Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

EDIMAX wifi extender stopped working with El Capitan

Hello,

after I installed El Capitan, my EDIMAX wi-fi adpter stopped working and the utility software would not run. Its the adapter that enables my Macbook Pro to use AC Wi-Fi.

http://www.edimax.com/edimax/merchandise/merchandise_detail/data/edimax/global/w ireless_adapters_ac450/ew-7711mac/

I am using Macbook Pro (Retina, early 2013). Everything worked fine with Yosemite.

The little light on the adapter is not on and the utility app is impossible to run. Nothing is happening.

Can anybody help me with that?

Thanks a lot.

Jan

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 5:18 AM

70 replies

Jan 19, 2017 1:59 PM in response to bloomk

Second bloomk's question: "Anyone know how to uninstall the edimax software?"

Coming from "PC world," I find application management on my Mac anything but intuitive: I've a wifi icon on my toolbar that only says, "No Wireless NIC Plug In" when clicked. When I open and run the contents of the "Uninstall.pkg" that I think I used to originally install the Edimax "Wireless Network Utility," it walks me through a process to install a software package whose name the utility doesn't even specify -- and the icon remains in my toolbar! Heh?

Oct 4, 2015 4:42 AM in response to janfrombrooklyn

Hi,

I have the same problem and this wi-fi adapter is the only way I can connect with the internet as my original wifi card failed. Reinstalling the driver didn't help either so I had to restore back to Yosemite. I contacted Edimax and they told me that they don't know yet when they will release the utility app supporting El Captain.

Thanks

Marcin

Oct 12, 2015 5:53 PM in response to janfrombrooklyn

Hi Jan,

I was able to get my Edimax USB device (EW-7811Un) working by extracting the contents of installer.pkg for the 10.10/10.9 driver. I used apps pacifist and kextbeast to extract and install the kext file. after reboot, run the util app and verify new device in system preferences. also one could potentially test by running sudo kextload NAMEOF.kext and then running the util app, but I've not verified if this works, reboot may be required. hope this helps for your model of Edimax dongle.

++LB

Oct 14, 2015 7:22 AM in response to bloomk

you mean geek. sorry, let me dumb down

if you're interested in actually using your wireless stick, try the following steps:

1) download the driver for your Wifi stick at http://www.edimax.us/html/english/frames/b-download.htm

2) download pacifist from https://www.charlessoft.com/cgi-bin/pacifist_download.cgi?type=dmg

3) open the installer.pkg file from the driver you downloaded in pacifist, and select to install to default location, and use administrator privilege

4) reboot

5) optional: open system preferences, click network preference pane, and verify that there is a new device in the list(the Wifi stick)

6) find the utility in Applications folder and run it(if it did not run automatically after reboot)

if you'd like to remove the software, follow step 1 and then you should be able to simply run the uninstall.pkg.

if you're unable to run it, follow step 1-3 but instead of installing to default location, take note of the files and use finder to delete them from the same folders on your disk that are listed in pacifist

hope this helps.

Nov 6, 2015 10:51 PM in response to DJ-LB

I concur you are a genius, I now have my Edimax AC1200 Wireless Dual-Band USB Adapter EW-7822UAC working on El Capitan 10.11.1

Had to use the 2 pieces of software you were talking about and extract RtWlanU.kext from the package as well though, also manually extracted the wireless network utility.

Anyway, now working with my AC router.

User uploaded file

EDIMAX wifi extender stopped working with El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.