Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound card issue and solution - windows 10 - windows 8

Hi Everyone!

So. Recently I was about to install windows 10 on my macbook pro, cause I had to get into some programming in visual studio. I came up with a common known problem with the sound card, that windows was unable to detect the sound card in my mac. Apparently I did some digging around in the net, and I found out that this problem comes down to an EFI boot issue where Windows (if you are installing it from an USB drive during EFI boot) does not recognize the sound card properly. The solution is pretty simple: forget installing your windows from an USB drive. You have to install it via Optical Drive from DVD with BIOS boot. This is the only way that windows will recognise the driver for it, no matter how hard u try after installing it, with boot-camp or just downloading the drivers from the official sites. The easiest way to get the sound card working properly is, to make an USB disk from boot-camp, with the drivers on it, then burn a DVD from the original windows ISO. Then You have to install it from the DVD. After you've done this, Just simply install the boot-camp drivers from the USB drive with the provided setup.exe in the bootcamp directory of the USB drive. Then all of your drivers should work properly.

Hope this post will help anyone who are having troubles with the cirrus logic sound cards or any other sound cards that not working properly during EFI install.

MacBook Pro, Windows 10

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 10:29 AM

16 replies

Jan 2, 2018 11:07 AM in response to Loner T

Please, somebody could help me? I'm with the same problem.

My Windows (8.1) is completely installed. But the sound doesn't work!

I did like Loner said, my BIOS mode is: UEFI and my macbook is a Macbook Pro Late 2011 (i5).

I installed it without the Bootcamp (was with some bugs), using a USB Flash drive, only was 2 options: Mac and EFI Boot, I choosed EFI Boot and installed perfectly. After, I installed the drivers from my bootcamp that I got.

How can I change to the BIOS mode for work properly? I never used "Winclone"...

Jan 2, 2018 3:15 PM in response to Wesleyig

The Windows icon from the DVD (as shown) is the legacy BIOS installer.

By default, if you start BC Assistant, insert your DVD, partition your disk, and do not interrupt the installer in any way till you see the first installation screen with list of partitions, it is a BIOS installer and creates a BIOS Windows installation.

If you do interrupt the normal flow, and choose EFI Boot, this is the EFI Installer.

Jan 4, 2018 6:38 PM in response to Loner T

Man ... I love you guys! Since September, I was trying to successfully install Win on my Mac, and thanks to this post I got it today. He showed me many errors, but now everything is solved!

To summarize: I just installed Windows through BootCamp. My BC was not the problem, it was my USB flash drive (I changed it), there was no third option in the bootcamp to allow USB, so I used tips on the net and edited the BC source code. I installed the Windows manually and I made it with EFI on my MBP 2011 (I didn't know nothing about) and the sound didn't work. So I uninstalled it, but the partitions were created with hidden errors, I started my mac and pressed Cmd + R and opened my Disk Utility from there and left as factory: 1 primary partition and in BC I separated after. This after many research on internet!

Thank u a lot guys!

Jun 8, 2016 2:15 PM in response to longelas

Your post got me thinking. I was having the same problem after restoring with Winclone version 5.5. I went back into Winclone and selected my Bootcamp drive. I opened the little gear icon under the list and selected the Legacy Boot Option instead of the EFI Boot option I used when I first restored the drive. The System Integrity Protection in OS X 10.11.5 needed to be disabled first [Recovery Partition --> Terminal --> crsutil disable].

As soon as the MBR record was fixed by Winclone, the drive showed up as a "Windows" drive when I rebooted holding down the option key. The sound drivers loaded properly in Windows. All was fixed.

You were correct that it was an EFI Boot issue, but the fix was a bit easier. Thanks!

Dec 14, 2016 2:05 PM in response to longelas

I have a Macbook 8, 1 (Late 2011) I struggle getting the sound to work and I was successfully able to do so and installed Windows 10. This can be done with Windows 8 too. Forget about Bootcamp. After soooo many attempts I got it to work!. Super easy, you need to install windows with UEFI Support.

1. Partition your windows drive with DiskUtility

2. Insert your Windows DVD

3. Restart your Mac

4. Hold the Option button when booting

NOTE: You may see 3 options (Mac OS, Windows, and EFI Boot)

5. SELECT "Windows"

6. Install

7. Once Windows is installed, install the Bootcamp drivers

8. Enjoy the sound of your Mac

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Also, you can create a USB flash drive to install Windows WITH UEFI Support. Follow the link below for more info.

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-usb-installation

Please let me know if you have any questions. Enjoy amigos!

SagaJim

Dec 14, 2016 2:46 PM in response to sagajim

sagajim wrote:

Super easy, you need to install windows with UEFI Support.

4. Hold the Option button when booting

NOTE: You may see 3 options (Mac OS, Windows, and EFI Boot)

5. SELECT "Windows"

EFI Boot = UEFI

Windows = BIOS

Run msinfo32 and check BIOS Mode. On 2011/2012 Macs Audio requires BIOS Mode. Late 2013 and 2014 models support both. 2015 and later models support only EFI.

Sound card issue and solution - windows 10 - windows 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.