Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WD MyCloud NAS drive not accessible in El Capitan

My Western Digital MyCloud NAS drive (connected to my wifi router) is not accessible via the Finder in El Capitan.

It was working fine in Yosemite.

Now I have to manually connect to the drive (Command + K and provide NAS server URL). Even that is not working properly. At first the afp protocol was working. Now its not. Stopped working when I initiated Time Machine backup over that connection.

SMB and CIFS protocols are working but provide READ ONLY access.

Please fix this asap. Something in El Capitan has broken the mechanism.

I read in forums that El Capitan beta was working fine with WD MyCloud. Only the final release seems to have messed up the connectivity.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 6:56 AM

20 replies

Nov 26, 2017 4:45 AM in response to stoufeeq

hey folks,

I know this post is a bit old and you are all trying to recover from black friday, but in case you are still fighting this issue, I have discovered that the WD user password is limited to 16 characters... hugh.... mine was 20 and connection fails all the time with AFP or SMB but works with web access. I have discovered this because the only option remaining to test was thinking password was screwed up... but by resetting on WD admin user page I got this error saying that password is limited to 16...

Changing password length resolve the problem.

Hope this help...Regards

Oct 10, 2015 9:47 AM in response to stoufeeq

I've also notice flakiness in the finder sidebar. Not just my NAS but also a networked MacMini. I {nuked the finder plist files in ~/Library/... and restarted Finder and restarted the OS} a couple of times. I don't know if this helped or which part of this dance helped but it's working better now. A work around is to just put an alias to he on your desktop and click it to mount.

Oct 11, 2015 4:14 PM in response to stoufeeq

I, too, lost my connectivity through Finder after I switched to El Capitan, but I noticed that when I installed El Capitan that the system told me that it have found some software that was incompatible with El Capitan on my iMac. That software happened to be WD Smartware, but I don't remember it saying WD, just Smartware. At the time it didn't matter, because I didn't know what the Smartware was, so I went ahead with the upgrade to El Capitan.

I would suggest that the loss of Smartware might have something to do with our problems... or might be the problem in itself. I'm going to check with WD and see if there's any updates to the Smartware for El Capitan.

Oct 20, 2015 12:16 PM in response to stoufeeq

I too have the same issue.

Files are accessible only using the mycloud web and the provided 'WS My Cloud' application .. 😟.. So unable to reach the time machine 😟

Even the suggested workarounds didn't work 😟 ...afp and smb was working for 1 day ... after that those failed too..

ARP is not resolving the MAC .. Unable to ping both sides... Tried to SSH the MyCloud and pinged the Mac.. failed ... failed...

Meanwhile, WD is aware of this and checkout the URL;

https://community2.wdc.com/t/os-x-10-11-el-capitan-finder-connection-failure/24

Oct 22, 2015 12:04 PM in response to DogwoodPete

I think the Smartware program was WD's attempt to make the WD drive accessibility to be seamless regardless of where you're at. i.e. At home or Starbucks. If you don't need to access the drive when away from your LAN then you don't need Smartware. (I think). Regardless, I deleted it and I can access my WD Nas via the finder's "Connect to server" dialog box. It's just the sidebar that flakey.

Oct 22, 2015 2:23 PM in response to lederermc

Actually it's not just the sidebar. I tried using the "Connect to server" box from the Finder tool bar "Go" tab, and it still tells me,

"The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again."

I have the icon for the MyCloud on my desktop, but that doesn't help when I want to directly access files from within other apps....

It's hard to save files to the MyCloud if I can't reference it directly from the save feature in an app...

At this point all I can use it for is to transfer files that are already created for storage purposes...

Oct 24, 2015 5:28 AM in response to Humayun Rashid

The issue is still there but there are work arounds in place.

I managed to figure out one solution after which the side bar icon kind of worked. But sometimes it wouldn't.

The solution is "Always Trust" (for all options) the *.wd2go.com certificate in the keychain (i.e. if it is visible there at all).

There is another method which kind of stays stable over long periods of sleep / wake cycles of the Mac.

In Finder > Preferences > General - Check the Connected Servers under Show these items on the desktop.

Mount the drive manually - Command+K and type the URL afp://wdmycloud.com (assuming this is the hostname of the drive - you can change it to the IP address of the drive)

You will get a password prompt, and after entering the password you will get a dialog box with a list of file systems. Check the ones that you want to mount and click ok.

The drives will be mounted and corresponding icons will appear on the desktop.

I tried it without the option of displaying drives / connected servers (file systems) on the desktop - but the connection to the drive was flaky and used to drop whenever I closed the finder. Having the icons of the filesystems of the WD drive makes the connection stable somehow.

Funny thing is, with the second method (filesystem icons visible on the desktop), the WDMyCloud link in the sidebar of the finder doesn't work. It loads the folders in the drive (actually file systems) and when you click them it says Operation can't be completed because the original item for the <Filesystem> can't be found.

In the Finder > Preferences > Devices - Check the name of your Mac. An icon will appear in the sidebar and when you click it you will see the Devices mounted which will include the file systems of the WD MyCloud drive. (just in case you want to open those locations from the finder instead of going to the desktop and clicking that filesystem/drive icon).

Nov 23, 2015 1:24 PM in response to stoufeeq

This is a good temp step, but are Apple and WD speaking on this? Or from what I am hearing all NAS manufacturers are having this same issue. I think all of us have had plenty of patience with this.

Apple any progress? I sure hope that you have not become big and arrogant. I still would like to be a loyal customer in the future. My true fix for this has been resorting to my older PC.

Dec 4, 2015 11:37 AM in response to stoufeeq

I think I found a solution. I did not have *.wd2go.com certificate in my keychain at all so workarounds proposed above did not work

1. Deleted device-xxxxxxx-xxxxxx.wd2go.com certificate from my keychain
  2. Enabled SSH access to the drive
  3. Connected to the drive and changed /etc/hostname to match exactly the name in certificate (device-xxxxxxx-xxxxxx.wd2go.com)
  4. init 6, disk rebooted and showed up in finder
  5. edited /etc/hosts on my mac and added mapping (disk IP to device-xxxxxxx-xxxxxx.wd2go.com)

Now it works fine, I can access it from finder, use in Time Machine - things are back to normal.

WD MyCloud NAS drive not accessible in El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.