Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail VIP Mailbox not working Properly after El Capitan Update

I have recently update to El Capitan and have noticed that my VIP mailboxes in Apple Mail are not collecting as usual.

Some mailboxes have no email and others have only 2 and the maximum is 6.

I have unselected each VIP and reselected them. This didn't make a change. I launched the application. Still nothing. I restarted the computer, same result....nothing.

On my iPhone, all of the emails are in the VIP mailboxes. When I look at the inbox on the server (our company uses gmail as the host), all of the emails are there.

I can search inside the "Inbox" (not VIP Inbox) and find the emails no problem, but that's not what I've been doing for years with VIP.

Is anyone else having this problem? Do you know of a fix?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 4:51 AM

22 replies

Oct 6, 2015 4:31 PM in response to jerrybarn

I see this same problem since upgrading to El Capitan. The mail in the VIP boxes is old and only a few of them are collected. All of the mail from these VIP folks is in the IN box. The VIP boxes are very handy as I get a lot of mail each day and having the VIP mail collected is a necessity. Is there a fix for this??

Oct 9, 2015 9:59 AM in response to Kirk Bodick

It is confusing here as to how to reply to messages upstream. Guess I'll post it here.

Thanks for the solution. It worked! And, it was an easy fix.

I wonder why that was necessary. Must be another bug in this release of El Capitan.

I appreciate this forum those who are willing to post answers to our problems!

Apple Mail VIP Mailbox not working Properly after El Capitan Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.