded their iPad 2 to iOS 9. As a result, I am definitely not going to upgrade to iOS 9 on my iPad 2. I will just stay with iOS 8.4.1 with its minor glitches. From what I understand, Apple won't allow downgrades to a previous iOS once the current iOS is installed - part of their plan to have people go out and buy new iPads (I think they call it "planned obsolescence"). They are going to have to develop a major patch for iPad 2 users, because these problems are serious. I'm sorry that you had to exprience these problems with your device. Not being able to connect to WiFi is a major problem.

Really???...

There are thousands of users (or more) using older iPads and, probably, iPad 2s, as well.

The amount of users reporting into these forums with iOS issues with their iDevices represents a very, VERY small minority.

There are tens of millions (or more) of iDevice users who aren't having issues with their devices and who don't post in user troubleshooting forums, like those provided by Apple.

As I stated, I upgraded my wife's iPad 2 twice with no issues and her iPad is runnng fine on the latest iOS 9.0.2.

Just because the small minority of users having issues, that post here, doesn't mean that Apple is at fault or that Apple is forcing users of older hardware to upgrade to newer hardware or Apple is "out to get your money" for a new device!

It just means that some older hardware has had some arbitrary issue that has caused problems with upgrading to new versions of iOS.

OR there was some unforeseen iOS bug or software glitch or anomaly that has affected a small minority of users devices.

This has always been a common issue across all major iOS AND OS X upgrades/updates.

It a pervasive issue when dealing with OS upgrades/updates with so many users with so many different configurations.

WIth an ever growing iDevice user base, there will be users that will, invariably and inevitably, run into problems.

Yes, it is a small consolation for those who have iDevices that either aren't working properly or not at all, but the issues ARE NOT RAMPANT across the entire user base of iOS devices!

Apple can't test for every device configuration contingency.

Everyone uses these devices differently and have different apps and data on them and older devices cannot use some features of a new iOS upgrade due to older hardware limitations.

There are just too many variables that are out of Apple's control and can't be tested or accounted for.

For those iDevice users who have devices that are, basically, non-functional or dead, my recommendation is to bring your iDevice into an Apple Store and see if they can diagnose the issues and perform the upgrade in the store for you.

If you have never backed up the data that is on your iDevice, be prepared for Apple to do a restore as new device and try to install the iOS 9 upgrade on an empty iDevice.

Good Luck to everyone and I hope all of you can get your iPads/iPhones/iPod Touches working well again!

Oct 6, 2015 8:59 AM in response to MichelPM

Indeed there are but a few, in the grand scheme of things, who have chimed in on the forum about their old iPads. However, if you read about the issues at trusted geek sites on the web, you'll find that iPad 2 is not expected to be able to handle Apple updates forever, or even much longer. As with any older computer devices, they are essentially being phased out. They are soon to be as the dinosaurs - extinct.

Labyrinth51, I restored my iPad 2 but it did nothing to help. It automatically updates the iOS to the most current one. I can perform minor tasks, but nothing heavy and really no multi-tasking. It freezes often, no matter what I'm doing. I am witnessing a slow death of my iPad 2.

Oct 6, 2015 3:44 PM in response to LesnKC

Thank you for your feedback, it was very helpful. I know what you are saying, and I have received the same feedback (except one who was too forviging of Apple) from most replies re: iPad 2 and iOS 9. Luckily I don't have my iPad 2 set to automatically upgrade to the most current iOS, and I don't intend to install iOS 9. I have used Apple products since they were introduced to the market in 1984, and it has been more or less the same thing - sooner or later computers and devices get phased and become extinct, which has much to do with keeping up with new technology in general. I don't expect Apple to support their computers and devices forever, but it seems a bit accelerated for iPads, expecially since my iPad 2 is only four years old. If people are having experiences similar to yours, then Apple shouldn't have included iPad 2 on the compatibility list for iOS 9. It's like releasing a new drug on the market without having clinical trial testing for side effects. 😮 I should have stayed with iOS 7, which I consider the optimum iOS of iPad 2. I use iOS 8.4.1 which only has some minor prolems (such as jerky scrolling and screen transition displays). iOS 8.4.1 has been pretty stable on my iPad, and I can live with it, until I become suddenly wealthy and am able to buy a new iPad. By the way, iOS 9 works fine on my iPhone 5c, so my phone is safe for the time being.

Oct 8, 2015 3:39 PM in response to MichelPM

You give a very positive response to the issues that are out there! Whose side are you on? Do you know that one written response is probably equal to a thousand or more others who have the same problem and are either to lazy or just do not know how to complain.

Why can we not downgrade to a level that worked well before? Surely if I upgrade and find after a week or two that I am unhappy I should be able to downgrade to whatever whatever level I want.
I have an iPad 2 and upgraded to iOS 9, and then to 9.0.1 hoping that it would fix the problems that occurred. I cannot downgrade having tried a number of times.
I have the iOS 8.4 IPSW file on my computer, why will it not work? It was supposed to work. Why does there have to be a limitation. I believe it is my right to have it. I have been misled by Apple.

I am a pensioner and cannot afford to buy another new iPad, especially having been given information saying that it would work with my iPad 2. My iPad is now slow, it hangs and periodically Safari or Chrome will suddenly have a black screen and close down.
I am becoming progressively unhappy with Apple's attitude. They are treating their customers with arrogance.

Oct 8, 2015 10:51 PM in response to labyrinth51

I am glad i am not crazy because I thought maybe i was the only one with this problem. my ipad is crashing and freezing all the time. i wish i could uninstall the ios 9 as my pad is useless to me. i really think apple should have let us know that our systems of this age would be better left alone. I was not having any problems prior to downloading to ios 9 and it does frustrate me.

iPad 2 and iOS 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.