Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re: ipad cannot be used because it requires a newer version of itunes

I cannot go to the version you mentioned. I told iTunes to check for a newer version:

User uploaded file

Here's my iMac's info:

User uploaded file

Any suggestions? I'm out of work so getting a newer OS for my iMac isn't in the cards.

<Post Branched by Host>

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 9:52 AM

8 replies

Oct 3, 2015 12:14 PM in response to Raicya

Thank you for moving this to the Mac side of things. I went where a Google search sent me and had no idea that there would be a Mac thread separate from a Windows thread.

Since 11.4 is the most up to date version of iTunes for OS 10.8.6 and I'm already there, I must wonder, then, why I am getting the error message and what can be done to get my computer to quit complaining about something that is up to date.

Oct 3, 2015 12:24 PM in response to Ultramusicman

Read my post and just about every 10th topic similar to yours currently on the forum. Basically you probably upgraded your iPad's iOS to iOS9. Your computer is up to date as far as the highest iTunes version OSX 10.6.8 will run, but that is not far enough. It requires upgrading your computer's operating system (if that is even possible) to 10.8 or higher to run iTunes 12.3. But I really encourage you to click on the link I provided earlier.

Oct 4, 2015 12:08 PM in response to Limnos

"Your computer is up to date as far as the highest iTunes version OSX 10.6.8 will run, but that is not far enough. It requires upgrading your computer's operating system (if that is even possible) to 10.8 or higher to run iTunes 12.3."

*That* is the piece of information that has not, until now, been spelled out explicitly. Until now, I merely suspected that this would be the case, having pieced it together from multiple sources. Now, thanks to you, I know for sure without question or ambiguity.

My iMac came with Leopard. I updated to Snow Leopard only when I had to in order to run some software that is essential to what I do. That was when I had income. Although getting long in the tooth, I'm sure that my iMac can be upgraded to an even newer OS. How far it can or should go is a topic for me to discuss at the Genius Bar, I suppose. With no job, however, updating is not in the game plan for now.

I went to the link you recommended. That page is to download iTunes 11.4 for OS X 10.6. I already have had iTunes 11.4 for quite some time now. To me, it doesn't seem worth while to download and install what I already have, especially when it won't fix my issue. So I am screwed out of being able to back up my iPad onto my computer. Yes, I can use the Cloud but I've never liked the idea of my data being somewhere hackable or sharable with the NSA. And I'm not even a conspiracy theorist! ;-) Also, I cannot copy music files from my computer to the pad until this issue is resolved. As the host of three radio shows on two FM stations (only volunteer, unfortunately) and as a musician needing a music player in order to rehearse (also a non-paying situation), this does eventually need to be resolved.

Thank you for all the help.

Know any electronic engineering firms in the Allentown, PA area who are hiring?

Oct 5, 2015 5:20 AM in response to Ultramusicman

As it turns out, El Capitan is a free update for OSes as early as Snow Leopard. I have applied it and it included the latest rev of iTunes: 12.2.2.25

So I guess that all will work well when I plug in my iPad. (I'll report here if anything goes wrong.)

Meanwhile, the scrolling gesture on my bluetooth Apple mouse no longer works. I've looked through Preferences and there doesn't seem to be a box to check in order to enable this gesture. I will now go hunting for a solution.

Cheers,

Bill

Oct 5, 2015 5:53 AM in response to Ultramusicman

If you cannot or do not want to spend money on technology you will have to spend part of your free/not-working time learning how to maintain and use older items. What to do and what not to do, such as never update until you have had time to review the forums here and other Mac support resources on the effect of an update. I am in a not dissimilar situation and I have learned to keep my 13 year old computer going and my 35 year old car. 🙂

Oct 5, 2015 6:10 AM in response to Limnos

As it turns out, El Capitan is a free update from Snow Leopard (and newer). So I did that and the scrolling gesture on my bluetooth mouse stopped working. I read how one poor soul had the same problem after installing Mavericks. In order to solve this problem, he reloaded the new OS. Before taking such an extreme action that wastes lots of time, I continued snooping around. I noticed that bluetooth, was telling me that neither my keyboard nor mouse were connected. But both were performing basic functions! <fn><delete> on the keyoard as well as the swiping gestures on the mouse were not working, however. I decided to take a more conservative approach and shut down the compter to see if a fresh power up would set things to right. It did and all is well as far as I can tell. Swiping was backwards from what I was using before but a quick trip to System Preferences sorted that out in a jiffy. It turns out that what Apple thinks is normal is opposite to my way of thinking. Not a surprise since I often march to my own drummer!

Re: ipad cannot be used because it requires a newer version of itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.