Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I keep getting a purple debugging window around Photos

I keep getting a purple window around my Photos app on El Capitan.

Anyone else getting this or know how to turn it off?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 12:52 PM

43 replies

Oct 4, 2015 11:40 PM in response to David A. Nimmer

David A. Nimmer wrote:

I just got the same thing after importing photos from my wife iPhone.

The ? seemed to suggest some terminal commands to perform, but I was not sure about doing that.

The Terminal command will change the defaults for the<<domain>> to suppress the logging of this debug message. replace <<com.apple.Photos>> by com.apple.Photos

I entered

defaults delete com.apple.Photos NSConstraintBasedLayoutVisualizeMutuallyExclusiveConstraints

in the Terminal and then restarted the Finder by using Force Quit from the  menu. You could also simply restart the Mac after entering the Terminal command.

After that the purple debug background and the strange pattern on the video thumbnail did not longer appear when I opened a Cinemagraph Pro video

Oct 11, 2015 1:03 PM in response to léonie

Do we need to be in a specific directory for this command to work? I tried it at my home directory and then in ~/Library/Preferences where the other com.apple files are but in both places I get the response

Domain (com.apple.Photos) not found.

Defaults have not been changed.

Got this sporadically earlier but now I'm tapping a video and getting the purple debug mode every time I go to the video.

Oct 14, 2015 1:28 PM in response to marysplacestudio

For me, it's not that I need to know how to fix it, more that Apple shouldn't have released El Capitan with all these glitches and not admit to it and be trying to fix all the problems. The Photos app has many problems. The most annoying for meat the moment, more so than the purple, is when zooming into a photo and it remains pixelated. This happens a lot, though I've had no response from a week ago when I posted about the problem. Anyone else notice this?

Oct 14, 2015 1:31 PM in response to Andywhistle

Andywhistle wrote:

For me, it's not that I need to know how to fix it, more that Apple shouldn't have released El Capitan with all these glitches and not admit to it and be trying to fix all the problems. The Photos app has many problems. The most annoying for meat the moment, more so than the purple, is when zooming into a photo and it remains pixelated. This happens a lot, though I've had no response from a week ago when I posted about the problem. Anyone else notice this?

I haven't seen this. But my (and many other people's) email stopped working. I've had to go to another mail app instead of Apple's Mail.

Crazy.

I keep getting a purple debugging window around Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.