Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After updating to El Capitan, all of the photos I added to a project that I was working on goes black when reviewing the video.

I updated to El Capitan in the middle of working on an iMovie project using iMovie 11. After the update, any photo that I had brought in from iPhoto will go black when reviewing my project video.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 7:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 5:53 AM

Me too - and I had other sound issues with Soundflower and Adobe Audition CS5.5 that I've now resolved.

Not the first time I've upgraded my OS X and software has stopped working. I need to get cracking with my iMovie project! Please fix, Apple! And my trust, again of downloading the latest OS X has been damaged.

67 replies

Oct 8, 2015 3:39 PM in response to boyars

Exactly the same problem here. All photos which were in every project now show as black, Also any photos that I add to the project do exactly the same.

I tried very unsuccessfully to update to the latest iMovie as a workaround yet when I try the file/update projects and events it starts to import but then crashes hard with

Application Specific Information:

*** -[NSKeyedUnarchiver initForReadingWithData:]: incomprehensible archive (0x62, 0x70, 0x6c, 0x69, 0x73, 0x74, 0x30, 0x30)

abort() called

So along with the fact that my Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac crashes every 10 minutes, the fact I can no longer import images from my iPhone, the fact that Adobe illustrator is also showing crashing issues this is not looking very stable from multiple angles,

Oct 19, 2015 7:22 PM in response to hyndman

Same problem with me but from photos in my iPhone 6 Plus. After upgrading iMovie 10.1 all of photos from Canon EOS40D which were imported to Photos are no longer accessible from iMovie. The Photos library in iMovie is simply blank. Any photos imported to iMovie from Canon photos are not accessible. iMovie 10.1 with Yosemite is working fine but problem with ElCapitan .

Oct 19, 2015 12:26 PM in response to boyars

Hi. I discover your thread now after filling a bug report at level "serious bug" on bugreport.apple.com. I also have a project that has taken countless of hours to build I can't work with anymore. Many thumbnails are just "blue" and on the "blue" thumbnails and thumbnails still correct, no video is playing in the monitor. It seems that I'm able to export the whole project to FCPX and the project seems to work. So I may guess that the project is not totally broken but it's a rendering issue for still pictures we all encounter. When importing in FCPX, the whole medias are re-opened so it may correct the issue there. Not much more to tell right now.

Oct 19, 2015 10:37 PM in response to boyars

I have the same problem no image (photo) will display in the viewer doesn't matter where I import it from since I upgraded to El Crapitan. I'm still using imovie 9 because it has the option to use a second monitor. I use this to play video at shows and I need 2 displays, one for the audience to see and one for me to navigate through the videos onstage. Why did they remove the second monitor option from imovie 10? Doesn't make any sense. Now imovie 9 won't display photos? What's going on? Not happy. Would love it if someone could find a fix. I've been trying for hrs!

Oct 21, 2015 5:52 PM in response to boyars

Updated to El Capitan 10.11.1 today. Issue with iMovie playback is still there. Still images do not show up and just black screen. Increasingly frustrated as I have projects that I needed to use which are useless and as indicated I am seeing issues when trying to upgrade to the latest iMovie format as it will not import. Is anyone at Apple even aware of this issue for their customers.

Oct 25, 2015 1:57 PM in response to boyars

Hi.

It seems that I solved the "blue thumbnails" and "black rendering" issue with easy simple actions :

1. Check that iMovie is closed and that you have a good backup !

2. Open the iMovie Library with Show Package Contents

3. Open the folder of the event related to the project and delete the sub-folders inside "Render Files"

4. Open the folder of the project and delete the sub-folders inside "Render Files"

5. Launch iMovie and enjoy that all the thumbnails are now back (expect some rebuilding in background).

See you.

Nov 2, 2015 12:46 PM in response to Franck S

Hi,

This did not solve my problem, that all the photos of all my project in iMovie 9.0.4 (do not dare to upgrade to iMovie 10..., and 9.0.9 is not available in App Store). In iMovie 9.0 there are rcproject-files for each project. I open this package. But they do not contain "Render Files". It contains the folder "Movies" (if you have created a movie), the binary file "Project", the folder "Proxies" (the localized movie-clips), the folder "QuickLook" (contains Thumbnail.jpg), The QuickTime-file "Still Images" (contains all the stills lasting 1 s in a movie), and the binary file "Still Thumbnails".

I have recently upgraded to El Capitan (10.11.1), and the problems started after that.

So Apple, please fix this!

Best regards,

Malvin

Nov 2, 2015 4:06 PM in response to boyars

I am having the same problem, and am using iMovie version 9.0.4

My iMovie project contains Christmas themed stills at the beginning of each section of yearly movies. After editing my iMovie project, I finalized the project, then exported it to a memory stick.

When I went back to re-edit the project again, all of my Christmas themed stills had turned black! I tried deleting them and installing new ones but they are also black now! What can I do to get the coloured stills back into my movies? This problem seems to have occured since I updated my iMac operating system software to ElCapitan.

Thanks for your help

After updating to El Capitan, all of the photos I added to a project that I was working on goes black when reviewing the video.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.